Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My doctor thinks I should be much better by Friday

Posted by Valerie S on 4/17/01 at 09:38 (044807)

Hi.
At my appointment yesterday, my pod gave me some gel heel cups and told me to call him on Friday regarding going back to work next Monday. He seemed to think that I could be feeling much better by then, with these great heel cups cushioning my heel.

I don't understand why he was first telling me that I needed the support under my arch and is now lifting my foot above the arch support... I understand that we need to try everything, but this makes no sense to me. The cushions feel good for about 5 minutes.

So, I called to prepare my doc for my calling him on Friday to tell him that I am not ready for work. He seems to think that it will make me feel better emotionally if I go back to work. I wish he could understand that the only way I will feel better is if I can get rid of this pain!! He tells me that I am the worst case he has, but that he wants me to be ready to go back to work next week. I am so tired of everything being such a battle!

Somehow I must find a way to get him to help me out here... I wish he would just fix the orthotics. Oh well... thanks for listening.

Val.

Re: My doctor thinks I should be much better by Friday

Nancy N on 4/17/01 at 10:47 (044816)

Val--

I'm confused. Is this the same doctor who was looking into ESWT for you? Why does he suddenly think that the heel cups will help? Do the orthotics help at all without them? I tried that heel-cup-plus-orthotic routine when I was in PT a little over a year ago, and it did cushion things, but certainly didn't solve the problem.

This may be a stupid question, but did you tell him that the only way you're going to feel better is if he takes you seriously and works with you to do something about the pain? Going back to work is only going to make you feel worse if you have to be on your feet all day, and may affect your ability to go back out on disability (I don't know anything about disability, but I seem to recall hearing that once you go back to work, you can't take any more time. Don't take my word for it, though, because I'm really not sure). Have you been in touch with a WC lawyer? If not, I would call one NOW.

And I would be very firm with your doctor, maybe saying something like 'I need you to hear what I am saying, that I am in pain, it is not getting any better, the orthotics need to be adjusted, the heel cups make me feel worse, and the only thing that will make me feel better emotionally or phyiscally is getting rid of this pain!' I'd emphasize the part about needing him to hear you. Clearly, he's not doing that now.

Good luck--call a lawyer, too! And let us know how it's going.

BrianG on 4/17/01 at 10:53 (044819)

Well how nice Val, it's nice to know you'll be healed this time next week! I hate to suggest this, but isn't it time to look for a new Pod? This man is working for you, he should be listening to what you say. Your right, it is a battle, and you need your Pod to be fighting for you, not dismissing you. I hope you live in a large enough area that finding another doctor won't be a lot of trouble. Why not have a talk with him. Tell him you still need treatmwent, not work. Ask him if he'll assist you, if not, look for one who will. He is working for you, not the insurance company!!! Good luck

BCG

Nancy N on 4/17/01 at 11:01 (044820)

Val--

Brian has some good points, too. Maybe you could see who he was going to send you to for ESWT and then just go there on your own? But this is a matter you can control, and if you don't feel that you're getting the attention you need with your current doc, it's time to find a new one.

JudyS on 4/17/01 at 11:16 (044822)

Valerie - I began wondering as I read your post - is your Podiatrist fairly new to the profession? For him to send you back to work 8-hour days on a concrete floor makes no medical sense. If you're the worst PF case he's seen in such a short amount of time, then he's never really seen a chronic case before. And he doesn't seem to understand the various conditions that contribute to chronic PF.

Re: So, your doctor has the cure??

Paula G. on 4/17/01 at 13:07 (044841)

Gee, Val...nice to know that your podiatrist has the cure. Wow that must be worth a good million at least.
So sorry you are having such a problem. Why does a doctor have such a problem letting someone be off work.
Can I ask you one thing? The Disability Act has the law on your side in this....if he can give you some sort of note then where you work MUST by law abide by that.
My boss hated it when I had a note that I could only work so many hours. But, by law they had to accomodate. I was a cashier and I could have made them give me a stool to sit on and not stand at all and they would have had to do that too.
I don't know what you do, but is there an alternative to being on your feet but still working?

Pauline on 4/17/01 at 16:10 (044860)

Hi Val,
Maybe we should all set our watches by this doctors time. He seems to have a cure in his back pocket. Maybe his wallet. I like Brian G posting. Better start looking for another doctor. There are so few doctors who are using ESWT I bet we could narrow down where he might suggest you go. There are only 5 doctors in the U.S. who have the Orbasone machine and Healthronics has a published listing of their doctors locations. We know about the ones in Canada so we might be able to help you out.

Re: Stick a fork in him.............he's done!

Steve P on 4/17/01 at 16:56 (044864)

Oh Val, my heart sank when I read your post. What can this pod possibly be thinking? This guy doesn't have a clue! I think you need to pick up the phone & talk directly with a knowledgeable ESWT pod. But do it soon & make your ESWT podiatrist your new & only podiatrist.

If your current pod can't recognize a chronic, long-term case of PF & thinks it would be 'better emotionally' to start aggravating your feet again all day long, there's no hope for him.

Please get a WC lawyer & an ESWT pod right away. This is ridiculous!

Beverly on 4/17/01 at 17:36 (044870)

Val,

In my many attempts to find a doctor who would take my pain seriously, doctor #2, was convinced that gel style insoles and his favorite anti-inflammatory pill were going to 'cure' me in a few weeks. When I went back a couple of weeks later to report that I felt no better, he seemed more irritated with me than anything else. I ended up changing doctors.

If your doctors says you have the worst case of PF he's seen in a long time, I don't understand why he would send you back to working on your feet all day.

Have you consulted an attorney yet?

Hang in there,
Beverly

Re: Let's cut him a little slack...

Valerie S on 4/17/01 at 19:27 (044890)

Hi.

I really believe that my doctor is trying to help me and is also frustrated by my lack of response to the endless treatment options that he has offered me. Every time I go to see him, I just tell him, 'Well, that didn't work either...' I know that you all want to rip him apart... for some reason he thinks working is easier on a person's psyche than not-working... I won't let him make me go back until I am ready. If he truly gives up on me, THEN I will find a new pod. I already got a 2nd opinion, and she pretty much backed up what he was doing, except thought I needed better orthotics. Meanwhile, he is working with an ESWT pod, trying to coordinate treatment for me, or at least see if it might be an option. I am so scared about going back to work... but I think he will back me up on my feelings about whether I am ready to go back to that torture-chamber. I come here to express my fears, and your comments and support really help me get the courage I need to tell him what I need.

I have talked to him... and now he knows the heel cups aren't working. He won't be surprised when I call on Friday for an extension on my leave of absence...

Thanks for sticking up for me, guys... I must say that when you attack my doctor so vehemently, it makes me feel a little defensive. I am trying hard to work WITH my doctor, and I believe that he really does want me to get better, even if it is just so he won't have to look at me anymore!! He is recognizing the severity of my case by looking into new ways to help me, so I am going to stick with him for a little while. Everyone has the right to their own opinions of course, but I need my energy to fight off heel pain... I don't have enough to be defending my choice in doctors too. Call me stupid. (you are, aren't you??)

I know I have to call a lawyer, and I will. I know I HAVE been dragging my feet... It is like an ethical dilemma for me, the whole WC thing. I don't know if I even have a case, and if I do, I don't want to abuse the system. That is a whole different story... I just wanted you all to know that I appreciate the support. Please don't knock my doctor too hard... I need to be able to trust someone... And Doctor-shopping sucks.

Thanks again for all your support. I would be totally lost without the people here... I really get a lot of strength and courage from the advice and caring shown to me here. I hope I didn't offend anyone... for some reason, I really felt the need to defend my choice in doctors.

Thanks... Take it easy... Val.

Re: WC

Nancy N on 4/17/01 at 19:34 (044891)

Val--

Calling a WC lawyer is the only way you'll find out if you have a case. I would imagine that the longer you drag your feet, the harder it's going to be for you to make that case (but I could be wrong about that, I don't have any WC experience). It's good of you not to want to abuse the system, but you should also feel free to take advantage of the system as necessary--after all, that's why it exists. A good lawyer will steer you in the right direction, so I'd get out there and see what you can learn to help yourself out by finding out exactly what options you have.

(PS, I agree--doctor-shopping is a real pain!)

Valerie S on 4/17/01 at 19:37 (044893)

Hi Nancy... you're right.

Thanks for understanding. I don't know why it is so hard to pick up the phone. The receiver seems so heavy when you have to make a dreaded phone call...

Pathetic.

Val.

Steve P on 4/17/01 at 19:55 (044896)

Val -- I'm sorry for coming on too strong about your doctor. I didn't mean to question his sincerity. I'm just very disheartened by the bottom line.....nothing worked, so go back to work. No! I can't possibly accept that.

You are FAR from stupid! I hope that neither I nor anyone else here has implied that we thought so. You have asked intelligent, thoughtful questions from the beginning & are working as hard as one possibly could to be an informed patient. Again, my apologies for anything I may have said.

I think your best bet from here on is to concentrate on the ESWT pod. Hang on.....you'll get there!

Steve

Re: To Steve and other kind friends.

Valerie S on 4/18/01 at 08:28 (044940)

Hi.

Thank you again for caring enough to help me make decisions about what to do next. I would really be lost without the support and input that I get from my new friends here. I hope I did not offend YOU with my defensive and pitiful nature... hee hee.

I am not offended by anything you have ever said to me, Steve. You are one of the kindest and most understanding people, and I know that you are looking out for my interest, and that you know from experience what I am going through. I really appreciate having you as a friend and advisor. Please don't stop giving me your suggestions.

I just felt the urge to stand up for my decision. I really want to trust my doctor to do the right thing. This is the first time that I have ever gone to see a doctor on a regular basis for anything... ever.

Thanks again... I have mood swings... hee hee.

Take it easy....Val.

Nancy N on 4/17/01 at 10:47 (044816)

Val--

I'm confused. Is this the same doctor who was looking into ESWT for you? Why does he suddenly think that the heel cups will help? Do the orthotics help at all without them? I tried that heel-cup-plus-orthotic routine when I was in PT a little over a year ago, and it did cushion things, but certainly didn't solve the problem.

This may be a stupid question, but did you tell him that the only way you're going to feel better is if he takes you seriously and works with you to do something about the pain? Going back to work is only going to make you feel worse if you have to be on your feet all day, and may affect your ability to go back out on disability (I don't know anything about disability, but I seem to recall hearing that once you go back to work, you can't take any more time. Don't take my word for it, though, because I'm really not sure). Have you been in touch with a WC lawyer? If not, I would call one NOW.

And I would be very firm with your doctor, maybe saying something like 'I need you to hear what I am saying, that I am in pain, it is not getting any better, the orthotics need to be adjusted, the heel cups make me feel worse, and the only thing that will make me feel better emotionally or phyiscally is getting rid of this pain!' I'd emphasize the part about needing him to hear you. Clearly, he's not doing that now.

Good luck--call a lawyer, too! And let us know how it's going.

BrianG on 4/17/01 at 10:53 (044819)

Well how nice Val, it's nice to know you'll be healed this time next week! I hate to suggest this, but isn't it time to look for a new Pod? This man is working for you, he should be listening to what you say. Your right, it is a battle, and you need your Pod to be fighting for you, not dismissing you. I hope you live in a large enough area that finding another doctor won't be a lot of trouble. Why not have a talk with him. Tell him you still need treatmwent, not work. Ask him if he'll assist you, if not, look for one who will. He is working for you, not the insurance company!!! Good luck

BCG

Nancy N on 4/17/01 at 11:01 (044820)

Val--

Brian has some good points, too. Maybe you could see who he was going to send you to for ESWT and then just go there on your own? But this is a matter you can control, and if you don't feel that you're getting the attention you need with your current doc, it's time to find a new one.

JudyS on 4/17/01 at 11:16 (044822)

Valerie - I began wondering as I read your post - is your Podiatrist fairly new to the profession? For him to send you back to work 8-hour days on a concrete floor makes no medical sense. If you're the worst PF case he's seen in such a short amount of time, then he's never really seen a chronic case before. And he doesn't seem to understand the various conditions that contribute to chronic PF.

Re: So, your doctor has the cure??

Paula G. on 4/17/01 at 13:07 (044841)

Gee, Val...nice to know that your podiatrist has the cure. Wow that must be worth a good million at least.
So sorry you are having such a problem. Why does a doctor have such a problem letting someone be off work.
Can I ask you one thing? The Disability Act has the law on your side in this....if he can give you some sort of note then where you work MUST by law abide by that.
My boss hated it when I had a note that I could only work so many hours. But, by law they had to accomodate. I was a cashier and I could have made them give me a stool to sit on and not stand at all and they would have had to do that too.
I don't know what you do, but is there an alternative to being on your feet but still working?

Pauline on 4/17/01 at 16:10 (044860)

Hi Val,
Maybe we should all set our watches by this doctors time. He seems to have a cure in his back pocket. Maybe his wallet. I like Brian G posting. Better start looking for another doctor. There are so few doctors who are using ESWT I bet we could narrow down where he might suggest you go. There are only 5 doctors in the U.S. who have the Orbasone machine and Healthronics has a published listing of their doctors locations. We know about the ones in Canada so we might be able to help you out.

Steve P on 4/17/01 at 16:56 (044864)

Oh Val, my heart sank when I read your post. What can this pod possibly be thinking? This guy doesn't have a clue! I think you need to pick up the phone & talk directly with a knowledgeable ESWT pod. But do it soon & make your ESWT podiatrist your new & only podiatrist.

If your current pod can't recognize a chronic, long-term case of PF & thinks it would be 'better emotionally' to start aggravating your feet again all day long, there's no hope for him.

Please get a WC lawyer & an ESWT pod right away. This is ridiculous!

Beverly on 4/17/01 at 17:36 (044870)

Val,

In my many attempts to find a doctor who would take my pain seriously, doctor #2, was convinced that gel style insoles and his favorite anti-inflammatory pill were going to 'cure' me in a few weeks. When I went back a couple of weeks later to report that I felt no better, he seemed more irritated with me than anything else. I ended up changing doctors.

If your doctors says you have the worst case of PF he's seen in a long time, I don't understand why he would send you back to working on your feet all day.

Have you consulted an attorney yet?

Hang in there,
Beverly

Valerie S on 4/17/01 at 19:27 (044890)

Hi.

I really believe that my doctor is trying to help me and is also frustrated by my lack of response to the endless treatment options that he has offered me. Every time I go to see him, I just tell him, 'Well, that didn't work either...' I know that you all want to rip him apart... for some reason he thinks working is easier on a person's psyche than not-working... I won't let him make me go back until I am ready. If he truly gives up on me, THEN I will find a new pod. I already got a 2nd opinion, and she pretty much backed up what he was doing, except thought I needed better orthotics. Meanwhile, he is working with an ESWT pod, trying to coordinate treatment for me, or at least see if it might be an option. I am so scared about going back to work... but I think he will back me up on my feelings about whether I am ready to go back to that torture-chamber. I come here to express my fears, and your comments and support really help me get the courage I need to tell him what I need.

I have talked to him... and now he knows the heel cups aren't working. He won't be surprised when I call on Friday for an extension on my leave of absence...

Thanks for sticking up for me, guys... I must say that when you attack my doctor so vehemently, it makes me feel a little defensive. I am trying hard to work WITH my doctor, and I believe that he really does want me to get better, even if it is just so he won't have to look at me anymore!! He is recognizing the severity of my case by looking into new ways to help me, so I am going to stick with him for a little while. Everyone has the right to their own opinions of course, but I need my energy to fight off heel pain... I don't have enough to be defending my choice in doctors too. Call me stupid. (you are, aren't you??)

I know I have to call a lawyer, and I will. I know I HAVE been dragging my feet... It is like an ethical dilemma for me, the whole WC thing. I don't know if I even have a case, and if I do, I don't want to abuse the system. That is a whole different story... I just wanted you all to know that I appreciate the support. Please don't knock my doctor too hard... I need to be able to trust someone... And Doctor-shopping sucks.

Thanks again for all your support. I would be totally lost without the people here... I really get a lot of strength and courage from the advice and caring shown to me here. I hope I didn't offend anyone... for some reason, I really felt the need to defend my choice in doctors.

Thanks... Take it easy... Val.

Nancy N on 4/17/01 at 19:34 (044891)

Val--

Calling a WC lawyer is the only way you'll find out if you have a case. I would imagine that the longer you drag your feet, the harder it's going to be for you to make that case (but I could be wrong about that, I don't have any WC experience). It's good of you not to want to abuse the system, but you should also feel free to take advantage of the system as necessary--after all, that's why it exists. A good lawyer will steer you in the right direction, so I'd get out there and see what you can learn to help yourself out by finding out exactly what options you have.

(PS, I agree--doctor-shopping is a real pain!)

Valerie S on 4/17/01 at 19:37 (044893)

Hi Nancy... you're right.

Thanks for understanding. I don't know why it is so hard to pick up the phone. The receiver seems so heavy when you have to make a dreaded phone call...

Pathetic.

Val.

Steve P on 4/17/01 at 19:55 (044896)

Val -- I'm sorry for coming on too strong about your doctor. I didn't mean to question his sincerity. I'm just very disheartened by the bottom line.....nothing worked, so go back to work. No! I can't possibly accept that.

You are FAR from stupid! I hope that neither I nor anyone else here has implied that we thought so. You have asked intelligent, thoughtful questions from the beginning & are working as hard as one possibly could to be an informed patient. Again, my apologies for anything I may have said.

I think your best bet from here on is to concentrate on the ESWT pod. Hang on.....you'll get there!

Steve

Re: To Steve and other kind friends.

Valerie S on 4/18/01 at 08:28 (044940)

Hi.

Thank you again for caring enough to help me make decisions about what to do next. I would really be lost without the support and input that I get from my new friends here. I hope I did not offend YOU with my defensive and pitiful nature... hee hee.

I am not offended by anything you have ever said to me, Steve. You are one of the kindest and most understanding people, and I know that you are looking out for my interest, and that you know from experience what I am going through. I really appreciate having you as a friend and advisor. Please don't stop giving me your suggestions.

I just felt the urge to stand up for my decision. I really want to trust my doctor to do the right thing. This is the first time that I have ever gone to see a doctor on a regular basis for anything... ever.

Thanks again... I have mood swings... hee hee.

Take it easy....Val.