Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

5 weeks post op

Posted by GinaC on 4/19/01 at 10:27 (045081)

Hi all! Here's a progress report on my open pf release, spur removal, and tarsal tunnel release. I'm now putting weight on my entire surgical foot while using one crutch and am pretty sure that by next week I'll be ready to try 'no hands/no crutches!' for at least part of the time, while gradually increasing duration. My foot is feeling looser and less painful and some numbness that I had in a couple of toes is just about gone. I'm almost back to most of my pre-surgury activities using the one crutch, but still use a motorized wheelchair for grocery shopping, having been told to 'go slow' till my next appointment (which would be 8 weeks post-op). I would say that this has been my best week yet, after one or two weeks of little progress. So, I'm still hopeful that this will work out for the best. Good luck to those who are beginning recovery: don't be afraid to take it easy!

Re: 5 weeks post op

Susan U on 4/19/01 at 10:42 (045084)

Glad to hear everything is going well. I am 1 week post-op yesterday. I have been using a walker, but I started using a quadcane yesterday. I have been full weight bearing since the day of surgery--as much as I could take, at least. I had open pf release and knee orthoscopic surgery for torn cartledge and arthritis scraping. I couldn't be happier with my progress. Things are going much faster than I expected. The incision still stings alittle, but not bad. I get my stitches removed next Wed. I can't tell if the original pain is gone or not yet, but I am hopeful. Keep in touch.

Helene M on 4/19/01 at 12:35 (045103)

That sounds great, Gina. I've been following your progress. Pls continue to keep us posted.

MARY S. on 4/20/01 at 17:21 (045224)

SUSAN--CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR PROGRESS. WAS YOUR RELEASE INCISION ON THE BACK OF YOUR CALF? THAT IS WHERE THE DR. PLANS TO MAKE MINE. YOU GIVE ME HOPE THAT THIS ORDEAL MIGHT NOT BE AS BAD AS I HAVE DREADED. GOOD LUCK WITH HEALING AND HOPE ORIGINAL PAIN WILL BE GONE!

Susan U on 4/21/01 at 17:24 (045301)

No. Mine was on the inside of my heel. I never heard of anyone having it in the calf. Good Luck

Susan U on 4/19/01 at 10:42 (045084)

Glad to hear everything is going well. I am 1 week post-op yesterday. I have been using a walker, but I started using a quadcane yesterday. I have been full weight bearing since the day of surgery--as much as I could take, at least. I had open pf release and knee orthoscopic surgery for torn cartledge and arthritis scraping. I couldn't be happier with my progress. Things are going much faster than I expected. The incision still stings alittle, but not bad. I get my stitches removed next Wed. I can't tell if the original pain is gone or not yet, but I am hopeful. Keep in touch.

Helene M on 4/19/01 at 12:35 (045103)

That sounds great, Gina. I've been following your progress. Pls continue to keep us posted.

MARY S. on 4/20/01 at 17:21 (045224)

SUSAN--CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR PROGRESS. WAS YOUR RELEASE INCISION ON THE BACK OF YOUR CALF? THAT IS WHERE THE DR. PLANS TO MAKE MINE. YOU GIVE ME HOPE THAT THIS ORDEAL MIGHT NOT BE AS BAD AS I HAVE DREADED. GOOD LUCK WITH HEALING AND HOPE ORIGINAL PAIN WILL BE GONE!

Susan U on 4/21/01 at 17:24 (045301)

No. Mine was on the inside of my heel. I never heard of anyone having it in the calf. Good Luck