Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPF surgery on tues

Posted by Joe W on 4/21/01 at hrmin (045282)

I have surgery scheduled on tuesday. I went in for an MRI this past Wed, the results showed marked inflammation of the plantar fascia (duh !!), AND edema in the heel bone (potential stress fracture?) Anyway, the radiologist did not call it a stress fx, and the pod could not say if the edema was resolving or starting (since no base line MRI was done 10 months ago).
POD said I could wait 4-6 weeks (no more running) and see if the edema and possibly the PF. If I wait, and the PF does not resolve, have surgery then I would be 'out of action' for another 4-6 weeks. OR take care of the surgery, and bone edema at the same time, and only be 'out' once.
This is the option I'm taking, does it make sense? I'm still nervous about the surgery, but I cannot be out of action twice. ESWT sounds like I would be out for 12 weeks.
POD stated that surgery would be 20 minutes, involving a 1/3 medial PF release. He said I should be back to work in a week(on crutches for 1-2 weeks).
Let me know what you all think.
Thanks, Joe W

Re: EPF surgery on tues

BrianG on 4/21/01 at 12:31 (045287)

Hi Joe W,

I think your doc is giving you the best case scenerio on how long you'll be on crutches, and how long it will be before you can return to work. I don't think you mentiond how long you've had PF, but I'm beginning to believe that you have a better chance of recovery if you treat the PF within a year or so. I waited for 5 years before I had the scope procedure. I am no better today, than I was before the surgry. I also have some additional pain in my arch, which can be expected. I was in BIG pain for at least a month, there is no way I could have worked during that time.

On the other hand, we have Pam (Happy Feet) who healed quickly and nicely. Have you asked your doc to provide you with some references of patients he has cut? I would. Ask them how long they had PF, and how long it took them to recover. It sounds like your coming here pretty late in the game, and your mind is made up. I'm here to tell you that EPF does not work for everyone. Good luck.

BCG

T.Hurst on 4/21/01 at 19:11 (045314)

Beware: recovery time can vary widely from person to person. I had bilateral epf 9 months ago and the docs told me it would be 6 weeks and I would be back to my 'normal' activities. Boy were they wrong. Took me months to walk comfortably and I couldn't jog until after about the 6 month mark. Just this month I got back to playing soccer on a moderate basis. Nonetheless, I am 90% better than I was before surgery & even with the long healing time would do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck and be patient with the results!!

Joe W on 4/22/01 at hrmin (045344)

Brian,
I've had this for about 10 months, tried PT, ice, stretching, shots, and night splints. All of the treatments helped, but did not last. I was even pain free for several weeks following my second shot and night splints. POD advised of only one person he had done who had a poor outcome. He said several years ago, he would do 5 or more procedures a week, now he may do only 5 every few months, giving conservative treatment more of a chance. I'm still not sold on the surgery, I was still able to function (even run), but I have not been totally pain free in 10 months. I think most of his patients are ederly, but he has done a few athletes.
ESWT sounded alright, but thats no picnic either.

BrianG on 4/21/01 at 12:31 (045287)

Hi Joe W,

I think your doc is giving you the best case scenerio on how long you'll be on crutches, and how long it will be before you can return to work. I don't think you mentiond how long you've had PF, but I'm beginning to believe that you have a better chance of recovery if you treat the PF within a year or so. I waited for 5 years before I had the scope procedure. I am no better today, than I was before the surgry. I also have some additional pain in my arch, which can be expected. I was in BIG pain for at least a month, there is no way I could have worked during that time.

On the other hand, we have Pam (Happy Feet) who healed quickly and nicely. Have you asked your doc to provide you with some references of patients he has cut? I would. Ask them how long they had PF, and how long it took them to recover. It sounds like your coming here pretty late in the game, and your mind is made up. I'm here to tell you that EPF does not work for everyone. Good luck.

BCG

T.Hurst on 4/21/01 at 19:11 (045314)

Beware: recovery time can vary widely from person to person. I had bilateral epf 9 months ago and the docs told me it would be 6 weeks and I would be back to my 'normal' activities. Boy were they wrong. Took me months to walk comfortably and I couldn't jog until after about the 6 month mark. Just this month I got back to playing soccer on a moderate basis. Nonetheless, I am 90% better than I was before surgery & even with the long healing time would do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck and be patient with the results!!

Joe W on 4/22/01 at hrmin (045344)

Brian,
I've had this for about 10 months, tried PT, ice, stretching, shots, and night splints. All of the treatments helped, but did not last. I was even pain free for several weeks following my second shot and night splints. POD advised of only one person he had done who had a poor outcome. He said several years ago, he would do 5 or more procedures a week, now he may do only 5 every few months, giving conservative treatment more of a chance. I'm still not sold on the surgery, I was still able to function (even run), but I have not been totally pain free in 10 months. I think most of his patients are ederly, but he has done a few athletes.
ESWT sounded alright, but thats no picnic either.