Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

some good news

Posted by Nancy N on 4/21/01 at 17:15 (045299)

Some of you know that I've been looking to change jobs--actually, to change careers completely. Well, I don't have a new job yet, but I am really excited because I had an interview at a job fair this morning for a local school district--and I nailed it! They're going to bring me back in for a second interview, which is further than I've gotten before in this process, so I'm really thrilled!

Granted, I'll need to get some good shoes to wear if/when I get a teaching job, but that should be comparatively easy. But I'm so hoping that this goes well for me. The next interview could be soon, since they apparently have to have their full faculty roster by May 15th. Keep your fingers crossed!

Re: some good news

Valerie S on 4/21/01 at 17:21 (045300)

Wow, Nancy!

That is fantastic! Congratulations in advance. ... If you're that confident, you're sure to get it!!

So, are you going to be a teacher, like on your feet all day teacher? How will that work out for you?? I don't know you very well, but I can tell that you are so excited, headed toward your dream job!! I am so happy for you!

Have a great day & good luck at your 2nd interview (not that you'll need it... :))

Fabulous!
Val.

Kay S on 4/21/01 at 18:00 (045307)

Nancy--I'm wishing you lots of luck with the next interview! I know this would go a long way towards lifting your spirits. There is a shortage of teachers, from what I have read, so they just better grab you up.
Kay

Nancy N on 4/21/01 at 18:02 (045308)

Thanks, Val!

Well, I don't know for sure yet that this will be my 'dream job,' but it has to be better than what I'm doing now, which I hate. :)

The feet are mostly pain-free these days, so I am hoping that they won't become an issue. I don't believe that it's truly necessary to be on your feet all day anymore, though--I think there are ways to reduce that time, especially since I'm told a lot of teachers at my alma mater have or have survived PF. I'll definitely be checking into good shoes for it, too. The teacher who told me this is one of those folks, and had the surgery a while ago. He has his room set up so that he can be sitting at a desk in front of the kids, and he put a carpet remnant on the floor to cushion things. He did really well with the surgery (can't understand why I don't want it), and I think he has reworked things to take care of his feet. He may have some good ideas for me, if I end up needing them!!

I am really excited--I walked out of there today and I could see the light at the end of the tunnel... it's not bright enough yet to tell how far I am from it, but at least it's there!

Nancy N on 4/21/01 at 18:10 (045310)

Yes, there is a teacher shortage--but it hasn't quite reached this area yet, so it's going to be tougher for me than it could be in other places. But this interview has really given me hope--I have to keep reminding myself that I don't have the job yet. I think part of the reason it went so well is that the interviewer was a very 'up' person, and that makes it easier. I've interviewed for some people who look like they'd rather watch paint dry, and that can be tough.

But I'm still hoping! It is such a wonderful feeling to think that this might actually happen, especially since I tried last year and got almost nowhere (though at that point, my feet wouldn't have been able to handle it anyway).

Wendy G on 4/21/01 at 19:03 (045313)

I don't know you well, how did your PF stop hurting? I'm always anxious to hear how others got to feeling better. Keep us posted on your job!

Nancy N on 4/21/01 at 20:51 (045322)

Wendy--

Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure what did it. I took Celebrex for 6 months while I was in the OrthoWave study (I got the placebo), and then before I stopped taking it (I felt quite good on it but didn't want to be on it forever), I got new orthotics. I wore those for about two weeks before I stopped the Celebrex--I've had them for about a month and have been off the Celebrex for two weeks. So it could be the Celebrex, or the orthotics, or perhaps a combination of the two. I'm not totally sure. I know I was starting to have some nasty posterior tibial tendonitis symptoms before I got the orthotics, and that's gone away now, so I think the orthotics have had a big part in it. I'm just not sure how much.

I don't know how helpful that is, but it's the best I can do--I hope it helps!

Cynthia D on 4/22/01 at 07:53 (045337)

Congratulations on both doing well in your interview and for getting your feet better! I knew your orthotics were on the way, but didn't know that they had such a positive effect for you. That's great! Good luck with your second interview, and if you get the position, I know a surgeon with pf who has to stand for hours at a time. He had a 'gel' pad installed where he stands and this, combined with good shoes, did it for him. Maybe you could get a gel mat. Good luck!

Nancy N on 4/22/01 at 08:32 (045340)

Thanks, Cynthia! The gel mat is a great idea. As for the orthotics, like I said, I can't be 100% sure how much effect they've had, and how much the Celebrex had, but at this point, it would be nice to know, but I can live without knowing! :)

john h on 4/23/01 at 09:46 (045430)

go get that job nancy!

Valerie S on 4/21/01 at 17:21 (045300)

Wow, Nancy!

That is fantastic! Congratulations in advance. ... If you're that confident, you're sure to get it!!

So, are you going to be a teacher, like on your feet all day teacher? How will that work out for you?? I don't know you very well, but I can tell that you are so excited, headed toward your dream job!! I am so happy for you!

Have a great day & good luck at your 2nd interview (not that you'll need it... :))

Fabulous!
Val.

Kay S on 4/21/01 at 18:00 (045307)

Nancy--I'm wishing you lots of luck with the next interview! I know this would go a long way towards lifting your spirits. There is a shortage of teachers, from what I have read, so they just better grab you up.
Kay

Nancy N on 4/21/01 at 18:02 (045308)

Thanks, Val!

Well, I don't know for sure yet that this will be my 'dream job,' but it has to be better than what I'm doing now, which I hate. :)

The feet are mostly pain-free these days, so I am hoping that they won't become an issue. I don't believe that it's truly necessary to be on your feet all day anymore, though--I think there are ways to reduce that time, especially since I'm told a lot of teachers at my alma mater have or have survived PF. I'll definitely be checking into good shoes for it, too. The teacher who told me this is one of those folks, and had the surgery a while ago. He has his room set up so that he can be sitting at a desk in front of the kids, and he put a carpet remnant on the floor to cushion things. He did really well with the surgery (can't understand why I don't want it), and I think he has reworked things to take care of his feet. He may have some good ideas for me, if I end up needing them!!

I am really excited--I walked out of there today and I could see the light at the end of the tunnel... it's not bright enough yet to tell how far I am from it, but at least it's there!

Nancy N on 4/21/01 at 18:10 (045310)

Yes, there is a teacher shortage--but it hasn't quite reached this area yet, so it's going to be tougher for me than it could be in other places. But this interview has really given me hope--I have to keep reminding myself that I don't have the job yet. I think part of the reason it went so well is that the interviewer was a very 'up' person, and that makes it easier. I've interviewed for some people who look like they'd rather watch paint dry, and that can be tough.

But I'm still hoping! It is such a wonderful feeling to think that this might actually happen, especially since I tried last year and got almost nowhere (though at that point, my feet wouldn't have been able to handle it anyway).

Wendy G on 4/21/01 at 19:03 (045313)

I don't know you well, how did your PF stop hurting? I'm always anxious to hear how others got to feeling better. Keep us posted on your job!

Nancy N on 4/21/01 at 20:51 (045322)

Wendy--

Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure what did it. I took Celebrex for 6 months while I was in the OrthoWave study (I got the placebo), and then before I stopped taking it (I felt quite good on it but didn't want to be on it forever), I got new orthotics. I wore those for about two weeks before I stopped the Celebrex--I've had them for about a month and have been off the Celebrex for two weeks. So it could be the Celebrex, or the orthotics, or perhaps a combination of the two. I'm not totally sure. I know I was starting to have some nasty posterior tibial tendonitis symptoms before I got the orthotics, and that's gone away now, so I think the orthotics have had a big part in it. I'm just not sure how much.

I don't know how helpful that is, but it's the best I can do--I hope it helps!

Cynthia D on 4/22/01 at 07:53 (045337)

Congratulations on both doing well in your interview and for getting your feet better! I knew your orthotics were on the way, but didn't know that they had such a positive effect for you. That's great! Good luck with your second interview, and if you get the position, I know a surgeon with pf who has to stand for hours at a time. He had a 'gel' pad installed where he stands and this, combined with good shoes, did it for him. Maybe you could get a gel mat. Good luck!

Nancy N on 4/22/01 at 08:32 (045340)

Thanks, Cynthia! The gel mat is a great idea. As for the orthotics, like I said, I can't be 100% sure how much effect they've had, and how much the Celebrex had, but at this point, it would be nice to know, but I can live without knowing! :)

john h on 4/23/01 at 09:46 (045430)

go get that job nancy!