Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New ESWT Statement

Posted by Scott R on 4/18/01 at 06:59 (044929)

In response to Kim's earlier long long post about Dr. Z and the Orbasone (which I only now just read), I've added a statement to the top of the ESWT board in addition to what is located on the ESWT page. Kim's long long post was well-written and 95% honest which is more than I can say for many of our posts. It was also very nice considering the topic that she wanted to discuss. Does Dr. B use the Orbasone? I hope this post gets posted to the right board.

Re: New ESWT Statement

Scott R on 4/18/01 at 07:04 (044930)

For those using 'view messages since your last visit', the statement I've addded to the top of the ESWT board is:

The OssaTron has FDA approval to treat chronic proximal plantar fasciitis. The Orbasone 'can only be marketed for general pain relief without reference to specific sites on the body.' Dr. Zuckerman uses the Orbasone.

Nancy N on 4/18/01 at 09:01 (044944)

Scott--

Why single out Dr. Z? Why not put up a link to another page, where each doctor who posts is listed along with the machine he or she uses? I think that would be much more helpful, and would also show the variety of machines that are represented on the board. Patients could direct their questions about a specific machine to the doctor(s) who use it.

Steve P on 4/18/01 at 09:42 (044948)

Scott, I agree with Nancy. How about the Sonocur & others? If you're going to list one Dr & the machine he uses why not list the others & the machines they use?

john h on 4/18/01 at 12:09 (044970)

The mechanical principles of ESWT are so simple that the only differences would seem to be in the power appplied and the experience of the operator in where to focus the energy. Spark-gap technology which produces shock waves is what it is. Some doctors may use more or less power and more or less number of shock waves. Some may put you to sleep, some shots to the foot, and some just apply the shockwaves. In the final analysis it would appear that the operator will have more to do with the success of the procedure than which machine is used although the low power multi treatment approach is a very different approach than a OssaTron or Orbasone. Finding where to focus the very narrow shock wave is crucial to any success and this is where the operator experience comes into play.

JudyS on 4/18/01 at 13:01 (044983)

Scott, I am in agreement that there is no need to single out Dr. Z. As our education about ESWT has grown, why not just add a description of each machine, it's status and it's capabilities to your 'products' page or somewhere pertinant? Also, I hope you'll change the language of your statement to read that the Orbasone 'is' marketed for general pain relief.....as opposed to 'can only be....'. This removes any negative connotation. The Orbasone, after all, is not banned from use! Then, more legal or technical language could be included in the description of each machine. I think both Pauline and Kim are capable of writing those descriptions with contributions from the Docs, and perhaps one or two others could then edit them for your final approval before adding them to the products page.
I also am a writer and would be happy to create the descriptions based on information from the Docs, readers and the FDA. Just say the word.

Scott R on 4/18/01 at 07:04 (044930)

For those using 'view messages since your last visit', the statement I've addded to the top of the ESWT board is:

The OssaTron has FDA approval to treat chronic proximal plantar fasciitis. The Orbasone 'can only be marketed for general pain relief without reference to specific sites on the body.' Dr. Zuckerman uses the Orbasone.

Nancy N on 4/18/01 at 09:01 (044944)

Scott--

Why single out Dr. Z? Why not put up a link to another page, where each doctor who posts is listed along with the machine he or she uses? I think that would be much more helpful, and would also show the variety of machines that are represented on the board. Patients could direct their questions about a specific machine to the doctor(s) who use it.

Steve P on 4/18/01 at 09:42 (044948)

Scott, I agree with Nancy. How about the Sonocur & others? If you're going to list one Dr & the machine he uses why not list the others & the machines they use?

john h on 4/18/01 at 12:09 (044970)

The mechanical principles of ESWT are so simple that the only differences would seem to be in the power appplied and the experience of the operator in where to focus the energy. Spark-gap technology which produces shock waves is what it is. Some doctors may use more or less power and more or less number of shock waves. Some may put you to sleep, some shots to the foot, and some just apply the shockwaves. In the final analysis it would appear that the operator will have more to do with the success of the procedure than which machine is used although the low power multi treatment approach is a very different approach than a OssaTron or Orbasone. Finding where to focus the very narrow shock wave is crucial to any success and this is where the operator experience comes into play.

JudyS on 4/18/01 at 13:01 (044983)

Scott, I am in agreement that there is no need to single out Dr. Z. As our education about ESWT has grown, why not just add a description of each machine, it's status and it's capabilities to your 'products' page or somewhere pertinant? Also, I hope you'll change the language of your statement to read that the Orbasone 'is' marketed for general pain relief.....as opposed to 'can only be....'. This removes any negative connotation. The Orbasone, after all, is not banned from use! Then, more legal or technical language could be included in the description of each machine. I think both Pauline and Kim are capable of writing those descriptions with contributions from the Docs, and perhaps one or two others could then edit them for your final approval before adding them to the products page.
I also am a writer and would be happy to create the descriptions based on information from the Docs, readers and the FDA. Just say the word.