Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

scheduled for surgery in one month

Posted by pennyj on 4/19/01 at 12:05 (045101)

I am a school teacher and I have been suffering with tts since January of this year. We tried a brace, heel supports, pt and anti-inflammatories. Nothing has helped. I have a l ot of burning pain and swelling, some numbness. I will be off work for the entire summer so the doc is planning on doing the surgery as soon as my school year is over. Can someone tell me what can be expected in the post-op period? Does everyone go into a cast? Is the post-op pain significant. Thanks for any input.

Re: scheduled for surgery in one month

wendyn on 4/19/01 at 13:31 (045106)

penny - tts can have a long recovery period. I'm surprised your doctor is even considering surgery afer only 4 months. What kinds of tests have you had done - and what do they think is the cause of your problems? You mention heel lifts - what about custom orthotics?

Often the surgical route is only pursued after minimum 6 months to 1 year of unsucessful conservative treatments. Usually a nerve conduction test and an MRI is done to help determine what's going on first.

Also - you should have had a full exam including blood work for diabetes, thyroid, b12 and rhematoid arthritis by now.

chris on 4/19/01 at 13:48 (045107)

I had surgery about 6 months ago. Following surgery, I was in a half cast for 2 weeks...1 week no weight bearing and no walking except to use the bathroom and brush my teeth once a day! The second week I was still no weight bearing, but I was allowed to hobble around on crutches. Third week the stitches came out and I was placed in a boot cast for 2 weeks. I had surgery on nov 9th and returned to work Dec 4th...still in the boot cast for 3 more days...switched to sneakers for about a month then regular shoes. I didn't have physical therapy until feb following surgery, i found that the PT helped greatly and i noticed the most improvement then.

I think everyone's post-op recovery is different with different time frames. My pain really wasn't that bad, but i seem to tolerate pain very well. I was given percocet(sp) for pain and used it more to sleep than for pain management. As I write this, i really can not recall the pain being that bad, what i remember most is how strange it felt to walk or I should say try to walk when the boot cast was first put on.

wendyn on 4/19/01 at 13:31 (045106)

penny - tts can have a long recovery period. I'm surprised your doctor is even considering surgery afer only 4 months. What kinds of tests have you had done - and what do they think is the cause of your problems? You mention heel lifts - what about custom orthotics?

Often the surgical route is only pursued after minimum 6 months to 1 year of unsucessful conservative treatments. Usually a nerve conduction test and an MRI is done to help determine what's going on first.

Also - you should have had a full exam including blood work for diabetes, thyroid, b12 and rhematoid arthritis by now.

chris on 4/19/01 at 13:48 (045107)

I had surgery about 6 months ago. Following surgery, I was in a half cast for 2 weeks...1 week no weight bearing and no walking except to use the bathroom and brush my teeth once a day! The second week I was still no weight bearing, but I was allowed to hobble around on crutches. Third week the stitches came out and I was placed in a boot cast for 2 weeks. I had surgery on nov 9th and returned to work Dec 4th...still in the boot cast for 3 more days...switched to sneakers for about a month then regular shoes. I didn't have physical therapy until feb following surgery, i found that the PT helped greatly and i noticed the most improvement then.

I think everyone's post-op recovery is different with different time frames. My pain really wasn't that bad, but i seem to tolerate pain very well. I was given percocet(sp) for pain and used it more to sleep than for pain management. As I write this, i really can not recall the pain being that bad, what i remember most is how strange it felt to walk or I should say try to walk when the boot cast was first put on.