Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Over-reactive bone removal

Posted by Kevin M on 4/22/01 at hrmin (045334)

Hello. I am going to have surgery on both of my feet to remove over-reactive bone on the back of my heal. I have had this for a while, ever since I started playing hockey. I've played through it for a few years but this year was too much. If anyone has information on this please let me know. I would like to know the recovery time, is there any rehab, how bad does it hurt after, can you walk at all with it? I am suppose to have the surgery the day before prom, I am wondering what shape I would be in for that. Please e-mail me or post information. Thanks!

Kevin

Re: Over-reactive bone removal

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/22/01 at 09:21 (045343)

Hi,

I did get your e-mail and reponded . You are going to be laid up for up to three months. It is going to be very difficult to walk with both feet done
at the same time . Crutches may be necessary. I just recently performed a haglunds procedure for a professional hockey retired a few months ago. This was done thru a miminial incision procedure. Do you know exactly what type of procedure is going to be used. You need to contact your surgeon and disuss with him . The prom is going to be out. Most likely alot of pain for the first week. I hope that this is helpful.

Kevin M on 4/22/01 at hrmin (045347)

Thanks for the reply, I did get your e-mail and also responded. He didn't give an exact name of the procedure. He said they will make an incision on the back of my foot, and sahve down all the bone that he could with out getting the tendon. Would it be better to have one foot done now and one when i come back from europe in june? That might make it less painful and easier to get around. Is there any real cause of this? I figured just from the foot rubbing against the skate, Any Idea on how long it will take to get back skating? Maybe you could ask that hockey player about how long it took to start skating or give him my e-mail. Thanks.

bg cped on 4/22/01 at 20:17 (045392)

I would strongley suggest that you get orthotics AND have your skate stretched, and or ground out around that area. We see it in several nockey and figure skaters. It comes from excess motion and or pressure, your body is trying to heal the area similar in the way you would get a callus if you used a hand saw for 2 hours a day.

If you boot has a plastic counter, sometimes it can be heated and stretched with a device used on ski boots. If it is all leather it can be stretched. A very small amount of pressure or protrusion can cause it, thats why proper control of your foot, and mainly your heel is needed. If you get the procedure and dont get the cause fixed (skate and foot function) you will have poor results. If you have a good tech at your skate shop, have him do the stretch. I would look for a good Pedorthist to possibly modify the boot.

If you are getting it done day before prom, you will get a few sympathy points from the ladies, but you will not win any dance contests

Kevin M on 4/22/01 at hrmin (045394)

Thanks for the advice. I'm probably going to get new skates anyways. What is orthotics? Should I get one done now and one in like a month? Thanks

bg cped on 4/23/01 at 08:59 (045421)

What area are you in? There are not many practitioners around that make truly good skate orthotics. They are like eye glases for your feet, they are custom molded to your feet or a cast. The purpose is to contour an interface between your foot and the skate. It keeps your foot from excess movement. Those bumps on back of heel are caused by your hell shifting every time you stroke. Maybe if you tell us where you live somebody can suggest a good person to consult with

bg cped on 4/23/01 at 13:40 (045461)

My sincere apology on my spelling errors. When I am in a hurry, I dont check or take my time. It is not my fault I have self diagnosed myself as Keyboard Attention Deficit Disorder.....So it is not my fault

Kevin M on 4/23/01 at hrmin (045516)

No problem with the spelling....I'm in the Tampa, Fl area. I'll be going to school in the orlando area starting this summer. If you know anyone who can help, please let me know. Thanks.

MARY S. on 4/24/01 at 20:49 (045619)

KEVIN--JUST READING THIS MAKES ME THINK OF THE SITUATION I AM IN. I WAS TOLD BY AN ORTHO.SURGEON THAT MY ACHILLES TENDON HAS CALCIFIED WHERE IT ATTACHES TO MY HEEL BONE CAUSING EXCESS BONE. RATHER THAN PUTTING ME THROUGH A REALLY HARD SURGERY AND LONG RECOVERY, HE IS GOING TO GO IN THE BACK OF MY CALF AND RELEASE A MUSCLE THAT SHOULD TAKE PRESSURE OFF OF MY ACHILLES TENDON, REDUCING PAIN AND GIVING MY FOOT MORE FEXABILITY. I AM SCHEULED TO DO THIS MAY 25. IT IS CALLED A GASTROC SOLEUS RELEASE AND IS SUPPOSED TO BE MUCH MORE CONSERVATIVE THAN TRIMMNG AWAY ALL THE EXCESS BONE. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WILL SOLVE MY PROBLEM, BUT I TEACH SCHOOL AND CANNOT BE OFF OF MY FEET TOO LONG, SO IT IS WORTH A TRY. THIS SURGEON DOES COME HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AND DEALS ONLY WITH FEET AND ANKLES.
I HAVE SUFFERED WITH HORRIBLE PAIN ON THE VERY BACK OF MY HEEL FOR THREE YEARS AND HAVE BEGUN TO LIMP--IT IS TIME TO TRY SOMETHING.
YOU MIGHT WANT TO ASK ABOUT THIS PROCEDURE FOR YOURSELF. YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY YOUNG AND SHOULD BOUNCE BACK MUCH FASTER.
I DON'T KNOW ALOT ABOUT ALL OF THIS, BUT I WOULD REALLY THINK TWICE ABOUT HAVING BOTH FEET DONE AT THE THE SAME TIME. THAT WOULD BE OVERWHELMING.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/22/01 at 09:21 (045343)

Hi,

I did get your e-mail and reponded . You are going to be laid up for up to three months. It is going to be very difficult to walk with both feet done
at the same time . Crutches may be necessary. I just recently performed a haglunds procedure for a professional hockey retired a few months ago. This was done thru a miminial incision procedure. Do you know exactly what type of procedure is going to be used. You need to contact your surgeon and disuss with him . The prom is going to be out. Most likely alot of pain for the first week. I hope that this is helpful.

Kevin M on 4/22/01 at hrmin (045347)

Thanks for the reply, I did get your e-mail and also responded. He didn't give an exact name of the procedure. He said they will make an incision on the back of my foot, and sahve down all the bone that he could with out getting the tendon. Would it be better to have one foot done now and one when i come back from europe in june? That might make it less painful and easier to get around. Is there any real cause of this? I figured just from the foot rubbing against the skate, Any Idea on how long it will take to get back skating? Maybe you could ask that hockey player about how long it took to start skating or give him my e-mail. Thanks.

bg cped on 4/22/01 at 20:17 (045392)

I would strongley suggest that you get orthotics AND have your skate stretched, and or ground out around that area. We see it in several nockey and figure skaters. It comes from excess motion and or pressure, your body is trying to heal the area similar in the way you would get a callus if you used a hand saw for 2 hours a day.

If you boot has a plastic counter, sometimes it can be heated and stretched with a device used on ski boots. If it is all leather it can be stretched. A very small amount of pressure or protrusion can cause it, thats why proper control of your foot, and mainly your heel is needed. If you get the procedure and dont get the cause fixed (skate and foot function) you will have poor results. If you have a good tech at your skate shop, have him do the stretch. I would look for a good Pedorthist to possibly modify the boot.

If you are getting it done day before prom, you will get a few sympathy points from the ladies, but you will not win any dance contests

Kevin M on 4/22/01 at hrmin (045394)

Thanks for the advice. I'm probably going to get new skates anyways. What is orthotics? Should I get one done now and one in like a month? Thanks

bg cped on 4/23/01 at 08:59 (045421)

What area are you in? There are not many practitioners around that make truly good skate orthotics. They are like eye glases for your feet, they are custom molded to your feet or a cast. The purpose is to contour an interface between your foot and the skate. It keeps your foot from excess movement. Those bumps on back of heel are caused by your hell shifting every time you stroke. Maybe if you tell us where you live somebody can suggest a good person to consult with

bg cped on 4/23/01 at 13:40 (045461)

My sincere apology on my spelling errors. When I am in a hurry, I dont check or take my time. It is not my fault I have self diagnosed myself as Keyboard Attention Deficit Disorder.....So it is not my fault

Kevin M on 4/23/01 at hrmin (045516)

No problem with the spelling....I'm in the Tampa, Fl area. I'll be going to school in the orlando area starting this summer. If you know anyone who can help, please let me know. Thanks.

MARY S. on 4/24/01 at 20:49 (045619)

KEVIN--JUST READING THIS MAKES ME THINK OF THE SITUATION I AM IN. I WAS TOLD BY AN ORTHO.SURGEON THAT MY ACHILLES TENDON HAS CALCIFIED WHERE IT ATTACHES TO MY HEEL BONE CAUSING EXCESS BONE. RATHER THAN PUTTING ME THROUGH A REALLY HARD SURGERY AND LONG RECOVERY, HE IS GOING TO GO IN THE BACK OF MY CALF AND RELEASE A MUSCLE THAT SHOULD TAKE PRESSURE OFF OF MY ACHILLES TENDON, REDUCING PAIN AND GIVING MY FOOT MORE FEXABILITY. I AM SCHEULED TO DO THIS MAY 25. IT IS CALLED A GASTROC SOLEUS RELEASE AND IS SUPPOSED TO BE MUCH MORE CONSERVATIVE THAN TRIMMNG AWAY ALL THE EXCESS BONE. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WILL SOLVE MY PROBLEM, BUT I TEACH SCHOOL AND CANNOT BE OFF OF MY FEET TOO LONG, SO IT IS WORTH A TRY. THIS SURGEON DOES COME HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AND DEALS ONLY WITH FEET AND ANKLES.
I HAVE SUFFERED WITH HORRIBLE PAIN ON THE VERY BACK OF MY HEEL FOR THREE YEARS AND HAVE BEGUN TO LIMP--IT IS TIME TO TRY SOMETHING.
YOU MIGHT WANT TO ASK ABOUT THIS PROCEDURE FOR YOURSELF. YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY YOUNG AND SHOULD BOUNCE BACK MUCH FASTER.
I DON'T KNOW ALOT ABOUT ALL OF THIS, BUT I WOULD REALLY THINK TWICE ABOUT HAVING BOTH FEET DONE AT THE THE SAME TIME. THAT WOULD BE OVERWHELMING.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU.