Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I feel miffed!

Posted by Tammie on 4/20/01 at hrmin (045234)

Today I went to see my pod for post op 3 day, I am a bit miffed with him,I need to vent to! He was a hour late for our appoint. which he has done this 3 other times to and always fri. appoint. Which ok I was ok with it, but he breezed in ( I had removed bandage as it was stuck to incision and nurse said I could ) she did not want to hurt me she was concerned as there was fresh blood and she was trying to see where it was coming from,my temp was low grade 99 but I had been having chills which I mentioned to her when she was doing my vitals and such,but ok maybe that is normal I have no clue I am the patient here . Well anyways he breees in looks over says yeah ok how does it feel before I get a answer he says u are bearing about 30% weight right, I am like well I try, he said ok ok just listen to your body hurts rest it swells rest it then try the next day.And put weight on your toes dont walk on them. He said did u bring me the vicaden back I said yes i am not a drugie, he said well we have to do that now as so many drug busts, said ok I understand no problem and he says i left instrutions at desk for u see u in aweek keep cast on whenever u walk . I am angry he did not have time to even look at the new xrays that the nurse had taken while we were waiting for him nor did he address any of my questions nor could I tell him I layed awake from 1am till 4 wondering what was wrong as I had chills my bones really hurt and my foot was very sore the meds didnt touch it. But never mind that I can deal with pain after all I have been for how long. I go up to the desk and give the office manager my work form and she says it will be $12. for me to fill out as it takes me away from our work to do it,duh am I cray or what is that not there job? I said that is a shame as allot of people depend on the insurance to live and I wanted to add pay you but I bit my cheek and finished giving her 12. 00 and took my paper of directions and slip to return next fri at 2;30 most likely to wait again for a hour and again a quick how are u stroke my hand and say u are doing wonderful right. Oh oh I think I am worried oh yes my hubby said to nurse does he know how long she will need to be off work as he never said she called him back and he ducked in and said oh maybe 4 weeks or 6 what do u do, gosh I have told him several times but heh I said again as he may have many patients I am a nurses aide and am on my feet he says oh ok well we will see allot are ready in 4 weeks but we will see and out he was again . I am fed upp with the medical field and now I know why I never go to the Dr. for that reason I am not going to feel like a hypo or stupid I can do what he needs me to do I am not stupid or a nutcase, I feel a bit worried he has a wonderful staff except his wife who also is a Dr. and very sharp tounged and his office manager who is a money hungry woman, lol and I pay my bill in advance dummy me. When I am done wiith this I want to write him and his office a lovely little note telling him what i think. I am a quiet person when I go in I try hard to find my own answers to problems and treat myself as I dont like to be a bother but this stinks. What do u think?Is it me ? Sorry I need to vent as I feel angry still.I just hope he knows what he is doing cause I have suffered enough and I want this to be the end of this problem. Thanks and sorry I am long winded on putor to bad I could not feel this easy there to his face lol.

Re: Overworked ?

BrianG on 4/20/01 at 20:56 (045235)

Hi Tammie,

It sounds like your doc is overworked, due to scheduling too many patients per hour. So, he made you return the Vicodan, did he. There are many other drugs you could probably try, but you'll probably never get a chance with this man. Is is paranoid about prescribing?

The only thing I can think of, is to write down a complete list of your questions. Leave room for answers, and bring a pen to jot the answers down. Don't let him rush you out of there before all your questions are answered. This method as worked well for me.

I think your now realizing that we all heal at different rates, and your probably going to be like myself, a slow healer. I can't remember if you mentioned it, but did he give you anti-biotics? I know health professionals are trying to limit rounds of anti-biotics, but this is one of those times when I really think it would be helpful. I'd talk to him about it. If he denies you, and you end up wth an infection, you may have some recourse.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be pissed myself. Call your doc on Monday and ask to be seen asap. Get your list ready, and get your questions answered at the nest visit. Also tell him you want a report on the new x-rays. If you want to try one more pain med, and he's agreeable, you could switch to morphine. You may not be allergic to it. Ask for MS IR, which is nothing more than instant release morphine. It contains no asprin, tylenol, or ibuprofen. It should relieve the pain for 3-4 hours, allowing you to get some sleep.

Good luck
BCG

Re: I feel miffed!

Pam R. on 4/20/01 at 21:45 (045238)

Tammie, you have a right to be upset. You hired HIM!! And it sounds like you may have infection. Be there Monday with the list and a back-up, Your husband, your friend..someone on your side. Make him listen. Sit in a chair in front of the closed door and make him listen to you(I know you can't do that) but it sounds as though you need to. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. My heart goes out to you. It will be a month tomorrow that I have had my surgery done. I'm walking everywhere (got Reabok DMX(spelling?) I still ice both feet at night. I know you'll be fine --just remember to ice and elevate and if you are thinking about morphine-give it a second thought. I'm sorry--but it is addicting and even if you only take it for a month--you will have withdrawal symptoms. And they aren't any fun. Every pain med is adicting --even asprin if you think about it. But what I can't understand is why he didn't give you a script for it. What's he afraid of --sounds a little paranoid about the heavy drugs. Some doctors are like that...they are so afraid of being sued. My doctor gave me a script for Meprozine caps. They worked great! By the third day I didn't need them. Just rest Tammie as much as you can --keep your foot elevated and keep that icing going . Go see him Monday and give him ^%$%* -Okay. Remember he is working for you! LOL ((Soft Hugs)) Pam

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/21/01 at 00:07 (045255)

Tammie, most of what you wrote disturbed me, because I hear the asame senerio from a lot of patients that were unhappy with their previous docs. But what really struck me as off is that you brought back the Vicodin. WHY??? Did he give you samples (they should not be brought back if opened)? Was it your own Rx that you filled and paid for (they should not be brought to the office for ANYONE's use)? I am concerned why this doctor wanted the unused pain pills btought back. Did you give them to him or his office staff? The office would be required to maintain records of any medications it discards. I am very troubled about this.

Re: I feel miffed!/Dr.Reid

Tammie on 4/21/01 at hrmin (045260)

Thank u for responding,as yes I am upset I had the surgery on tues, I had a reaction to the vancomycin in the hospital,at first they thought just giving to fast but later decided it was a reaction,so they stopped it. Then the next day Wed. I had my face all hot and red it swelled and my tummy and arms had hives and was itching awful, I was on the Vicodin only I bought at the pharmacy with his script, I was scared as I knew this is not right so called pharamacy who said call Dr. now,I did his staff felt it was reaction to the vicadin,so they got a hold of him and he said to take benydril and he would call in some darvacet if I need but I would have to bring vicaden with me fri I said ok as I will not need it and no I am not a junkie. So Fri when I got there his nurse asked if I brought it and I said yes here she put right on counter next to my chart. He took it and said that with all the drug busts and stuff they have to do this now to be sure they are covered. My hubby was mad he thought they should have flushed it in our presance or had us sign a paper returning it. He prescribed 10 darvecets on wed.I still have 4 left which I took to show him not they he cared or took time to listenI do not like meds I have trouble remembering my synthroid I like to do things on my own. BUT when I hurt I would like to be able to take something to relieve it without being looked at like I am crazy.I dont know Dr. I dont have allot of expierance with dr.s for myself as I really only go once a year for gyn and that is it I have been to 3 different dr.s for this pf stuff and spur and really I am sorry I ever went as You are treated like u dont know what pain is and that if u dont see it u cant feel it by people. I am a pretty stubborn woman when it comes to My body I push myself till I can push nomore, I am worried as like I said he seems to only want to hear that yes I am 30% fri, and by next fri almost ready to take air cast off and crutches away,which I am not against at all but how do I tell him that I am trying but it DOES still hurt and my toes feel broken to lol.I am a nurses aide and would like to return to work pain free so I can do my much loved job as I really do love my job but I do not want to rush and do more damage when I have went so far as to the surgery which he has assured me is best for me and I will be ready in 4 weeks or maybe 6.I am sorry long winded but it makes me frustrated as my brotherin law is a Head dr. MD I cant spell sorry Phys. ? And I have shared some with my sister and he is appalled,he says not all dr.s are this way but I wonder if it isnt the majority? Now he is done with surgery and well he is done as soon as he collects my insurance money which by the way pays 90%. I most likely will not go see him till Fri and will struggle with this myself as usual but I am sure hoping he new what he was doing!!!!!!! Thanks for the concern for the dr. and his meds maybe he is the junkie?

Re: Overworked ?/ Arent we all

Tammie on 4/21/01 at 08:56 (045263)

Well Brian and pam u both have some points, I wrote Dr. Reid a lenghthly message I am afraid about the whole thing. I am a strong woman as I have stated before EXCEPT when I am with someone in authority lol get that. Then I am like a quiet shadow if u know what I mean. Dr.s frighten me I have always feared Dr. and as a kid had many expierances with them and a early adult. As I grew older I decided I would take care of my own body and illnesses. Which I have pretty much .I do not want to be snowed with drugs, as I like to function, but when I have PAIN I would like the option of relieving it , with something that works . I am familiar with pain meds to a sort as my hubby takes some from his RA and I know that I could take his if I wanted to but I am contientious about that and worry that maybe the dr. is right and that I should not use them as I will get better faster without? I mean he has the degrees I have nothing. I am doing ok pretty much I do have some foot pain like my toes are all broken and some spasams in my foot , I tryed to ask the nurse if the burning and knivy like pains were normal she said some might be from swelling but told me to tell dr. lol sure better tape him down for me then. Night time seems to be pretty bad which I am curious to why at rest it should be better? When I elevate high it drives me crazy I cannot do it long. it is like a shock feeling? I figure it is healing heck I dont know. I am sorry I am complaining but I really am looking for answers and cant seem to get them from the dr. He is overworked I am sure he shares a office with his wife they really have 3 offices in the area, seems like the nurses like his wife better tho as they always say to me as he has been late for appointments 3 times already and always about a hour or more, they say he always does this to them. I tryed seeing his wife, once I was not impressed, she has a similar manner but also more I dont want to hear it hurts Put it down and walk NOW and then she jammed foot to the floor and when I yanked it up she preceded to holler at me that was enough of her Thank u., I do know when it hurts and maybe I am a pain baby I dont know when u have for so long I think u tend to guard it I have never thought i was a pain baby lol my hubby has always bragged that I can take allot but gee I am getting older lol. U know this is a great place to vent cry whine and find information and find some good friends along the way! Well maybe I am to hard on the dr. I do want instant relief and in some ways I have had some as my foot does not feel so tight or stretched anymorebut seems like different areas ,maybe healing process? U all know he told me from day 1 he will have me in jogging shoes which I to have the reebockdmx in 10 days and he proably will even if he has t squeeze it lol. Oh yeah I had a reaction to the antibiotics on the day of surgery they had to stop them. He was giving me vancomycin Iv. Thanks and hope u are feeling better !!

P. Ann on 4/21/01 at 09:38 (045265)

Tammie, it is too bad that you have all of that pain and what I would consider a bad Dr. I love my Doc, I barely sit down and I'm called right in, she is there in 2min. and always has time to listen, even instructed me to call her whenever I had a problem. After surgery she called my house to see if I was okay, that night and the next day. My point is that there ARE good docs, out there. You may want to consider finding a different doc to finish your foot care. Don't be afraid of your doc, he is not your authority, you are! He is working for you, you are paying him to provide you with good care, and it doesn't sound like he is giving you very good care if he won't even listen to you. I agree with the other posts that you may have an infection. You really should look into that more. Also, if you were given a prescription for a medicine, that is YOUR prescription, whether you use it or not. Under no circumstances should you ever have to return that to the Dr.! I can't even believe he asked you to! You should make an inquiry to the AMA Board in your area about this practice! I really think that you should, it sounds awfully shaky! I have several prescriptions that I never used due to reactions, I just threw them out, and my Dr. never asked, she simply told me that if I was having a reaction, to ditch them and we would try something different, including Vicodin!! I really feel bad that you are having such difficulty. I hope that you start to feel better soon, I will say a prayer for you. Good Luck!
P.Ann

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/21/01 at 09:48 (045267)

I agreed with Dr. Reid _ real strange way to help a patient that he was under his care and just had foot surgery.

Kay S on 4/21/01 at 18:13 (045311)

I am glad Dr. Reid wrote about this, because I also have been bothered by the 'bring back the unused pills' mandate. I have never heard of this either. They cannot dispense your medication to anyone else when it has your name on the bottle, especially when the pills are not wrapped. If they are samples and they are individually wrapped, then that may be another issue.
I think you may need to do some checking up on this, Tammie, and I think both Dr. Reid and I smell a rat.
Kay

Diana on 4/21/01 at 21:49 (045323)

Maybe this doctor is a druggie himself.

Re: Anti biotics ?

BrianG on 4/22/01 at 12:02 (045354)

Hi Tammie,

How's it going? There are many types of anti biotics available. Just because you had a reaction from one of them, doesn't mean you should not take them. I'd ask for a different type.

As far as the pain meds go, I do believe it is against the law in every state for doctors to give out samples of narcotics, especially Vicodan and Percodan. I would hope he documented what he did with the pills you turned over to him. I would think he could be in A LOT of trouble if someone (you) were to bring this to the authorities. I know I wouldn't want a doctor with a drug habit operating on me. I can't tell you what to do, but if there is some abuse going on, your call might be the one to get him some help. Looking forward to your next update.

BCG

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/22/01 at 12:56 (045359)

What you say is very true. In the state of New Jersey I received sample for vicoprofen alot. We are allow to dispense them to our patients but must keep a record of who , what , and why. This is a DEA drug log. If someone comes into the office and you don't have the drug log updated oh weill bit time trouble.

I like to keep samples around for my pateints to give out in the office after foot surgery so that they can take one before the local anesthesia wears off. This way they have the pills to start with and then can take their time with the filling of the presciptions. I can tell you the times when the pharmacy was so busy that the pateints couldn't get the pain pills for hours. So I am really glad that they provide the samples. Years ago we kept one bottle of mild. moderate pain pills and just gave them out. The key to this was very careful record keeping period. This is a federal law.

Re: Anti biotics /They were not samples I bought them with a script he gave my hubby after surgery

Tammie on 4/22/01 at hrmin (045366)

Hello, I did not get any samples He gave my hubby a script after surgery for me for the vicaden. Those are the ones he wanted me to return to him as I called him with a possible reaction to them. In turn he said he would call me in a script for darvocet-n100 tablets 10 of them no refill. I returned to him about 16 or 17 vicaden pills that We had bought from the pharmacey. I do not know what laws there are I did Post before I returned them in one of the sites here as I thought it strange he would want me to return them to him. My brother in law who is also a dr. m.d. phsys. said he found this to be very unusual but would not say much else except he would never do that again I should say no I will bring them and flush them with u in presence if u would like but I will not hand them to u.

Re: Anti biotics /They were not samples I bought them with a script he gave my hubby after surgery

Donna M. on 4/25/01 at 15:58 (045702)

Tammie,
I think I would be calling his office and telling them I wanted my pills I paid for back! This is unheard of, him wanting them back, unless he is taking them himself!! I have worked for Doctors' and at a pharmacy and NONE of them ever would take back any kind of drug, under any circumstances!! I would have to find out why he wanted them and wouldn't stop until I did, and got the pills back!!
Good luck and sorry you are having such a time! A good doctor is hard to come by, it seems like nowadays!!
I have been thinking about having surgery, but finding the right Dr. is the hard part. The more I hear, the less surgery is an option!
Hang in there.

Re: Overworked ?

BrianG on 4/20/01 at 20:56 (045235)

Hi Tammie,

It sounds like your doc is overworked, due to scheduling too many patients per hour. So, he made you return the Vicodan, did he. There are many other drugs you could probably try, but you'll probably never get a chance with this man. Is is paranoid about prescribing?

The only thing I can think of, is to write down a complete list of your questions. Leave room for answers, and bring a pen to jot the answers down. Don't let him rush you out of there before all your questions are answered. This method as worked well for me.

I think your now realizing that we all heal at different rates, and your probably going to be like myself, a slow healer. I can't remember if you mentioned it, but did he give you anti-biotics? I know health professionals are trying to limit rounds of anti-biotics, but this is one of those times when I really think it would be helpful. I'd talk to him about it. If he denies you, and you end up wth an infection, you may have some recourse.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be pissed myself. Call your doc on Monday and ask to be seen asap. Get your list ready, and get your questions answered at the nest visit. Also tell him you want a report on the new x-rays. If you want to try one more pain med, and he's agreeable, you could switch to morphine. You may not be allergic to it. Ask for MS IR, which is nothing more than instant release morphine. It contains no asprin, tylenol, or ibuprofen. It should relieve the pain for 3-4 hours, allowing you to get some sleep.

Good luck
BCG

Pam R. on 4/20/01 at 21:45 (045238)

Tammie, you have a right to be upset. You hired HIM!! And it sounds like you may have infection. Be there Monday with the list and a back-up, Your husband, your friend..someone on your side. Make him listen. Sit in a chair in front of the closed door and make him listen to you(I know you can't do that) but it sounds as though you need to. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. My heart goes out to you. It will be a month tomorrow that I have had my surgery done. I'm walking everywhere (got Reabok DMX(spelling?) I still ice both feet at night. I know you'll be fine --just remember to ice and elevate and if you are thinking about morphine-give it a second thought. I'm sorry--but it is addicting and even if you only take it for a month--you will have withdrawal symptoms. And they aren't any fun. Every pain med is adicting --even asprin if you think about it. But what I can't understand is why he didn't give you a script for it. What's he afraid of --sounds a little paranoid about the heavy drugs. Some doctors are like that...they are so afraid of being sued. My doctor gave me a script for Meprozine caps. They worked great! By the third day I didn't need them. Just rest Tammie as much as you can --keep your foot elevated and keep that icing going . Go see him Monday and give him ^%$%* -Okay. Remember he is working for you! LOL ((Soft Hugs)) Pam

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/21/01 at 00:07 (045255)

Tammie, most of what you wrote disturbed me, because I hear the asame senerio from a lot of patients that were unhappy with their previous docs. But what really struck me as off is that you brought back the Vicodin. WHY??? Did he give you samples (they should not be brought back if opened)? Was it your own Rx that you filled and paid for (they should not be brought to the office for ANYONE's use)? I am concerned why this doctor wanted the unused pain pills btought back. Did you give them to him or his office staff? The office would be required to maintain records of any medications it discards. I am very troubled about this.

Tammie on 4/21/01 at hrmin (045260)

Thank u for responding,as yes I am upset I had the surgery on tues, I had a reaction to the vancomycin in the hospital,at first they thought just giving to fast but later decided it was a reaction,so they stopped it. Then the next day Wed. I had my face all hot and red it swelled and my tummy and arms had hives and was itching awful, I was on the Vicodin only I bought at the pharmacy with his script, I was scared as I knew this is not right so called pharamacy who said call Dr. now,I did his staff felt it was reaction to the vicadin,so they got a hold of him and he said to take benydril and he would call in some darvacet if I need but I would have to bring vicaden with me fri I said ok as I will not need it and no I am not a junkie. So Fri when I got there his nurse asked if I brought it and I said yes here she put right on counter next to my chart. He took it and said that with all the drug busts and stuff they have to do this now to be sure they are covered. My hubby was mad he thought they should have flushed it in our presance or had us sign a paper returning it. He prescribed 10 darvecets on wed.I still have 4 left which I took to show him not they he cared or took time to listenI do not like meds I have trouble remembering my synthroid I like to do things on my own. BUT when I hurt I would like to be able to take something to relieve it without being looked at like I am crazy.I dont know Dr. I dont have allot of expierance with dr.s for myself as I really only go once a year for gyn and that is it I have been to 3 different dr.s for this pf stuff and spur and really I am sorry I ever went as You are treated like u dont know what pain is and that if u dont see it u cant feel it by people. I am a pretty stubborn woman when it comes to My body I push myself till I can push nomore, I am worried as like I said he seems to only want to hear that yes I am 30% fri, and by next fri almost ready to take air cast off and crutches away,which I am not against at all but how do I tell him that I am trying but it DOES still hurt and my toes feel broken to lol.I am a nurses aide and would like to return to work pain free so I can do my much loved job as I really do love my job but I do not want to rush and do more damage when I have went so far as to the surgery which he has assured me is best for me and I will be ready in 4 weeks or maybe 6.I am sorry long winded but it makes me frustrated as my brotherin law is a Head dr. MD I cant spell sorry Phys. ? And I have shared some with my sister and he is appalled,he says not all dr.s are this way but I wonder if it isnt the majority? Now he is done with surgery and well he is done as soon as he collects my insurance money which by the way pays 90%. I most likely will not go see him till Fri and will struggle with this myself as usual but I am sure hoping he new what he was doing!!!!!!! Thanks for the concern for the dr. and his meds maybe he is the junkie?

Re: Overworked ?/ Arent we all

Tammie on 4/21/01 at 08:56 (045263)

Well Brian and pam u both have some points, I wrote Dr. Reid a lenghthly message I am afraid about the whole thing. I am a strong woman as I have stated before EXCEPT when I am with someone in authority lol get that. Then I am like a quiet shadow if u know what I mean. Dr.s frighten me I have always feared Dr. and as a kid had many expierances with them and a early adult. As I grew older I decided I would take care of my own body and illnesses. Which I have pretty much .I do not want to be snowed with drugs, as I like to function, but when I have PAIN I would like the option of relieving it , with something that works . I am familiar with pain meds to a sort as my hubby takes some from his RA and I know that I could take his if I wanted to but I am contientious about that and worry that maybe the dr. is right and that I should not use them as I will get better faster without? I mean he has the degrees I have nothing. I am doing ok pretty much I do have some foot pain like my toes are all broken and some spasams in my foot , I tryed to ask the nurse if the burning and knivy like pains were normal she said some might be from swelling but told me to tell dr. lol sure better tape him down for me then. Night time seems to be pretty bad which I am curious to why at rest it should be better? When I elevate high it drives me crazy I cannot do it long. it is like a shock feeling? I figure it is healing heck I dont know. I am sorry I am complaining but I really am looking for answers and cant seem to get them from the dr. He is overworked I am sure he shares a office with his wife they really have 3 offices in the area, seems like the nurses like his wife better tho as they always say to me as he has been late for appointments 3 times already and always about a hour or more, they say he always does this to them. I tryed seeing his wife, once I was not impressed, she has a similar manner but also more I dont want to hear it hurts Put it down and walk NOW and then she jammed foot to the floor and when I yanked it up she preceded to holler at me that was enough of her Thank u., I do know when it hurts and maybe I am a pain baby I dont know when u have for so long I think u tend to guard it I have never thought i was a pain baby lol my hubby has always bragged that I can take allot but gee I am getting older lol. U know this is a great place to vent cry whine and find information and find some good friends along the way! Well maybe I am to hard on the dr. I do want instant relief and in some ways I have had some as my foot does not feel so tight or stretched anymorebut seems like different areas ,maybe healing process? U all know he told me from day 1 he will have me in jogging shoes which I to have the reebockdmx in 10 days and he proably will even if he has t squeeze it lol. Oh yeah I had a reaction to the antibiotics on the day of surgery they had to stop them. He was giving me vancomycin Iv. Thanks and hope u are feeling better !!

P. Ann on 4/21/01 at 09:38 (045265)

Tammie, it is too bad that you have all of that pain and what I would consider a bad Dr. I love my Doc, I barely sit down and I'm called right in, she is there in 2min. and always has time to listen, even instructed me to call her whenever I had a problem. After surgery she called my house to see if I was okay, that night and the next day. My point is that there ARE good docs, out there. You may want to consider finding a different doc to finish your foot care. Don't be afraid of your doc, he is not your authority, you are! He is working for you, you are paying him to provide you with good care, and it doesn't sound like he is giving you very good care if he won't even listen to you. I agree with the other posts that you may have an infection. You really should look into that more. Also, if you were given a prescription for a medicine, that is YOUR prescription, whether you use it or not. Under no circumstances should you ever have to return that to the Dr.! I can't even believe he asked you to! You should make an inquiry to the AMA Board in your area about this practice! I really think that you should, it sounds awfully shaky! I have several prescriptions that I never used due to reactions, I just threw them out, and my Dr. never asked, she simply told me that if I was having a reaction, to ditch them and we would try something different, including Vicodin!! I really feel bad that you are having such difficulty. I hope that you start to feel better soon, I will say a prayer for you. Good Luck!
P.Ann

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/21/01 at 09:48 (045267)

I agreed with Dr. Reid _ real strange way to help a patient that he was under his care and just had foot surgery.

Kay S on 4/21/01 at 18:13 (045311)

I am glad Dr. Reid wrote about this, because I also have been bothered by the 'bring back the unused pills' mandate. I have never heard of this either. They cannot dispense your medication to anyone else when it has your name on the bottle, especially when the pills are not wrapped. If they are samples and they are individually wrapped, then that may be another issue.
I think you may need to do some checking up on this, Tammie, and I think both Dr. Reid and I smell a rat.
Kay

Diana on 4/21/01 at 21:49 (045323)

Maybe this doctor is a druggie himself.

BrianG on 4/22/01 at 12:02 (045354)

Hi Tammie,

How's it going? There are many types of anti biotics available. Just because you had a reaction from one of them, doesn't mean you should not take them. I'd ask for a different type.

As far as the pain meds go, I do believe it is against the law in every state for doctors to give out samples of narcotics, especially Vicodan and Percodan. I would hope he documented what he did with the pills you turned over to him. I would think he could be in A LOT of trouble if someone (you) were to bring this to the authorities. I know I wouldn't want a doctor with a drug habit operating on me. I can't tell you what to do, but if there is some abuse going on, your call might be the one to get him some help. Looking forward to your next update.

BCG

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/22/01 at 12:56 (045359)

What you say is very true. In the state of New Jersey I received sample for vicoprofen alot. We are allow to dispense them to our patients but must keep a record of who , what , and why. This is a DEA drug log. If someone comes into the office and you don't have the drug log updated oh weill bit time trouble.

I like to keep samples around for my pateints to give out in the office after foot surgery so that they can take one before the local anesthesia wears off. This way they have the pills to start with and then can take their time with the filling of the presciptions. I can tell you the times when the pharmacy was so busy that the pateints couldn't get the pain pills for hours. So I am really glad that they provide the samples. Years ago we kept one bottle of mild. moderate pain pills and just gave them out. The key to this was very careful record keeping period. This is a federal law.

Tammie on 4/22/01 at hrmin (045366)

Hello, I did not get any samples He gave my hubby a script after surgery for me for the vicaden. Those are the ones he wanted me to return to him as I called him with a possible reaction to them. In turn he said he would call me in a script for darvocet-n100 tablets 10 of them no refill. I returned to him about 16 or 17 vicaden pills that We had bought from the pharmacey. I do not know what laws there are I did Post before I returned them in one of the sites here as I thought it strange he would want me to return them to him. My brother in law who is also a dr. m.d. phsys. said he found this to be very unusual but would not say much else except he would never do that again I should say no I will bring them and flush them with u in presence if u would like but I will not hand them to u.

Donna M. on 4/25/01 at 15:58 (045702)

Tammie,
I think I would be calling his office and telling them I wanted my pills I paid for back! This is unheard of, him wanting them back, unless he is taking them himself!! I have worked for Doctors' and at a pharmacy and NONE of them ever would take back any kind of drug, under any circumstances!! I would have to find out why he wanted them and wouldn't stop until I did, and got the pills back!!
Good luck and sorry you are having such a time! A good doctor is hard to come by, it seems like nowadays!!
I have been thinking about having surgery, but finding the right Dr. is the hard part. The more I hear, the less surgery is an option!
Hang in there.