Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Planters Fascitis

Posted by Mark H. on 4/18/01 at hrmin (044945)

I have been diagnosed with PF. Ihave been reading articles on the causes of this condition, and have not found anything refering to my situation. I'm would like a possible opionion. I've been driving a towmotor, forklift for over 5 years. Last June 16'00, I hit a gap between a trailer and the main floor dock (about 18' wide) because the dock plate was not put in place. This impact caused a sudden jaring of my whole body.About 1 week later I began to notice a small sore spot in my left heel. This pain grew increasingly worse as time went by, and I began to mention this to my Medical Dept. in Aug.2000. I finally notified them in Oct.2000, that I was having a hard time walking in the morning and that it was bothering me more and more during the day. I finally got in to see a Doctor in Jan.'01, and since then have gone through X-rays, orthotics in my left shoe, bone scan, and an MRI. My main question is that since I drive a towmotor, a piece of equipment that has no shock absorbers, that I drive in and out of trailers, that is like a small speed bump, and I'm also required to constantly get off my lift to keep production lines stocked, and this is being done on concrete floors or the hard wood floors of truck trailers, would this kind of activity be similiar to constant walking, running, standing, etc?Also, my left heel is resting on a steel floorboard of the towmotor the entire time that I am driving.

Re: Planters Fascitis

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/18/01 at 19:48 (045021)

From your job description your standing on hard cement and using the foot in a repetitive motion eveyday is a big part of the problem.

So what did the mri and bone scan show. How bad is the pain in the am.
You have to do something if the pain is the same or increasing.

What kind of boots are you wearing.?

Mark H. on 4/19/01 at hrmin (045074)

The bone scan showed a 'hotspot' which led to the order for the MRI.All I was told about the MRI is that it showed a problem and they just said it was a 'classic' case of Planters Fascitis. Along with the other tests, I also received a shot of cotisone(?). The shot lasted about a day and a half, then it was as if I never received the shot.I hve been wearing an orthotics support in my right shoe for about 2 months now. I wear just regular tennis shoes at work because they have the most flexibily. The pain in the morning is almost unbearable, but then slowly goes away, anywhere from 30 min. to 2 hours. But there hasn't been a been a day that I have had NO pain for the entire day since the injury. I also experience alot of discomfort in the evening after doing minor work in my yard. I also should mention that I have not worked since March 15th, so I have not been on my feet that much. I guess one of my main questions is that, could the sudden impact of hitting the gap on my towmotor been the initial cause of my problem? I have had no problems with my feet until this siuation occured. The 'company' doctor said that is was 'unlikely' and that I would have had severe pain almost immediately. According to the articles I have found on the internet, even though there are several suspected causes for this condition, I have read that sudden trama or impact can lead to this condition. I also have read that the pain starts slowly and increases at a slow pace until the person realizes that they have a serious problem.I'm not sure if you want to answer my main question or not, but any direction you could give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank You for your time so far and I hope you can help me more. Mark H.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/20/01 at 07:45 (045167)

Hi,

Any time of injury and or repetitive motion to the foot or heel can bring oh pf and or heel spur pain. So what kind of treatment are you presenting doing.?

Mark H. on 4/20/01 at hrmin (045172)

Dr. Z. First, I would like to thank you for your time. Also, thank you for clarifying the possibility of an injury causing PF. As for my current treatment: Limited time on my feet(that's why I'm not working), I'm to wear a tretch and heel splint 6 to 8 hours a day, and I was just given an anti-inflamatory prescription Vioxx 25mg., which I have not yet had filled. I had a real bad experience with Daypro(?) last year, so I'm a little leary about this drug. It was explained that Vioxx would not bother my stomach like the Daypro did. Other than that, this is the extent of my treatment. Thanks again for your time and I'm always open for suggestions. Mark H.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/20/01 at 08:53 (045174)

Hi,

Any talk of physical therapy at this point. Proper stretching is a big part of the get better process. Take a look at the on-line book about heel pain and look at the stretching section.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/18/01 at 19:48 (045021)

From your job description your standing on hard cement and using the foot in a repetitive motion eveyday is a big part of the problem.

So what did the mri and bone scan show. How bad is the pain in the am.
You have to do something if the pain is the same or increasing.

What kind of boots are you wearing.?

Mark H. on 4/19/01 at hrmin (045074)

The bone scan showed a 'hotspot' which led to the order for the MRI.All I was told about the MRI is that it showed a problem and they just said it was a 'classic' case of Planters Fascitis. Along with the other tests, I also received a shot of cotisone(?). The shot lasted about a day and a half, then it was as if I never received the shot.I hve been wearing an orthotics support in my right shoe for about 2 months now. I wear just regular tennis shoes at work because they have the most flexibily. The pain in the morning is almost unbearable, but then slowly goes away, anywhere from 30 min. to 2 hours. But there hasn't been a been a day that I have had NO pain for the entire day since the injury. I also experience alot of discomfort in the evening after doing minor work in my yard. I also should mention that I have not worked since March 15th, so I have not been on my feet that much. I guess one of my main questions is that, could the sudden impact of hitting the gap on my towmotor been the initial cause of my problem? I have had no problems with my feet until this siuation occured. The 'company' doctor said that is was 'unlikely' and that I would have had severe pain almost immediately. According to the articles I have found on the internet, even though there are several suspected causes for this condition, I have read that sudden trama or impact can lead to this condition. I also have read that the pain starts slowly and increases at a slow pace until the person realizes that they have a serious problem.I'm not sure if you want to answer my main question or not, but any direction you could give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank You for your time so far and I hope you can help me more. Mark H.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/20/01 at 07:45 (045167)

Hi,

Any time of injury and or repetitive motion to the foot or heel can bring oh pf and or heel spur pain. So what kind of treatment are you presenting doing.?

Mark H. on 4/20/01 at hrmin (045172)

Dr. Z. First, I would like to thank you for your time. Also, thank you for clarifying the possibility of an injury causing PF. As for my current treatment: Limited time on my feet(that's why I'm not working), I'm to wear a tretch and heel splint 6 to 8 hours a day, and I was just given an anti-inflamatory prescription Vioxx 25mg., which I have not yet had filled. I had a real bad experience with Daypro(?) last year, so I'm a little leary about this drug. It was explained that Vioxx would not bother my stomach like the Daypro did. Other than that, this is the extent of my treatment. Thanks again for your time and I'm always open for suggestions. Mark H.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/20/01 at 08:53 (045174)

Hi,

Any talk of physical therapy at this point. Proper stretching is a big part of the get better process. Take a look at the on-line book about heel pain and look at the stretching section.