Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

An interesting alternative treatment

Posted by Barb-NY on 4/18/01 at 14:15 (044993)

I probably should be on the Doctors Board, but decided to open this up to anyone who may have heard of (or used)this treatment.

I was just reading an article about how some doctor's inject bee venom under the skin in the treatment of arthritis, tendonitis and MS. Bee venom contain melittin which is a highly potent anti-inflammaory agent.

This made me think, what about PF?

Do any of our resident doctors think this may be a valid treatment?

Re: An interesting alternative treatment

Pauline on 4/18/01 at 15:49 (045000)

Barbara,
I worked with a man who was a bee keeper and indeed he did use the bees to treat arthritis. Because there is no scientific proof that this works
and because there is no FDA approval for 'Bee sting therapy' bee keepers
usually are not to eager to provide the treatment. There is always the possibility of allergic reaction. No one want's to take a chance.
It takes a lot of bees to treat one person. Once a bee stings it leaves its stinger. They like to leave the stinger in so all the 'bee juice' for lack of a better word is absorbed by the body. Multiple treatments are needed. This man used the bee to treat he and his wife. They had great results and lots of honey too. I don't know about it being used to treat PF, but anything is a possibility.

Re: An interesting alternative treatment

Pauline on 4/18/01 at 15:49 (045000)

Barbara,
I worked with a man who was a bee keeper and indeed he did use the bees to treat arthritis. Because there is no scientific proof that this works
and because there is no FDA approval for 'Bee sting therapy' bee keepers
usually are not to eager to provide the treatment. There is always the possibility of allergic reaction. No one want's to take a chance.
It takes a lot of bees to treat one person. Once a bee stings it leaves its stinger. They like to leave the stinger in so all the 'bee juice' for lack of a better word is absorbed by the body. Multiple treatments are needed. This man used the bee to treat he and his wife. They had great results and lots of honey too. I don't know about it being used to treat PF, but anything is a possibility.