Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Too Much Too Soon??

Posted by Mike on 4/22/01 at hrmin (045349)

Hello again to all... Been following most since before I had TTS on Feb 7th this year. However, now over 10 weeks since surgery, I have a few questions I was hoping someone would answer.
Usually at this time of year, I am out wading around in trout streams fishing when I am not working. I live for spring trout fishing.
I had my plantar release and TTS surgery done Feb 7th and thought all went well.
My last visit to my doc, slightly over 2 weeks ago, he stated I am forming way too much scar tissue at the surgery site and it may need removed. I begged him to let me go back to work, but he said 'Not regular full time duty just yet.' We agreed on light duty for now.
Well, in a few short days, light duty became up and down six flights of stairs about a dozen times a day, standing working on automated computer systems in remote areas on concrete floors for hours which were cold and damp, doing alot of walking, etc.
When I come home after these 8 to 11 hour days, I cant wait to get out of my shoes and prop my feet up on my recliner. My off hours are spent taking celebrex or motrin to relieve pain, and hoping I can walk tomorrow without pain. I worked 96 hours in the past two weeks.
My questions are these:
When does the pain stop?
Isnt 10 weeks long enough to rehab?
When I touch or rub the long surgery site at the ankle, why do I feel an electric shock sensation going down the site and into the heel and foot?
Is the above something normal and will it go away?
Whats the deal with scar tissue formation at a surgery site?
I figured walking, standing, etc by now would be normal - I take that it may not be?
Curious as if I may be pushing too much?
Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks again, and I hope all are doing well.
Mike

Re: Too Much Too Soon??

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/22/01 at 12:49 (045358)

You really have to be on your feet alot. Patient tell me that TTS surgery can take six months or longer for complete healing to take place. The ankle and foot are probaby swelling and causing pressure on the surgical TTS release sites. You have to try to take it easy.
Now the scar tissue issue could be normal at this stage. I have seen the scar tissue take one year to go away. Phyical Therapy including electrical stimuation of the the area and ultrasound are two very good physical therapy treatment that can help. Rest is the real bit one. An elastic support such as futuro ankle supports can be purchased usually at the local drug store. There are going to be alot of posters who can help you relate to this long post-op period of pain , swellilng and feeling like this will never end It will

wendyn on 4/22/01 at 14:11 (045365)

Mike - from all my research...6 months to 1 year for full healing seems to be the common answer. I understand most people are off work for at least 8 weeks, and I'm guessing those are people who have to be on their feet as much as you do.

It sounds like you are doing way way too much.

The shocks sound normal, I had them when I had my bunion surgery. I was told that it was related to the nerves healing. Mention it to your doctor though just to be sure... I seem to think it lasted close to a year after bunion surgery.

Feet are the SLOWEST healing part of your entire body. The circulation is the slowest, and it's hard to rest them.

Please slow down and go for the long haul recovery...rushing things is going to make your recovery even more difficult.

Kay S on 4/22/01 at 16:14 (045373)

Mike--- I just want to respond to the electric shock thing. I had tt surgery in September and remember feeling those shocks from time to time for quite awhile. I haven't felt that lately, so it must take 4 to 5 months for that to go away.
It sounds to me like you are overdoing it at work. I can't believe you are actually ABLE to do that.
Good luck.
Kay

chris on 4/23/01 at 08:04 (045416)

Yes...I think you are pushing it! I returned to work after 4 weeks but I have basically a desk job, not much activity except to get coffee in the morning...no, not that sedentary, but compared to your hours and activity! Listen to your doctor...you won't get better if you don't take care of your foot.

I too, had the electric shock feelings...mine was more on the bottom of the foot, but definite shock feelings. they have since gone away.

The doctor felt I was developing scar tissue following surgery and sent me to PT where I had ultasound and exercises from h***...they worked me, but I'm better for it.

As everyone else has mentioned...it can take at least 6 months to recover from surgery, esp in the foot region...

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/22/01 at 12:49 (045358)

You really have to be on your feet alot. Patient tell me that TTS surgery can take six months or longer for complete healing to take place. The ankle and foot are probaby swelling and causing pressure on the surgical TTS release sites. You have to try to take it easy.
Now the scar tissue issue could be normal at this stage. I have seen the scar tissue take one year to go away. Phyical Therapy including electrical stimuation of the the area and ultrasound are two very good physical therapy treatment that can help. Rest is the real bit one. An elastic support such as futuro ankle supports can be purchased usually at the local drug store. There are going to be alot of posters who can help you relate to this long post-op period of pain , swellilng and feeling like this will never end It will

wendyn on 4/22/01 at 14:11 (045365)

Mike - from all my research...6 months to 1 year for full healing seems to be the common answer. I understand most people are off work for at least 8 weeks, and I'm guessing those are people who have to be on their feet as much as you do.

It sounds like you are doing way way too much.

The shocks sound normal, I had them when I had my bunion surgery. I was told that it was related to the nerves healing. Mention it to your doctor though just to be sure... I seem to think it lasted close to a year after bunion surgery.

Feet are the SLOWEST healing part of your entire body. The circulation is the slowest, and it's hard to rest them.

Please slow down and go for the long haul recovery...rushing things is going to make your recovery even more difficult.

Kay S on 4/22/01 at 16:14 (045373)

Mike--- I just want to respond to the electric shock thing. I had tt surgery in September and remember feeling those shocks from time to time for quite awhile. I haven't felt that lately, so it must take 4 to 5 months for that to go away.
It sounds to me like you are overdoing it at work. I can't believe you are actually ABLE to do that.
Good luck.
Kay

chris on 4/23/01 at 08:04 (045416)

Yes...I think you are pushing it! I returned to work after 4 weeks but I have basically a desk job, not much activity except to get coffee in the morning...no, not that sedentary, but compared to your hours and activity! Listen to your doctor...you won't get better if you don't take care of your foot.

I too, had the electric shock feelings...mine was more on the bottom of the foot, but definite shock feelings. they have since gone away.

The doctor felt I was developing scar tissue following surgery and sent me to PT where I had ultasound and exercises from h***...they worked me, but I'm better for it.

As everyone else has mentioned...it can take at least 6 months to recover from surgery, esp in the foot region...