Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

GASTROC SOLEUS RELEASE FOR HEEL PAIN

Posted by MARY S. on 4/18/01 at 19:53 (045024)

HAVING SURGERY MAY 25. DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THIS PROCEDURE--RECOVERY TIME--PAIN--SUCCESS RATE?? CAN ANYONE GIVE INFO?

Re: GASTROC SOLEUS RELEASE FOR HEEL PAIN

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/18/01 at 20:00 (045026)

I have never done this procedure but it does make alot of sense if you have equinus that is not allowing proper ankle motion and thus pf.

There is even a miminial incision release for this. Where are you having this procedure done. Tell us exactly why you are having this done. Alittle back ground would be very helpful for this board.

MARY S. on 4/18/01 at 20:18 (045032)

OH, THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING SO QUICKLY!! I HAVE HAD HEEL PAIN ON THE VERY BACK OF MY RIGHT FOOT FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS. IT HAS GOTTEN PROGRESSIVELY WORSE. I WAS TOLD THAT IT WAS A SPUR.
LAST WEEK I SAW A SURGEON WHO ONLY DOES FEET AND ANKLES. HE SAID THAT THE TENDON HAD CALCIFIED WHERE IT ATTACHES TO THE HEEL BONE. HE FIRST SUGGESTED A SURGERY WHERE HE WOULD TAKE THE TENDON AWAY FROM THE BONE AND TRIM THE CALCIFIED PART OF THE TENDON AWAY, REATTACH THE TENDON. THE RECOVERY WOULD BE LONG. I JUST COULDN'T FACE THAT SINCE I TEACH SCHOOL. THEN HE SUGGESTED MAKING AN INCISION ON THE BACK 0F MY CALF AND RELEASING A MUSCLE. HE SAID THIS COULD TAKE PRESSURE OFF OF THE TENDON AND HELP WITH PAIN. HE MAKES NO PROMISES BUT SAYS THAT THEY HAVE HAD GOOD RESULTS WITH THE PROCEDURE. DOES THIS INFO HELP??? THANK YOU !!!

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/18/01 at 23:08 (045041)

Mary,

If your heel spurs and painful attachment of the achilles tendon is due to a contracted tendon (it often is) then, yes, it is necessary to lengthen or rlease the tendon. I do do this surgery and it does require a 6-8 week period in a cast followed by physical therapy. The key to sucess is the therapy. Insist on being sent to a therapist after. It will make the difference in your sucess.

Re: THANKS TO DR. REID!!

MARY S. on 4/19/01 at 17:50 (045118)

I APPRECIATE THE INFORMATION YOU SHARED. SINCE THE GASTROC SOLEUS RELEASE INCISION IS MADE IN THE BACK OF THE CALF, SHOULD I BE CONCERNED WITH THAT LEG BECOMING WEAKER OR A LIMP. I THOUGHT THAT I UNDERSTOOD THE DR. TO SAY THAT AFTER TWO WEEKS I WOULD SWITCH TO A WALKING CAST. FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE, DOES THAT SOUND CORRECT? I'M JUST SO CONCERNED ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO WALK!! I'M NOT SURE I HAVE THE STRENGTH IN MY ARMS TO CARRY MY OVERWEIGHT BODY ON CRUTCHES!! I WILL HAVE EIGHT WEEKS AWAY FROM SCHOOL FOR THE SUMMER. SHOULD I BE ABLE TO RETURN TO SCHOOL WITHOUT CRUTCHES?
YOUR HELP IS SUCH A COMFORT TO ME. THANK YOU!!!
P.S. I PROMISE NOT TO ASK ANYMORE QUESTIONS TILL AFTER THE SURGERY!!

Re: HAS ANYONE HAD SURGERY CALLED GASTROC SOLEUS RELEASE FOR BACK OF HEEL PAIN??

MARY S. on 4/19/01 at 20:04 (045149)

FACING SURGERY MAY 25 AND REALLY WORRIED ABOUT OUTCOME. HAVE SUFFERED WITH THIS AWFUL PAIN FOR ABOUT THREE YEARS--IT REALLY AFFECTS THE QUALITY OF MY LIFE, BECAUSE IT DICTATES WHAT I CAN AND CANNOT DO, I TEACH SCHOOL AND STRUGGLE TO BE ON MY FEET THE MAJORITY OF THE DAY. I HATE TO LEAVE HOME ON WEEKENDS BECAUSE OF THE PAIN. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!! DOES ANYONE RELATE???

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/19/01 at 20:15 (045151)

I would probably keep you nonweightbearing 3 weeks. But its the same thing. Yes, 8 weeks is realistic. THe PT will be important afterwards. You could use a walker instead of crutches for the 2 or 3 weeks.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/20/01 at 07:34 (045166)

Thanks for answering this Dr. Reid. Always great to have someone who is willing to answer all of these important questions.

Susan U on 4/20/01 at 10:32 (045184)

Have you thought about using a walker instead of crutches? I too am very overweight and I use the walker. It's hard on the hands, but it's much easier for balance. I would suggest you try the walker instead. I borrowed mine from our town ambulance corp at no cost.

Re: THANKS, SUSAN

MARY S. on 4/20/01 at 17:16 (045222)

I WILL DO JUST THAT!! I APPRECIATE YOUR THOUGHTFULLNESS.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/18/01 at 20:00 (045026)

I have never done this procedure but it does make alot of sense if you have equinus that is not allowing proper ankle motion and thus pf.

There is even a miminial incision release for this. Where are you having this procedure done. Tell us exactly why you are having this done. Alittle back ground would be very helpful for this board.

MARY S. on 4/18/01 at 20:18 (045032)

OH, THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING SO QUICKLY!! I HAVE HAD HEEL PAIN ON THE VERY BACK OF MY RIGHT FOOT FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS. IT HAS GOTTEN PROGRESSIVELY WORSE. I WAS TOLD THAT IT WAS A SPUR.
LAST WEEK I SAW A SURGEON WHO ONLY DOES FEET AND ANKLES. HE SAID THAT THE TENDON HAD CALCIFIED WHERE IT ATTACHES TO THE HEEL BONE. HE FIRST SUGGESTED A SURGERY WHERE HE WOULD TAKE THE TENDON AWAY FROM THE BONE AND TRIM THE CALCIFIED PART OF THE TENDON AWAY, REATTACH THE TENDON. THE RECOVERY WOULD BE LONG. I JUST COULDN'T FACE THAT SINCE I TEACH SCHOOL. THEN HE SUGGESTED MAKING AN INCISION ON THE BACK 0F MY CALF AND RELEASING A MUSCLE. HE SAID THIS COULD TAKE PRESSURE OFF OF THE TENDON AND HELP WITH PAIN. HE MAKES NO PROMISES BUT SAYS THAT THEY HAVE HAD GOOD RESULTS WITH THE PROCEDURE. DOES THIS INFO HELP??? THANK YOU !!!

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/18/01 at 23:08 (045041)

Mary,

If your heel spurs and painful attachment of the achilles tendon is due to a contracted tendon (it often is) then, yes, it is necessary to lengthen or rlease the tendon. I do do this surgery and it does require a 6-8 week period in a cast followed by physical therapy. The key to sucess is the therapy. Insist on being sent to a therapist after. It will make the difference in your sucess.

MARY S. on 4/19/01 at 17:50 (045118)

I APPRECIATE THE INFORMATION YOU SHARED. SINCE THE GASTROC SOLEUS RELEASE INCISION IS MADE IN THE BACK OF THE CALF, SHOULD I BE CONCERNED WITH THAT LEG BECOMING WEAKER OR A LIMP. I THOUGHT THAT I UNDERSTOOD THE DR. TO SAY THAT AFTER TWO WEEKS I WOULD SWITCH TO A WALKING CAST. FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE, DOES THAT SOUND CORRECT? I'M JUST SO CONCERNED ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO WALK!! I'M NOT SURE I HAVE THE STRENGTH IN MY ARMS TO CARRY MY OVERWEIGHT BODY ON CRUTCHES!! I WILL HAVE EIGHT WEEKS AWAY FROM SCHOOL FOR THE SUMMER. SHOULD I BE ABLE TO RETURN TO SCHOOL WITHOUT CRUTCHES?
YOUR HELP IS SUCH A COMFORT TO ME. THANK YOU!!!
P.S. I PROMISE NOT TO ASK ANYMORE QUESTIONS TILL AFTER THE SURGERY!!

Re: HAS ANYONE HAD SURGERY CALLED GASTROC SOLEUS RELEASE FOR BACK OF HEEL PAIN??

MARY S. on 4/19/01 at 20:04 (045149)

FACING SURGERY MAY 25 AND REALLY WORRIED ABOUT OUTCOME. HAVE SUFFERED WITH THIS AWFUL PAIN FOR ABOUT THREE YEARS--IT REALLY AFFECTS THE QUALITY OF MY LIFE, BECAUSE IT DICTATES WHAT I CAN AND CANNOT DO, I TEACH SCHOOL AND STRUGGLE TO BE ON MY FEET THE MAJORITY OF THE DAY. I HATE TO LEAVE HOME ON WEEKENDS BECAUSE OF THE PAIN. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!! DOES ANYONE RELATE???

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/19/01 at 20:15 (045151)

I would probably keep you nonweightbearing 3 weeks. But its the same thing. Yes, 8 weeks is realistic. THe PT will be important afterwards. You could use a walker instead of crutches for the 2 or 3 weeks.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/20/01 at 07:34 (045166)

Thanks for answering this Dr. Reid. Always great to have someone who is willing to answer all of these important questions.

Susan U on 4/20/01 at 10:32 (045184)

Have you thought about using a walker instead of crutches? I too am very overweight and I use the walker. It's hard on the hands, but it's much easier for balance. I would suggest you try the walker instead. I borrowed mine from our town ambulance corp at no cost.

Re: THANKS, SUSAN

MARY S. on 4/20/01 at 17:16 (045222)

I WILL DO JUST THAT!! I APPRECIATE YOUR THOUGHTFULLNESS.