Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

re-injuring plantar fascia

Posted by Teddy W. on 4/19/01 at hrmin (045083)

Help! I have pain again in left foot after one year of pain-free. Started exercise program six months ago that consists of walking, biking and weight training. Shoes and inserts have been fine til now. Could it be that shoes or inserts have broken down? Just how long do they last? Do the custom inserts make the shoes last longer? Or does the exercise cause faster deterioration? I would appreciate any answers to any of my questions. By the way, this plantar thing seems to run in my family. I am a female and my brother has had the same problems(he went for surgery). I have had this problem (with feet) off and on since 1985. Thank you for your response.

Re: re-injuring plantar fascia

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/20/01 at 09:27 (045179)

Hi,

The shoes that you wear can and will wear out within three months. New Balance sneaker are one of the favorite. The top cover of the orthosis which in some cases is lined with a shock absorpting material may need replacing. Just think the human foot carried your entire weight each and every step. A person that weights 125 lbs will take about 5000 steps each and every day. That comes out to over 125,000 pounds of weight on the plantar fascia each and every day. This includes your shoes and inserts.

Teddy W. on 4/20/01 at 21:03 (045236)

Dr. Zuckerman,
I thought about ordering a pair of the PowerStep Inserts. My question is this: Because of wide toe box, I've found that men's shoes fell better to my feet. Do I order insert according to my real foot size (ladies 10) or to the size shoe (mens 9) I prefer to wear? I used to wear NBs, but either they changed the last or my feet changed. I find them uncomfortable.
Thanks for your response.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/20/01 at 09:27 (045179)

Hi,

The shoes that you wear can and will wear out within three months. New Balance sneaker are one of the favorite. The top cover of the orthosis which in some cases is lined with a shock absorpting material may need replacing. Just think the human foot carried your entire weight each and every step. A person that weights 125 lbs will take about 5000 steps each and every day. That comes out to over 125,000 pounds of weight on the plantar fascia each and every day. This includes your shoes and inserts.

Teddy W. on 4/20/01 at 21:03 (045236)

Dr. Zuckerman,
I thought about ordering a pair of the PowerStep Inserts. My question is this: Because of wide toe box, I've found that men's shoes fell better to my feet. Do I order insert according to my real foot size (ladies 10) or to the size shoe (mens 9) I prefer to wear? I used to wear NBs, but either they changed the last or my feet changed. I find them uncomfortable.
Thanks for your response.