Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Good news continues, I went to the grocery store today!!!!

Posted by Cynthia D on 4/19/01 at 09:35 (045075)

It's too bad, I almost didn't want to post today after reading all that has taken place here, but I'm retyping after erasing my post for fear that I might get critized or involved in this whole discussion. I'm retyping for those who are recovering and those who are considering this pioneering treatment.

I, for one, am eternally grateful that today I was able to go to the grocery store!!!! (10 weeks post-Orbasone). It was the first time I had set 'foot' in there since January. I had forgotten the smell of the fresh produce and flowers, the chill in the air in the freezer section, the sheer pleasure of picking out what I wanted!!!! Sometimes the most basic things shouldn't be overlooked or taken for granted. I did cling and lean on my cart for dear life, and only walked the perimeter. Yes, I did skip many sections I wanted to go visit, but I figured first time out, better not to overdo it. I also told my friends there I couldn't stand too long to chat like usual, and just kept moving through! I even had less pain than before treatment when it came time to stand up to check out. What joy! And luckily, I have a babysitter who carried everything upstairs for me.

I chose to go to Dr. Zuckerman because at the time of my decision, he had the most experience, period. He and his staff also were very well informed and caring. I was optomistic that I would only need one treatment (and still hope that's true). Just my own personal opinion.

Excuse me, but I'm off to eat some goodies I bought all by myself! Maybe sometime soon, back to tennis?

Re: Good news continues, I went to the grocery store today!!!!

Steve P on 4/19/01 at 10:06 (045076)

Cynthia --- How absolutely terrific! Congratulations & thanks for telling us!

This is an inspiration.

Steve

JudyS on 4/19/01 at 11:55 (045097)

Isn't it amazing, Cynthia, how we can actually get gleeful about a trip to the grocery? And only those here could understand your glee! Congratulations on that trip - now don't overdo!

Beverly on 4/19/01 at 11:59 (045099)

Cynthia,

How wonderful! Keep us posted on future developments. Did you do this pain-free or with reduced pain?
Thanks,
Beverly

Jill P on 4/19/01 at hrmin (045157)

Cynthia, Congratulations!!! I can totally relate because I just made my first big outing today too to Target!! I am 8 weeks post ESWT tomorrow. I am so happy to be out and about without the crutches now this week to get into our family center for preschool and yesterday I even went to get Brittany new shoes and some summer clothes for Brandon at the mall. (I knew the shoe store was really near the enterance of Sears, and I only looked at shirts for Brandon because it was on the way out.) I feel like I am finally turning a corner and hope that I will continue to heal beyond the level of pain I had before. I would say it is about what I had before at this point, but I am being careful once I get to that point during the day to take it really easy. I'm also taking Motrin especially when I am going out like today or yesterday. I am hopeful that I will continue to be able to go longer and longer periods before I get to that level. It would be great if I healed up so well I didn't have pain, but I'm just trying to be patient to see what will happen.

I can't say for sure if I will be better with just one treatment, but I will say that I really glad I went to Dr.Z. He is one of the most caring concerned doctors I have met for this or any other condition and I have been to several over the last 5 years for another chronic pain condition involving my left side. Not only was he great at answering questions and explaining how the procedure worked, but he was concerned for me about the cost of airfare if I do need to come out for a second treatment. Personally I did lots of reading and researching over the course of a year before I entered the lotto and did so because it sounded one heck of a lot better than being drugged for the other machine. This in my opinion is not a procedure that needs to be done in a surgery center which I believe only jacks up the price. That is not a good thing for patients whether we are paying out of pocket or our insurance covers the bill. Health care is already getting too expensive.

I was sad to see all the arguing that went on here as I have been away for a while busy with the kids and all. I recommend this site to SO many people I meet with PF and have found it to be so helpful in my own recovery. Let's try to make it a place where newcomers will feel comfortable and want to stay. I certainly wouldn't want to come back again if I had just visited this board for the first time over the last few days.

Cynthia, again I am so happy and excited for you to be getting back into the action again! :) Jill P

Re: EVERYONE should read Jill's post............And STOP the attacks..............

Steve P on 4/20/01 at 09:42 (045180)

Great post, Jill! We are all so happy for you. Those of us who have been to Dr. Z & others for ESWT can especially relate & share in your joy. There IS life after PF!!!

Wow, talk about perspective.....

Let's all take a deep breath & remember the early days of our PF when we all felt a sense of desperation & lonliness. Remember how isolating the pain was, how it suddenly changed our lives, how other people --- even doctors & therapists --- couldn't fully appreciate what we were going through. Remember how important this website became to each of us, both in terms of receiving & trading vital information & in finding support from fellow sufferers. Without each other & this website, most of us would not know anything about ESWT & other important treatments & would not be as well off as we are today......and well on the road to recovery.

Consider Jill's last paragraph. Think back to those early days. Do you want newcomers to this board to be turned off, or to feel as welcome as you yourself felt the first time you came upon this board?

This is serious business directly affecting people's lives & wellbeing.

You attackers know who you are. Stop it.

Rose L on 4/20/01 at 16:50 (045219)

Cynthia - I'm thrilled for you! You braved the baseball game last weekend, church in cute shoes, then the grocery store! Wow! I'm almost 4 weeks post ESWT, as Steve is, so getting encouraging posts like yours is very much appreciated. I too am worse post ESWT and I had the low energy Sonocur! However, Heidi cranked the voltage up, and treated several different spots on my feet. I don't mind having more pain post ESWT, even severe pain, as long as I know that healing is taking place and that the pain will eventually be gone so that I can resume an active life. When you said you were hanging on the grocery cart is that because your feet hurt that bad and you were leaning to try to alleviate body weight and reduce the pain (this is what I do)...or were you just trying to not put your feet through too much exertion because they're so much better (getting close to normal?)and you do not want to disturb the healing process?
Regardless, you quite obviously have experienced a tremendous improvement and I'm so happy for you!
Rose

Cynthia D on 4/21/01 at 08:55 (045262)

Hi Rose, thanks to ESWT, yes I've pretty much gotten back into life, and it's great on the other side!! I am not walking unless it's necessary, or extremely desired, like the grocery store, and I do have twinges of pain to remind me what my feet are going thru. I have not yet exercised, just seated yoga and stretching. Next week, my instructor said we could try some standing poses! We'll see how that goes, (in sneakers/orthotics, of course).

About the cart, I hung on because that's what I'm used to doing, and I wanted to prevent any injury that too much walking would have inflicted. The only hard part was when the cart was full, it was hard to get it going when I was stopped, I was afraid to stress my feet that way. They were very tired when I got to the check-out, but not in pain. I sat anyway while they rang up my purchases.

I have had many steps totally pain-free. Sometimes I realize I'm not thinking about my feet at all! I told my husband last night that the weeks and weeks of pain were definately worth it. I might have a hard time acting 'normal' again, I'm so used to being a cripple! I may even have to turn in my handicap placard soon if this keeps up.

I think now if anyone wants to continue, we should move over to the social side, I did start this post out to help others considering or recovering from ESWT and I'm glad I did, but let's don't 'clog' the archives with grocery store talk. I can't wait to hear when you are better, too, Rose.

DeniseA on 4/21/01 at hrmin (045275)

Wow, you guys are making me very pleased. I have recently joined Dr. Zuckerman's crew and have enjoyed working with him very much. I have been able to meet and discuss things with many of his patients but it is nice to see you all here sharing your success stories and concerns with each other.

One thing I have found is how alone people feel who suffer with this condition. What a great resource for you to learn and know you have support from people who have 'been there.'

I am the ESWT Patient Coordinator for Dr. Zuckerman so if anyone needs information or has questions I will be the one who sends it out for you. Feel free to e-mail directly to me if you would like information on logistics like travel, directions, or just some free-no strings attached information. Of course, Dr. Zuckerman is always here so you already have him as a resource, but let me know if I can help too.

I'll be joining in from time to time. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Denise

Re: EVERYONE should read Jill's post............And STOP the attacks..............

JudyS on 4/23/01 at 12:12 (045447)

Amen to your thoughts, Steve. I am absolutely certain that half of my progress is due to the information and support I've received on this site for this past year.

Carol on 4/23/01 at 13:28 (045457)

Cindy, I'm so glad to hear you are doing better. It gives hope for all of us. I myself am not doing well after 2 mos. post ESWT. I know I'm probably on my feet too much, but today both my legs hurt as well as the feet. I'm soooooooo sick of this. I look out my office window at the jogging path and start to cry --I walked on that path all last summer. A question, did your doctor tell you why it takes to long for the ESWT to work -- that part I just don't understand, and I'd appreciate hearing from others as well. Many thanks!

Steve P on 4/19/01 at 10:06 (045076)

Cynthia --- How absolutely terrific! Congratulations & thanks for telling us!

This is an inspiration.

Steve

JudyS on 4/19/01 at 11:55 (045097)

Isn't it amazing, Cynthia, how we can actually get gleeful about a trip to the grocery? And only those here could understand your glee! Congratulations on that trip - now don't overdo!

Beverly on 4/19/01 at 11:59 (045099)

Cynthia,

How wonderful! Keep us posted on future developments. Did you do this pain-free or with reduced pain?
Thanks,
Beverly

Jill P on 4/19/01 at hrmin (045157)

Cynthia, Congratulations!!! I can totally relate because I just made my first big outing today too to Target!! I am 8 weeks post ESWT tomorrow. I am so happy to be out and about without the crutches now this week to get into our family center for preschool and yesterday I even went to get Brittany new shoes and some summer clothes for Brandon at the mall. (I knew the shoe store was really near the enterance of Sears, and I only looked at shirts for Brandon because it was on the way out.) I feel like I am finally turning a corner and hope that I will continue to heal beyond the level of pain I had before. I would say it is about what I had before at this point, but I am being careful once I get to that point during the day to take it really easy. I'm also taking Motrin especially when I am going out like today or yesterday. I am hopeful that I will continue to be able to go longer and longer periods before I get to that level. It would be great if I healed up so well I didn't have pain, but I'm just trying to be patient to see what will happen.

I can't say for sure if I will be better with just one treatment, but I will say that I really glad I went to Dr.Z. He is one of the most caring concerned doctors I have met for this or any other condition and I have been to several over the last 5 years for another chronic pain condition involving my left side. Not only was he great at answering questions and explaining how the procedure worked, but he was concerned for me about the cost of airfare if I do need to come out for a second treatment. Personally I did lots of reading and researching over the course of a year before I entered the lotto and did so because it sounded one heck of a lot better than being drugged for the other machine. This in my opinion is not a procedure that needs to be done in a surgery center which I believe only jacks up the price. That is not a good thing for patients whether we are paying out of pocket or our insurance covers the bill. Health care is already getting too expensive.

I was sad to see all the arguing that went on here as I have been away for a while busy with the kids and all. I recommend this site to SO many people I meet with PF and have found it to be so helpful in my own recovery. Let's try to make it a place where newcomers will feel comfortable and want to stay. I certainly wouldn't want to come back again if I had just visited this board for the first time over the last few days.

Cynthia, again I am so happy and excited for you to be getting back into the action again! :) Jill P

Steve P on 4/20/01 at 09:42 (045180)

Great post, Jill! We are all so happy for you. Those of us who have been to Dr. Z & others for ESWT can especially relate & share in your joy. There IS life after PF!!!

Wow, talk about perspective.....

Let's all take a deep breath & remember the early days of our PF when we all felt a sense of desperation & lonliness. Remember how isolating the pain was, how it suddenly changed our lives, how other people --- even doctors & therapists --- couldn't fully appreciate what we were going through. Remember how important this website became to each of us, both in terms of receiving & trading vital information & in finding support from fellow sufferers. Without each other & this website, most of us would not know anything about ESWT & other important treatments & would not be as well off as we are today......and well on the road to recovery.

Consider Jill's last paragraph. Think back to those early days. Do you want newcomers to this board to be turned off, or to feel as welcome as you yourself felt the first time you came upon this board?

This is serious business directly affecting people's lives & wellbeing.

You attackers know who you are. Stop it.

Rose L on 4/20/01 at 16:50 (045219)

Cynthia - I'm thrilled for you! You braved the baseball game last weekend, church in cute shoes, then the grocery store! Wow! I'm almost 4 weeks post ESWT, as Steve is, so getting encouraging posts like yours is very much appreciated. I too am worse post ESWT and I had the low energy Sonocur! However, Heidi cranked the voltage up, and treated several different spots on my feet. I don't mind having more pain post ESWT, even severe pain, as long as I know that healing is taking place and that the pain will eventually be gone so that I can resume an active life. When you said you were hanging on the grocery cart is that because your feet hurt that bad and you were leaning to try to alleviate body weight and reduce the pain (this is what I do)...or were you just trying to not put your feet through too much exertion because they're so much better (getting close to normal?)and you do not want to disturb the healing process?
Regardless, you quite obviously have experienced a tremendous improvement and I'm so happy for you!
Rose

Cynthia D on 4/21/01 at 08:55 (045262)

Hi Rose, thanks to ESWT, yes I've pretty much gotten back into life, and it's great on the other side!! I am not walking unless it's necessary, or extremely desired, like the grocery store, and I do have twinges of pain to remind me what my feet are going thru. I have not yet exercised, just seated yoga and stretching. Next week, my instructor said we could try some standing poses! We'll see how that goes, (in sneakers/orthotics, of course).

About the cart, I hung on because that's what I'm used to doing, and I wanted to prevent any injury that too much walking would have inflicted. The only hard part was when the cart was full, it was hard to get it going when I was stopped, I was afraid to stress my feet that way. They were very tired when I got to the check-out, but not in pain. I sat anyway while they rang up my purchases.

I have had many steps totally pain-free. Sometimes I realize I'm not thinking about my feet at all! I told my husband last night that the weeks and weeks of pain were definately worth it. I might have a hard time acting 'normal' again, I'm so used to being a cripple! I may even have to turn in my handicap placard soon if this keeps up.

I think now if anyone wants to continue, we should move over to the social side, I did start this post out to help others considering or recovering from ESWT and I'm glad I did, but let's don't 'clog' the archives with grocery store talk. I can't wait to hear when you are better, too, Rose.

DeniseA on 4/21/01 at hrmin (045275)

Wow, you guys are making me very pleased. I have recently joined Dr. Zuckerman's crew and have enjoyed working with him very much. I have been able to meet and discuss things with many of his patients but it is nice to see you all here sharing your success stories and concerns with each other.

One thing I have found is how alone people feel who suffer with this condition. What a great resource for you to learn and know you have support from people who have 'been there.'

I am the ESWT Patient Coordinator for Dr. Zuckerman so if anyone needs information or has questions I will be the one who sends it out for you. Feel free to e-mail directly to me if you would like information on logistics like travel, directions, or just some free-no strings attached information. Of course, Dr. Zuckerman is always here so you already have him as a resource, but let me know if I can help too.

I'll be joining in from time to time. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Denise

JudyS on 4/23/01 at 12:12 (045447)

Amen to your thoughts, Steve. I am absolutely certain that half of my progress is due to the information and support I've received on this site for this past year.

Carol on 4/23/01 at 13:28 (045457)

Cindy, I'm so glad to hear you are doing better. It gives hope for all of us. I myself am not doing well after 2 mos. post ESWT. I know I'm probably on my feet too much, but today both my legs hurt as well as the feet. I'm soooooooo sick of this. I look out my office window at the jogging path and start to cry --I walked on that path all last summer. A question, did your doctor tell you why it takes to long for the ESWT to work -- that part I just don't understand, and I'd appreciate hearing from others as well. Many thanks!