Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Chronic PF - What to do?

Posted by Mahoney on 4/19/01 at 15:25 (045111)

I am 35 years old and I have had PF since my 20s. I did high impact aerobics and was a runner. It has never gone away. Some days are better than others. I have had many orthotics since then. At that time, I was diagnosed with a heel spur in both feet but it is my left foot that is bad. I only swim and bike now. I miss the running. The last five years have been awful with the left foot. I have pain in my ankles, heel, and top of foot. I have tried and read most of everything (night splint, stretching, half and whole foot orthotics, vitamins, antidepressant, many shoes).

The podiatrist a few years ago wanted to give me cortisone shots and surgery. I didn't want to do this as I have heard awful stories and there was no guarentee they would work. I went to a rhuematologist instead to get a second opinion. He stated I had the wrong orthotics and that I have OA in the left foot. I ended up with new orthotics and shoes to fit them. He stated do not do shots or surgery unless this is your last option.

I still had problems, but didn't go back. I was put on a antidepressant from my physician that did help with the pain but I had gained 40 lbs in 10 months. I went back to this Rheumatologist. He ordered bone scans and xrays. I have no bone damage or fractures. I do have bone degeneration. He wants to give me a cortisone shot and put me through physical therapy. I guess that is my next option. I don't want to do this shot but there aren't many options left. Any suggestions????

Re: Chronic PF - What to do?

Steve P on 4/19/01 at 16:33 (045114)

Hi & welcome to the board.

Have you considered ESWT? If you'd like some info you can start by clicking on 'ESWT' above this message board. There's plenty of good information on this & other websites. The ESWT treatment is available in about 35 states (last time I checked) & has a typical success rate of 60% to 80% for PF treatment, with some podiatrists claiming even more.

You may be a good candidate. I hope so!

Best.........Steve

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/19/01 at 17:06 (045117)

Cortisone shots really so work, although long term PF is harder to get reid of. The thing with the shots is that you need more than one to really keep the inflammation and pain down. I give a series of 2 or 3 either 1 or 2 weeks apart, followed by ultrasound, along with stretching exercises and a firm heel cup. 90-95% of my patients are sucessful with this treatment. I now offer ESW to those that are not. I do not think I will be doing much heel surgery for PF any more. Often if the pain does not improve, the patient needs to be reevaluated to make sure there is not a misdiagnosis.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/19/01 at 19:28 (045131)

Hi,

A good step to take now is taping the feet . I really like and feel that taping with or without local steriod injections help alot. I have seen local steriod injections without taping no work and as soon as you tape and inject the improvement is dramatic. So stop the taping as soon as possible.

john h on 4/20/01 at 10:15 (045182)

mahoney: have you tried wearing birkenstock sandals for an extended period of time? they have helped many people. takes a while to get used to them but many on this board swear by them. try the Airizona.

Mahoney on 4/20/01 at 14:28 (045203)

I went to the Rheum. and did the shot. I felt very liitle pain when he did this. It wasn't horrific at all. I'm sitting here with my foot elevated and with ice. I don't feel any pain. He gave me some pain killers if I need them. He wants me to wear a boot during the day that I am picking up today and I'm going to a physical therapist on Mon. I found out where I have bone degeneration. He stated it is in the ball of the foot, in the big toe joint area. My ankles are fine. I'll let you know how things go. Thanks for your messages!

Pauline on 4/20/01 at 22:37 (045243)

If you plan on trying Birks I suggest you look at Clarks too. I found the Birks too hard with the pain and the arch too high. The clarks works out just right. I use a New Balance as well. I wish you well in finding the things that will help you.

Pauline on 4/20/01 at 22:39 (045244)

If your going to try new shoes I suggest you try both Birks and Clarks.
One just might work for you along with a good running shoe

Steve P on 4/19/01 at 16:33 (045114)

Hi & welcome to the board.

Have you considered ESWT? If you'd like some info you can start by clicking on 'ESWT' above this message board. There's plenty of good information on this & other websites. The ESWT treatment is available in about 35 states (last time I checked) & has a typical success rate of 60% to 80% for PF treatment, with some podiatrists claiming even more.

You may be a good candidate. I hope so!

Best.........Steve

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/19/01 at 17:06 (045117)

Cortisone shots really so work, although long term PF is harder to get reid of. The thing with the shots is that you need more than one to really keep the inflammation and pain down. I give a series of 2 or 3 either 1 or 2 weeks apart, followed by ultrasound, along with stretching exercises and a firm heel cup. 90-95% of my patients are sucessful with this treatment. I now offer ESW to those that are not. I do not think I will be doing much heel surgery for PF any more. Often if the pain does not improve, the patient needs to be reevaluated to make sure there is not a misdiagnosis.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/19/01 at 19:28 (045131)

Hi,

A good step to take now is taping the feet . I really like and feel that taping with or without local steriod injections help alot. I have seen local steriod injections without taping no work and as soon as you tape and inject the improvement is dramatic. So stop the taping as soon as possible.

john h on 4/20/01 at 10:15 (045182)

mahoney: have you tried wearing birkenstock sandals for an extended period of time? they have helped many people. takes a while to get used to them but many on this board swear by them. try the Airizona.

Mahoney on 4/20/01 at 14:28 (045203)

I went to the Rheum. and did the shot. I felt very liitle pain when he did this. It wasn't horrific at all. I'm sitting here with my foot elevated and with ice. I don't feel any pain. He gave me some pain killers if I need them. He wants me to wear a boot during the day that I am picking up today and I'm going to a physical therapist on Mon. I found out where I have bone degeneration. He stated it is in the ball of the foot, in the big toe joint area. My ankles are fine. I'll let you know how things go. Thanks for your messages!

Pauline on 4/20/01 at 22:37 (045243)

If you plan on trying Birks I suggest you look at Clarks too. I found the Birks too hard with the pain and the arch too high. The clarks works out just right. I use a New Balance as well. I wish you well in finding the things that will help you.

Pauline on 4/20/01 at 22:39 (045244)

If your going to try new shoes I suggest you try both Birks and Clarks.
One just might work for you along with a good running shoe