Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

9 months post-op bilateral epf

Posted by T. Hurst on 4/21/01 at 19:25 (045315)

Just wanted to check in. I'm one of those satisfied surgery patients that doesn't post much anymore & wanted to assure people that surgery can be a good thing. I won't say much here - I just added an entry to the Heel Surgery Patients Database under 'T. Hurst' from Kentucky. But in a nutshell, it's been a long road to recovery. I am now, after 9 months, back to my normal activities, including playing soccer. I am so happy I could cry to have my life back. What an ordeal!

Re: 9 months post-op bilateral epf

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/21/01 at 22:42 (045330)

Gald to here you are doing well. I still remember the cuboid pain that took some time to go away. Enjoy your pain free feet and take good care of them

BrianG on 4/22/01 at 11:47 (045351)

Hi T. Hurst,

I have just come back from reading all your posts. I'm so glad to hear that your almost back to normal. I wish I could say the same for myself. I have a couple questions, if you don't mind. You mentioned the New Balance shoes with the roll bar, are they the 800 series? I'd appreciate the model number. Also, what strength did the doctor start your Vioxx at? Again, good deal.

BCG

PS What ever happened with your left heel? Did it finally heal up as good as the right one?

T. Hurst on 4/22/01 at 20:08 (045390)

Brian - the New Balance model I have is 587, but I am female, so I doubt the mens series is the same. The best way to shop is by first finding your size/width in a shoe store, then go to the web and buy. It's hard to find NB with the rollbar feature in any stores. On the web, the features will specifically list 'rollbar' as a feature - just look for that along with other components you want on a shoe. My NB look a little dorky, but I'm past that, with all my foot pain! I'm on the once-a-day 25mg Vioxx. Pod says it has a very low chance of causing liver problems & I have had no side effects whatsoever (I usually get an upset stomach with anti-inflamatories). My left foot lagged far behind my right in recovery, but is finally catching up with my right. I can hardly tell the difference anymore. The lateral destabilization problems with the left are disappearing, as the docs all said it would in time. Are you considering surgery? If so, I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have.

BrianG on 4/23/01 at 08:03 (045415)

Thanks for the update. I've had the EPF on one foot about 1.5 years ago. It hasn't helped, still in major pain. I'm in the process of switching from Ibuprofen to Vioxx, 12.5mg. I'll probably ask to go to 25mg. after a month if I haven't seen any inprovement. Thanks again.

BCG

PS Just waiting for ESWT to come to Boston

john h on 4/23/01 at 09:49 (045431)

brian: i have worn the New Balance Cross Trainer with rollbar for about 4 years. i think the current model is the 853 or 854. excellent stable shoe at around $80

BrianG on 4/23/01 at 10:53 (045436)

Hi John,

I have a brand new pair of 854's in the closet. I'm just waiting for my new orthotics before breaking them in. And I'll do it s l o w l e y.

Thanks
BCG

JudyS on 4/23/01 at 13:25 (045456)

Really good to hear from you, T! Your recovery sounds much like my husband's. He'd had the MIS surgery and it took about 9-12 months for him to get back to running. But back he is and also says he'd do the surgery again in a second - he's very happy.
Thanks for checking in with us and best wishes for continued success.

Andrea R on 4/23/01 at 15:17 (045477)

New Balance has a great web site. You can enter what type of shoe you need (walking, running, etc.) and if you need to correct pronation, etc. It then gives you a list of shoes that meet the requirements you have. Unfortunately alot of the stores don't know what model you really need.

The right ones have helped but not enough to avoid surgery in May.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/21/01 at 22:42 (045330)

Gald to here you are doing well. I still remember the cuboid pain that took some time to go away. Enjoy your pain free feet and take good care of them

BrianG on 4/22/01 at 11:47 (045351)

Hi T. Hurst,

I have just come back from reading all your posts. I'm so glad to hear that your almost back to normal. I wish I could say the same for myself. I have a couple questions, if you don't mind. You mentioned the New Balance shoes with the roll bar, are they the 800 series? I'd appreciate the model number. Also, what strength did the doctor start your Vioxx at? Again, good deal.

BCG

PS What ever happened with your left heel? Did it finally heal up as good as the right one?

T. Hurst on 4/22/01 at 20:08 (045390)

Brian - the New Balance model I have is 587, but I am female, so I doubt the mens series is the same. The best way to shop is by first finding your size/width in a shoe store, then go to the web and buy. It's hard to find NB with the rollbar feature in any stores. On the web, the features will specifically list 'rollbar' as a feature - just look for that along with other components you want on a shoe. My NB look a little dorky, but I'm past that, with all my foot pain! I'm on the once-a-day 25mg Vioxx. Pod says it has a very low chance of causing liver problems & I have had no side effects whatsoever (I usually get an upset stomach with anti-inflamatories). My left foot lagged far behind my right in recovery, but is finally catching up with my right. I can hardly tell the difference anymore. The lateral destabilization problems with the left are disappearing, as the docs all said it would in time. Are you considering surgery? If so, I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have.

BrianG on 4/23/01 at 08:03 (045415)

Thanks for the update. I've had the EPF on one foot about 1.5 years ago. It hasn't helped, still in major pain. I'm in the process of switching from Ibuprofen to Vioxx, 12.5mg. I'll probably ask to go to 25mg. after a month if I haven't seen any inprovement. Thanks again.

BCG

PS Just waiting for ESWT to come to Boston

john h on 4/23/01 at 09:49 (045431)

brian: i have worn the New Balance Cross Trainer with rollbar for about 4 years. i think the current model is the 853 or 854. excellent stable shoe at around $80

BrianG on 4/23/01 at 10:53 (045436)

Hi John,

I have a brand new pair of 854's in the closet. I'm just waiting for my new orthotics before breaking them in. And I'll do it s l o w l e y.

Thanks
BCG

JudyS on 4/23/01 at 13:25 (045456)

Really good to hear from you, T! Your recovery sounds much like my husband's. He'd had the MIS surgery and it took about 9-12 months for him to get back to running. But back he is and also says he'd do the surgery again in a second - he's very happy.
Thanks for checking in with us and best wishes for continued success.

Andrea R on 4/23/01 at 15:17 (045477)

New Balance has a great web site. You can enter what type of shoe you need (walking, running, etc.) and if you need to correct pronation, etc. It then gives you a list of shoes that meet the requirements you have. Unfortunately alot of the stores don't know what model you really need.

The right ones have helped but not enough to avoid surgery in May.