Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

clarification of question, does the pf heal

Posted by Laura L on 4/17/01 at 11:13 (044821)

I guess my specific question is: after rupture does the plantar fascia actually grow back together. Would it be different if it is a partial rupture? I no longer have that little springboard in the arch of my foot and I am just wondering what is in my future, ie more pf problems, just other problems etc

My new ortho put me in a cast and I forgot to ask about prognosis. Just trying to get a feel for what I should 'expect' to hear. Earlier you all gave me the info I needed to get a second opinion and get 'real treatment'

Thanks!

Re: clarification of question, does the pf heal

Dr Zuckerman on 4/17/01 at 12:09 (044834)

Rupture of the pf can resolve the pf insertional pain, but can cause arch and pain in other areas of the foot. I just read where just 1/4 cutting of the pf in foot surgery shifts the entire weight of the foot to the outside joints of the foot which as the calcaneal-cuboid joint. If is important to discuss with your treating doctor the use of biomechanical orthosis to help prvent or control this weight shifting. I hope that this is helpful for you

Re: clarification of question, does the pf heal

Dr Zuckerman on 4/17/01 at 12:09 (044834)

Rupture of the pf can resolve the pf insertional pain, but can cause arch and pain in other areas of the foot. I just read where just 1/4 cutting of the pf in foot surgery shifts the entire weight of the foot to the outside joints of the foot which as the calcaneal-cuboid joint. If is important to discuss with your treating doctor the use of biomechanical orthosis to help prvent or control this weight shifting. I hope that this is helpful for you