Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Well, I am told there is nothing wrong with me....

Posted by Paula G. on 4/17/01 at hrmin (044844)

I don't know where else to go right now except here. I just got off the phone with my podiatrist office. I had an MRI last week of my foot. I am told that everything is normal....that I am just fine....that there is nothing that this doctor can do for me anymore....
I cannot walk, I have constant agonizing chronic pain in my feet. They told me that the MRI would have shown any kind of inflammation..and it was all negative.
Has anyone experienced this? I have year old x-rays showing moderate sized heel spurs. I had a orthopedist diagnose me with PF on exam a year ago. Now I am told I am fine....

Re: Well, I am told there is nothing wrong with me....

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/17/01 at 15:11 (044850)

So why the foot pain? MRI and x-ray can be normal limits still doesn't mean you are fine. You have pain. and this has to be addressed some way.

Steve P on 4/17/01 at 17:01 (044865)

Paula -- I have chronic PF & had an MRI. The radiologist wrote that there was 'no evidence of plantar fasciitis'. ??????? But all 3 docs who have examined me said it's clearly PF.

The MRI is not the final word. Keep pressing ahead with treatment.

Steve

Beverly on 4/17/01 at 17:24 (044868)

My MRI of my feet showed only a 'scant' amount of inflammation. Yet, my mobility had been greatly reduced to doing just the bare neccessities of life. The doctor stayed with his diagnosis of PF and PTT.
Take care,
Beverly

Richard Perez, DPM on 4/17/01 at hrmin (044871)

MRI's do not always show pathology. They have excellent sensitivity, but they are not 100% diagnostic. I often have 'normal' MRI findings in the face of clinical pain and suffering.
Richard Perez, DPM

Kay S on 4/17/01 at 18:07 (044876)

Paula
My MRI was negative also, and I have had this pain for almost five years.
My first EMG was negative and one a year later was done by a different tech and that showed nerve entrapment. Sometimes medical tests are not conclusive, and you just have to go with the patient's symptoms. Does your doctor think you would PRETEND to hurt????? (ridiculous, of course)
Lots of us here have had negative MRI's and we still hurt like heck, so either we're all crazy, or your doctor is...........
Kay

Re: Nothing wrong with you??? NONSENSE!!!

Valerie S on 4/17/01 at hrmin (044878)

Hi Paula.
If I remember correctly, your doc was resistant to the idea of the MRI. Maybe this is why...??

Anyway, with the amount of pain you are in, CLEARLY there is SOMETHING wrong with you. Your doctor didn't really say that there was nothing he could do, did he?? He still knows that you have PF, and he still needs to address your pain.

Don't give up. You can make it through this... and when you feel like you can't, you still have us! Big help with the pain, I know... but just let me know how I can help... I'll drive down to Kzoo to see you, or we can meet in Wayland.. bring the kids... they can push us in the stroller... hee hee. Keep your chin up, my friend. Try to remember your not alone.

Your friend, Val.

Valerie S on 4/17/01 at hrmin (044879)

Hi Paula.
If I remember correctly, your doc was resistant to the idea of the MRI. Maybe this is why...??

Anyway, with the amount of pain you are in, CLEARLY there is SOMETHING wrong with you. Your doctor didn't really say that there was nothing he could do, did he?? He still knows that you have PF, and he still needs to address your pain.

Don't give up. You can make it through this... and when you feel like you can't, you still have us! Big help with the pain, I know... but just let me know how I can help... I'll drive down to Kzoo to see you, or we can meet in Wayland.. bring the kids... they can push us in the stroller... hee hee. Keep your chin up, my friend. Try to remember you're not alone.

Your friend, Val.

Re: Doctor said I did not need an MRI

Paula G. on 4/17/01 at hrmin (044880)

Thanks for the support! I was quite down when I talked to the doctor. He can no longer be of any help to me...I was told that!!! So I have no idea what to do now. I had x-rays proving heel spurs last year. I went to a doctor who said I definitely had PF also...This doctor has basically wiped his hands of me. It hurts a lot to be treated like that. My husband says I am a demanding patient...which means I won't just sit back and do nothing...
You just reach a point you no longer know what to do..I did what Brian suggested on here and got some calcium, magnesium and boron supplements and will give that a try..
I feel like I have been told it is all in my head...I still just cannot believe this doctor has washed his hands of me....

Nancy N on 4/17/01 at 18:46 (044883)

Paula--

Sounds like it's time for YOU to wash your hands of HIM. Seriously, he works for you, not the other way around, and you've got great cause to fire him and find someone else. Take the MRI and x-rays with you if you can (and you should be able to do that, too, I believe). Find someone else as soon as you can.

Donna M. on 4/17/01 at 20:50 (044902)

Hi Paula G,
I can tell by reading your message you are down and really shocked by this MRI and the Dr's attitude!! I would be also!! But after you get over the initial shock and how unbelievable this ordeal has been, I think you will finally come to the conclusion he didn't want to do anything or know what else to do!!! Most GOOD Drs. will refer you to someone else if they are stumped and don't know where to turn! This Dr. sounds like he thinks he is the only one that knows anything, and if he referred you to someone else, it would make him look bad!
Personally, I think you are lucky to be getting rid of him!! If I thought a doctor, whom I was paying, cared no more for me than that, I'd wouldn't want him touching me!!
You deserve better than that!! Like I said, consider yourself lucky!! Now go find a really GOOD doctor!!
Good luck and hang in there!! We all know it's not in your head!!

Re: Ever just get doctored out?

Paula G. on 4/17/01 at hrmin (044912)

Yes, I know you are right. The one good thing I have gotten from this doctor....the only thing...are the night splints. Those do help my feet.
Reading these postings, although not the norm, it is not necessarily uncommon to get a normal reading MRI. I am not a doctor and am not sure what all that shows...but yes, I was deeply shocked at getting a negative result. All the doctor would say is it was negative. Not even inflammation. No wonder the anti-inflammatory does not work for me.
I knew I could come here and get support and honest feedback from everyone.
Dr Z....I wish you, and others like you, were the majority not the minority. People come here post questions and get informative answers.
I am not sure what way to go now....but will keep on trying. I am really doctored out right now.

Re: Time for some other opinions Re: Well, I am told there is nothing wrong with me....

Donna SL on 4/18/01 at 01:41 (044922)

Paula,

A lot of times an MRI will not show anything, even though you have a lot of pain. Sometimes it's good to have someone else read the MRI too. I had an old ankle fracture, and it seems that's all the radiologist was concerned about, and he seemed to skim over everything else. The MRI report mentioned some fluid in the ankles, and other minor things, but said my PF was normal with no evidence of Plantar fasciitis. My doctor, and another doctor together re-read the MRI together, and found fluid in my midfoot on the MRI that was not mentioned on the first report, plus several other things that were never mentioned. He also did a bone scan which was positve for PF. I think Mri's are probably over rated for showing inflamation, but are good to rule out major tears, damage, masses, etc.

He diagnosed me as having PF, but still missed a major diagnosis. I finally got a second opinion. I have been seeing him over a year for treatment, and he did not pick up that I had nerve entrapment of two major nerves in my feet, that was causing most of my pain. I went to someone else who listened to what symptoms I was having, plus he gave me a through exam, and told me I had nerve entrapment, and said the previous treatments I was having were not addressing this. This was then confirmed with a positive nerve conduction test. As Dr Z, and other doctors on this board have said an exam, and listening to the complaints the patient has ie very important in making a diagnosis. It's important to get second, third, and forth opinion if necessary.

You may be better off at this point to try someone else other than a podiatrist of orthopedist. Try getting an appointment with a physiatrist (physical medicine and rehab doc) for a start, which are excellent for diagnosing soft tissue problems. I would also definately see a neurologist, and maybe a rheumatologist.

You are having serious pain in a part of your body, and you need someone to tell you what is causing it. It's probably just PF, but sometimes pods, and md's just write off any type of non specific foot pain as inflamation of the plantar fascia. I knew my PF was healing, and something else was going on, and not right. I would have never have found out about this if I kept sticking with my pod. I'm also going to make sure something else is not going on, and causing all these foot problems.

Donna

Re: It is just hard when the patient is fired....

Paula G. on 4/18/01 at hrmin (044932)

Thanks Donna. It just makes you want to give up. I guess it had been ok if I'd of fired the doctor. But for him to say that to me? I look back and I wonder if he ever really believed me...He had to be almost forced to even give me a mild pain medication....I would be the one to go in and ask 'what about this..what about that'..things I had read here on this board. I made the mistake maybe of telling him about this board and the doctors here...
It is all just very strange....don't you think? That just abruptly like that 'okay, we're done??' Maybe he is just plain STUPID!! I just felt like a very big fool and the confidence in what I was truly feeling was shaken badly....Until this morning...when I cannot walk....These people do not realize they are playing with our self-confidence as well as our pain.
It hurts us enough with the immobility. Sorry, I know that is not what this board is for.....I feel like I just keep slamming that doctor..I just cannot help it. He basically told me my pain is nothing. I have been fighting for over a year to get somewhere.....You know two steps forward about 4 steps back?

Re: Don't give up

Helene M on 4/18/01 at 08:26 (044939)

Paula,
Please don't give up. I cannot walk much at all and my MRI's/X-rays were perfectly normal. After many years of being diagnosed with PF, I recently was told I have nerve entrapment. I think this was missed by the drs. for a long time. Drs. have washed their hands of me, too. I am still trying to find a dr.in my area who cares. Yes, I am angry that so much time has gone by but I will not give up. You shouldn't either.

Nancy N on 4/18/01 at 08:45 (044941)

Paula--

Let's rearrange the thought process here just a little:

You don't work for your doctor; your doctor works for you.

Therefore, it's impossible for him to have fired you, because you don't work for him.

You, however, are going to fire him, and in doing so, will be taking control of your life, your health, and your treatment.

YOU are the one with the POWER in this situation. It's important for you to realize that. It's not your fault that you have a problem with your feet. It's not your fault that your doctor doesn't care enough to try to help you with it or to refer you to someone else.

The only way that any of this can be your fault is if you let this one, unhelpful doctor destroy your sense of power over this situation. It's your choice to make, and I have the feeling that you'll use that power to go find someone else who can help. Get on the phone and see who you can find--many people on this board have had good luck with sports medicine docs, too, so you might see if you can find one of those. But the important thing is to get out there and find someone who can help you and just forget this current guy. He's not worth the stress you're putting yourself through over him.

Donna SL on 4/18/01 at 09:21 (044946)

Paula,

Yes your doctor is probably just a plain stupid idiot. You should never never let someone like that ever shake your confidence. There are a lot of idiot doctors out there. My sister was having back pains, and other serious aches and pains in her bones at 38 years old. She saw her interinst who sent her to a orthopedist. The orthopedist just sent her to PT, and kept giving her all kinds of pain killers. This went on for a year. When she wasnt't getting better, instead of referring her to someone else, he just kept treating her like she was some difficult pain in the ass patient, and basically told her there was nothing wrong with her.

She finaly went to someone else, and found out she bone marrow cancer (multiple myeloma), and by that time it was too late. She passed away 5 months after the diagnosis. I realize now her doctor was a complete f.....ing idiot. When I looked over her medical records after she passed away, I looked up all her symtoms on the net, and many bone diseases came up. (I wished I had done that before). Her doctor never investigated any of these possibilities.

I'm sorry to bring something like this up, but I'm trying to make a point.
You have to find someone that cares enough about their patients to either investigate the problem, or refer you to someone that can help you. I'm sure there is nothing seriously wrong with you, but what if you have some type of nerve condition for example, that could be helped with some medication or treatment? There are many different things that can cause foot pain, and it should be taken as a very serious complaint. The cause should be investigated, and treated. It may be something as simple as poor biomechanics, or case of peripheral neuropathy.

You shouldn't feel bad about slamming the doc. You can image what I would like to do to my late sister's doctor. (It's almost impossible to sue a doctor in California for mis-diagnosis). I've come to the point that I don't trust many doctors anymore, and I don't think anyone else should either. If something is bothering you then you should get several opinions. I know some docs are going to say doctors are only human, but that's a bunch of baloney. That's their job to care, and investigate things, or they shouldn't be practicing medicine.

Part of this board is for symptoms, and I think it is important that anyone having long term foot problems have their symptoms investigated futher.

Donna

Paula G. on 4/18/01 at hrmin (044953)

Oh Donna yes, you got your point across. I am so sorry about your sister. Unfortunately, this happens all too often. Sad that we laymen must also have better than medical degrees. I bet these MD's hate the internet....I thank God I have it.
I do not know why a doctor will act like this. As in your sister's case also...Do they just get immune to listening to the same old pain story?
That is no excuse. Because I have only been seeing this doctor for a couple months.
I had one 5 minute consult with an orthopedist for 2nd opinion and walked out and said I was NOT paying them anything. Never got a bill yet..If I do, I will send a letter and probably 5.00 and tell them they better call it even.

Donna SL on 4/18/01 at 13:15 (044987)

Paula,

Good for you. Glad you walked out.

I agree. Thank god for the internet!!!

Donna

Re: For Helene Re: Don't give up try ART

Donna SL on 4/18/01 at 14:17 (044994)

Helene,

I just did a search and followed your post for the last few years. I can't believe my symptoms were a mirror image of yours, and I was suffering from many of the same problems you did for close to two years. I have high arches, had atypical PF symtoms like you had, problems from orthotics making things worse (I have a whole drawer full of custom orthotics). The last pair I tried gave me a two month flare-up, and they were made from a soft material. I was also just diagnosed with nerve entrapment. Please try the ART. It's helping me already. Look at my post on ART.

In addition just get a cushioned accomadative orthotic, preferably an OTC like a spenco cross trainer, and tape your feet everyday, while you are going through this treatment, until you start to improve. If you supinate severely, ask a pod to give you a small wedge (1/16' thick) made of birkocork, or felt to put in your shoe under the orthotic on the lateral side that runs to just before the met heads to the heel. All the corrective orthotics with the deep heel cups etc., and any type of rise near the medial side presses on the nerves, or stretches them, and makes things worse. The pod that diagnosed me with the nerve entrapment explained this to me about the traditional orthotics, and told me they would just make things worse for now.

Donna

Re: Time for a change

Neva S on 4/19/01 at hrmin (045155)

Hang in there Paula. We all know there is something wrong, regardless of what the MRI and Dr. have said. It isn't always an easy choice to dump a doctor and look elsewhere but sometimes it is best. I have given thanks many times that I did just that. The first finally wanted to do surgery. The 2nd started from scratch to prove that I hadn't really tried everything possible and kept stringing me along. #3 is a pod that is understanding of my pain, sympathetic AND knowledgable of ESWT and accepted that I have tried 'everything' and still have pain. I am now 2 1/2 weeks post Ossatron ESWT and truly believe that There Is Hope! There are some great Drs. out there (and here on this board). Neva

BrianG on 4/20/01 at 18:47 (045228)

Well, you can count me in with the group that is hurting like hell, but my MRI and Bone Scan showed very lttle, maybe just a small amount of inflamation. My original Pod also gave up on me a couple years ago. I have't given up yet, but it's all so discouraging. I'd really like to apply for Social Security Dsability, but it's damn near impossible when there is no 'all important code' for PF, and my films don't show squat!!! What a mess. What a health care system!

BCG

Re: Brian, hope you read this...

Paula G. on 4/24/01 at hrmin (045536)

Hey Brian...I guess PF is kind of like those 'back injuries' that can never be proven..Glad to know I am not the only normal one in such pain!
I sometimes don't even want to get out of bed. Strange, how there is no pain while laying down in bed..I prolong it and hate getting up anymore because it hurts!!
I don't understand how an MRI will show nothing.....I have Old x-rays proving the heel spurs....

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/17/01 at 15:11 (044850)

So why the foot pain? MRI and x-ray can be normal limits still doesn't mean you are fine. You have pain. and this has to be addressed some way.

Steve P on 4/17/01 at 17:01 (044865)

Paula -- I have chronic PF & had an MRI. The radiologist wrote that there was 'no evidence of plantar fasciitis'. ??????? But all 3 docs who have examined me said it's clearly PF.

The MRI is not the final word. Keep pressing ahead with treatment.

Steve

Beverly on 4/17/01 at 17:24 (044868)

My MRI of my feet showed only a 'scant' amount of inflammation. Yet, my mobility had been greatly reduced to doing just the bare neccessities of life. The doctor stayed with his diagnosis of PF and PTT.
Take care,
Beverly

Richard Perez, DPM on 4/17/01 at hrmin (044871)

MRI's do not always show pathology. They have excellent sensitivity, but they are not 100% diagnostic. I often have 'normal' MRI findings in the face of clinical pain and suffering.
Richard Perez, DPM

Kay S on 4/17/01 at 18:07 (044876)

Paula
My MRI was negative also, and I have had this pain for almost five years.
My first EMG was negative and one a year later was done by a different tech and that showed nerve entrapment. Sometimes medical tests are not conclusive, and you just have to go with the patient's symptoms. Does your doctor think you would PRETEND to hurt????? (ridiculous, of course)
Lots of us here have had negative MRI's and we still hurt like heck, so either we're all crazy, or your doctor is...........
Kay

Valerie S on 4/17/01 at hrmin (044878)

Hi Paula.

Don't give up. You can make it through this... and when you feel like you can't, you still have us! Big help with the pain, I know... but just let me know how I can help... I'll drive down to Kzoo to see you, or we can meet in Wayland.. bring the kids... they can push us in the stroller... hee hee. Keep your chin up, my friend. Try to remember your not alone.

Your friend, Val.

Valerie S on 4/17/01 at hrmin (044879)

Hi Paula.

Don't give up. You can make it through this... and when you feel like you can't, you still have us! Big help with the pain, I know... but just let me know how I can help... I'll drive down to Kzoo to see you, or we can meet in Wayland.. bring the kids... they can push us in the stroller... hee hee. Keep your chin up, my friend. Try to remember you're not alone.

Your friend, Val.

Paula G. on 4/17/01 at hrmin (044880)

Thanks for the support! I was quite down when I talked to the doctor. He can no longer be of any help to me...I was told that!!! So I have no idea what to do now. I had x-rays proving heel spurs last year. I went to a doctor who said I definitely had PF also...This doctor has basically wiped his hands of me. It hurts a lot to be treated like that. My husband says I am a demanding patient...which means I won't just sit back and do nothing...
You just reach a point you no longer know what to do..I did what Brian suggested on here and got some calcium, magnesium and boron supplements and will give that a try..
I feel like I have been told it is all in my head...I still just cannot believe this doctor has washed his hands of me....

Nancy N on 4/17/01 at 18:46 (044883)

Paula--

Sounds like it's time for YOU to wash your hands of HIM. Seriously, he works for you, not the other way around, and you've got great cause to fire him and find someone else. Take the MRI and x-rays with you if you can (and you should be able to do that, too, I believe). Find someone else as soon as you can.

Donna M. on 4/17/01 at 20:50 (044902)

Hi Paula G,
I can tell by reading your message you are down and really shocked by this MRI and the Dr's attitude!! I would be also!! But after you get over the initial shock and how unbelievable this ordeal has been, I think you will finally come to the conclusion he didn't want to do anything or know what else to do!!! Most GOOD Drs. will refer you to someone else if they are stumped and don't know where to turn! This Dr. sounds like he thinks he is the only one that knows anything, and if he referred you to someone else, it would make him look bad!
Personally, I think you are lucky to be getting rid of him!! If I thought a doctor, whom I was paying, cared no more for me than that, I'd wouldn't want him touching me!!
You deserve better than that!! Like I said, consider yourself lucky!! Now go find a really GOOD doctor!!
Good luck and hang in there!! We all know it's not in your head!!

Re: Ever just get doctored out?

Paula G. on 4/17/01 at hrmin (044912)

Yes, I know you are right. The one good thing I have gotten from this doctor....the only thing...are the night splints. Those do help my feet.
Reading these postings, although not the norm, it is not necessarily uncommon to get a normal reading MRI. I am not a doctor and am not sure what all that shows...but yes, I was deeply shocked at getting a negative result. All the doctor would say is it was negative. Not even inflammation. No wonder the anti-inflammatory does not work for me.
I knew I could come here and get support and honest feedback from everyone.
Dr Z....I wish you, and others like you, were the majority not the minority. People come here post questions and get informative answers.
I am not sure what way to go now....but will keep on trying. I am really doctored out right now.

Re: Time for some other opinions Re: Well, I am told there is nothing wrong with me....

Donna SL on 4/18/01 at 01:41 (044922)

Paula,

A lot of times an MRI will not show anything, even though you have a lot of pain. Sometimes it's good to have someone else read the MRI too. I had an old ankle fracture, and it seems that's all the radiologist was concerned about, and he seemed to skim over everything else. The MRI report mentioned some fluid in the ankles, and other minor things, but said my PF was normal with no evidence of Plantar fasciitis. My doctor, and another doctor together re-read the MRI together, and found fluid in my midfoot on the MRI that was not mentioned on the first report, plus several other things that were never mentioned. He also did a bone scan which was positve for PF. I think Mri's are probably over rated for showing inflamation, but are good to rule out major tears, damage, masses, etc.

He diagnosed me as having PF, but still missed a major diagnosis. I finally got a second opinion. I have been seeing him over a year for treatment, and he did not pick up that I had nerve entrapment of two major nerves in my feet, that was causing most of my pain. I went to someone else who listened to what symptoms I was having, plus he gave me a through exam, and told me I had nerve entrapment, and said the previous treatments I was having were not addressing this. This was then confirmed with a positive nerve conduction test. As Dr Z, and other doctors on this board have said an exam, and listening to the complaints the patient has ie very important in making a diagnosis. It's important to get second, third, and forth opinion if necessary.

You may be better off at this point to try someone else other than a podiatrist of orthopedist. Try getting an appointment with a physiatrist (physical medicine and rehab doc) for a start, which are excellent for diagnosing soft tissue problems. I would also definately see a neurologist, and maybe a rheumatologist.

You are having serious pain in a part of your body, and you need someone to tell you what is causing it. It's probably just PF, but sometimes pods, and md's just write off any type of non specific foot pain as inflamation of the plantar fascia. I knew my PF was healing, and something else was going on, and not right. I would have never have found out about this if I kept sticking with my pod. I'm also going to make sure something else is not going on, and causing all these foot problems.

Donna

Paula G. on 4/18/01 at hrmin (044932)

Thanks Donna. It just makes you want to give up. I guess it had been ok if I'd of fired the doctor. But for him to say that to me? I look back and I wonder if he ever really believed me...He had to be almost forced to even give me a mild pain medication....I would be the one to go in and ask 'what about this..what about that'..things I had read here on this board. I made the mistake maybe of telling him about this board and the doctors here...
It is all just very strange....don't you think? That just abruptly like that 'okay, we're done??' Maybe he is just plain STUPID!! I just felt like a very big fool and the confidence in what I was truly feeling was shaken badly....Until this morning...when I cannot walk....These people do not realize they are playing with our self-confidence as well as our pain.
It hurts us enough with the immobility. Sorry, I know that is not what this board is for.....I feel like I just keep slamming that doctor..I just cannot help it. He basically told me my pain is nothing. I have been fighting for over a year to get somewhere.....You know two steps forward about 4 steps back?

Re: Don't give up

Helene M on 4/18/01 at 08:26 (044939)

Paula,
Please don't give up. I cannot walk much at all and my MRI's/X-rays were perfectly normal. After many years of being diagnosed with PF, I recently was told I have nerve entrapment. I think this was missed by the drs. for a long time. Drs. have washed their hands of me, too. I am still trying to find a dr.in my area who cares. Yes, I am angry that so much time has gone by but I will not give up. You shouldn't either.

Nancy N on 4/18/01 at 08:45 (044941)

Paula--

Let's rearrange the thought process here just a little:

You don't work for your doctor; your doctor works for you.

Therefore, it's impossible for him to have fired you, because you don't work for him.

You, however, are going to fire him, and in doing so, will be taking control of your life, your health, and your treatment.

YOU are the one with the POWER in this situation. It's important for you to realize that. It's not your fault that you have a problem with your feet. It's not your fault that your doctor doesn't care enough to try to help you with it or to refer you to someone else.

The only way that any of this can be your fault is if you let this one, unhelpful doctor destroy your sense of power over this situation. It's your choice to make, and I have the feeling that you'll use that power to go find someone else who can help. Get on the phone and see who you can find--many people on this board have had good luck with sports medicine docs, too, so you might see if you can find one of those. But the important thing is to get out there and find someone who can help you and just forget this current guy. He's not worth the stress you're putting yourself through over him.

Donna SL on 4/18/01 at 09:21 (044946)

Paula,

Yes your doctor is probably just a plain stupid idiot. You should never never let someone like that ever shake your confidence. There are a lot of idiot doctors out there. My sister was having back pains, and other serious aches and pains in her bones at 38 years old. She saw her interinst who sent her to a orthopedist. The orthopedist just sent her to PT, and kept giving her all kinds of pain killers. This went on for a year. When she wasnt't getting better, instead of referring her to someone else, he just kept treating her like she was some difficult pain in the ass patient, and basically told her there was nothing wrong with her.

She finaly went to someone else, and found out she bone marrow cancer (multiple myeloma), and by that time it was too late. She passed away 5 months after the diagnosis. I realize now her doctor was a complete f.....ing idiot. When I looked over her medical records after she passed away, I looked up all her symtoms on the net, and many bone diseases came up. (I wished I had done that before). Her doctor never investigated any of these possibilities.

I'm sorry to bring something like this up, but I'm trying to make a point.
You have to find someone that cares enough about their patients to either investigate the problem, or refer you to someone that can help you. I'm sure there is nothing seriously wrong with you, but what if you have some type of nerve condition for example, that could be helped with some medication or treatment? There are many different things that can cause foot pain, and it should be taken as a very serious complaint. The cause should be investigated, and treated. It may be something as simple as poor biomechanics, or case of peripheral neuropathy.

You shouldn't feel bad about slamming the doc. You can image what I would like to do to my late sister's doctor. (It's almost impossible to sue a doctor in California for mis-diagnosis). I've come to the point that I don't trust many doctors anymore, and I don't think anyone else should either. If something is bothering you then you should get several opinions. I know some docs are going to say doctors are only human, but that's a bunch of baloney. That's their job to care, and investigate things, or they shouldn't be practicing medicine.

Part of this board is for symptoms, and I think it is important that anyone having long term foot problems have their symptoms investigated futher.

Donna

Paula G. on 4/18/01 at hrmin (044953)

Oh Donna yes, you got your point across. I am so sorry about your sister. Unfortunately, this happens all too often. Sad that we laymen must also have better than medical degrees. I bet these MD's hate the internet....I thank God I have it.
I do not know why a doctor will act like this. As in your sister's case also...Do they just get immune to listening to the same old pain story?
That is no excuse. Because I have only been seeing this doctor for a couple months.
I had one 5 minute consult with an orthopedist for 2nd opinion and walked out and said I was NOT paying them anything. Never got a bill yet..If I do, I will send a letter and probably 5.00 and tell them they better call it even.

Donna SL on 4/18/01 at 13:15 (044987)

Paula,

Good for you. Glad you walked out.

I agree. Thank god for the internet!!!

Donna

Re: For Helene Re: Don't give up try ART

Donna SL on 4/18/01 at 14:17 (044994)

Helene,

I just did a search and followed your post for the last few years. I can't believe my symptoms were a mirror image of yours, and I was suffering from many of the same problems you did for close to two years. I have high arches, had atypical PF symtoms like you had, problems from orthotics making things worse (I have a whole drawer full of custom orthotics). The last pair I tried gave me a two month flare-up, and they were made from a soft material. I was also just diagnosed with nerve entrapment. Please try the ART. It's helping me already. Look at my post on ART.

In addition just get a cushioned accomadative orthotic, preferably an OTC like a spenco cross trainer, and tape your feet everyday, while you are going through this treatment, until you start to improve. If you supinate severely, ask a pod to give you a small wedge (1/16' thick) made of birkocork, or felt to put in your shoe under the orthotic on the lateral side that runs to just before the met heads to the heel. All the corrective orthotics with the deep heel cups etc., and any type of rise near the medial side presses on the nerves, or stretches them, and makes things worse. The pod that diagnosed me with the nerve entrapment explained this to me about the traditional orthotics, and told me they would just make things worse for now.

Donna

Re: Time for a change

Neva S on 4/19/01 at hrmin (045155)

Hang in there Paula. We all know there is something wrong, regardless of what the MRI and Dr. have said. It isn't always an easy choice to dump a doctor and look elsewhere but sometimes it is best. I have given thanks many times that I did just that. The first finally wanted to do surgery. The 2nd started from scratch to prove that I hadn't really tried everything possible and kept stringing me along. #3 is a pod that is understanding of my pain, sympathetic AND knowledgable of ESWT and accepted that I have tried 'everything' and still have pain. I am now 2 1/2 weeks post Ossatron ESWT and truly believe that There Is Hope! There are some great Drs. out there (and here on this board). Neva

BrianG on 4/20/01 at 18:47 (045228)

Well, you can count me in with the group that is hurting like hell, but my MRI and Bone Scan showed very lttle, maybe just a small amount of inflamation. My original Pod also gave up on me a couple years ago. I have't given up yet, but it's all so discouraging. I'd really like to apply for Social Security Dsability, but it's damn near impossible when there is no 'all important code' for PF, and my films don't show squat!!! What a mess. What a health care system!

BCG

Re: Brian, hope you read this...

Paula G. on 4/24/01 at hrmin (045536)

Hey Brian...I guess PF is kind of like those 'back injuries' that can never be proven..Glad to know I am not the only normal one in such pain!
I sometimes don't even want to get out of bed. Strange, how there is no pain while laying down in bed..I prolong it and hate getting up anymore because it hurts!!
I don't understand how an MRI will show nothing.....I have Old x-rays proving the heel spurs....