Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

3 days post op

Posted by linda on 4/22/01 at 15:31 (045371)

Quick report on my surgery. I had nerve entrapment release and release of faschia done to left foot. My Dr. says NO weight bearing for 6 weeks?? Wants me out of work for 2. Since I got off the pain killer 2 days post op I have been feeling much better. The drug (percocet) was to much for my system so I got off it 2 days post op! ( groggy and slept all the time, not able to eat). Anyway, I'm wondering why everyone else is 'walking' around and I'm not. My Dr. says he is old school - NO WALKING. I don't think I could walk anyway right now with the cast he has on my foot anyway. I have an incision from the top of my ankle to the side of my foot. Maybe it's because of the incision? I don't know. Thanks for the good wishes. I'd love to hear back from some of you. :-) linda

Re: 3 days post op

GinaC on 4/22/01 at 17:35 (045376)

Hi Linda! I'm a little more than 5 weeks post-op (pf release, TT/nerve entrapment release and spur removal) and I'm almost to the point of walking without crutches. First two weeks were pretty much non-weightbearing (was allowed to toe touch) and since then I've gradually been adding more weight on the surgical foot. My incision was 2 inches just below the ankle. Everyone gets such different post-op instructions I've concluded that the best you can do is to 'dance with the one who brought you,' trust your doctor, and do what he suggests...hope you'll really be dancing in the near future--no matter how long it takes! Good luck! Gina
PS You may also get more specific instructions at the appointment to get your stitches removed.

Pam R. on 4/22/01 at 17:57 (045379)

Hi Gina--' Dance with the one that brought you'--Wow what a terrific way of putting it. I'm just at that point. It's almost dancing time for me , if I had the energy that is. Seems like life isn't fair sometimes , but I know He has a reason for everything, even if we don't understand. Well, it's been 4 weeks now post-op and I'm on the hunt for some good shoes. It's hard when you live in a small town. I have some Reebox DMX on order. They should be here next week sometime and if they are comfortable , I am the point I don't care how much they cost , I need some shoes!!! I'm going to order my Birks over the Web--no local stores , here in Hootersville!! I'm glad you are doing well and Linda hang in there--before you know it we all will be dancing again. Love you Guys!! ((Soft Hugs)) Pam

P. Ann on 4/22/01 at 22:32 (045403)

Linda, if you trust you doctor enough to have him/her perform surgery, trust their post-op instructions. If you feel you need to stretch, walk or move faster than they suggest,talk to your doc about it. I am post-op 5 weeks and I still am unable to put full weight on the heel of my foot,I had the same instructions you do. PT thought I should stretch at least and my doc said IF I felt up to it, to go ahead, but if it hurt too badly, stop! Your fascia tendon is one of the strongest in your body, don't rush it's healing. Also, alot of the people who are up and walking may not have had the open release, which takes longer to heal than EPF. So follow your insticts, your pain tolerance and talk to your doctor about your concerns.
How are you going to go back to work in 2 weeks if you can't weight bear??

linda on 4/23/01 at 08:44 (045418)

P.Ann - Thanks for the advice. I'm just giving in to the idea of not being able to bear any weight for 6 weeks. Had a tough night last night. Couldn't sleep b/c my foot was hurting. I think overall I've had it pretty easy though. As far as going back to work I will use crutches or if I have to I'll get a wheelchair. My joy requires very little walking. I'll try crutches first and if I can't handle it that way I'll try the wheelchair. Thanks again for posting :-)

Re: another option

GinaC on 4/23/01 at 10:02 (045432)

In addition to crutches and wheelchair, you might also want to consider a walker with wheels. Worked for me, till it flaired up my carpal tunnel, but you might find it's perfect for you.

Susan U on 4/23/01 at 11:55 (045446)

Hi. I did have open pf release on 4/11. My dr. said I could walk on it as soon and as much as I wanted to. I walked right after surgery--but I was still pretty shot up with whatever they put in there. The next day or two were hard, but then I put more and more weight on it. I stopped using my walker and started w/a quadcane and so far, so good.

Do you elevate your foot in bed at night? I found that helped alot with the nighttime pain. Also, I iced it all night long for the first 3 nights.

Good luck with your recovery, but do whatever your dr. says. Everyone is different!

GinaC on 4/22/01 at 17:35 (045376)

Hi Linda! I'm a little more than 5 weeks post-op (pf release, TT/nerve entrapment release and spur removal) and I'm almost to the point of walking without crutches. First two weeks were pretty much non-weightbearing (was allowed to toe touch) and since then I've gradually been adding more weight on the surgical foot. My incision was 2 inches just below the ankle. Everyone gets such different post-op instructions I've concluded that the best you can do is to 'dance with the one who brought you,' trust your doctor, and do what he suggests...hope you'll really be dancing in the near future--no matter how long it takes! Good luck! Gina
PS You may also get more specific instructions at the appointment to get your stitches removed.

Pam R. on 4/22/01 at 17:57 (045379)

Hi Gina--' Dance with the one that brought you'--Wow what a terrific way of putting it. I'm just at that point. It's almost dancing time for me , if I had the energy that is. Seems like life isn't fair sometimes , but I know He has a reason for everything, even if we don't understand. Well, it's been 4 weeks now post-op and I'm on the hunt for some good shoes. It's hard when you live in a small town. I have some Reebox DMX on order. They should be here next week sometime and if they are comfortable , I am the point I don't care how much they cost , I need some shoes!!! I'm going to order my Birks over the Web--no local stores , here in Hootersville!! I'm glad you are doing well and Linda hang in there--before you know it we all will be dancing again. Love you Guys!! ((Soft Hugs)) Pam

P. Ann on 4/22/01 at 22:32 (045403)

Linda, if you trust you doctor enough to have him/her perform surgery, trust their post-op instructions. If you feel you need to stretch, walk or move faster than they suggest,talk to your doc about it. I am post-op 5 weeks and I still am unable to put full weight on the heel of my foot,I had the same instructions you do. PT thought I should stretch at least and my doc said IF I felt up to it, to go ahead, but if it hurt too badly, stop! Your fascia tendon is one of the strongest in your body, don't rush it's healing. Also, alot of the people who are up and walking may not have had the open release, which takes longer to heal than EPF. So follow your insticts, your pain tolerance and talk to your doctor about your concerns.
How are you going to go back to work in 2 weeks if you can't weight bear??

linda on 4/23/01 at 08:44 (045418)

P.Ann - Thanks for the advice. I'm just giving in to the idea of not being able to bear any weight for 6 weeks. Had a tough night last night. Couldn't sleep b/c my foot was hurting. I think overall I've had it pretty easy though. As far as going back to work I will use crutches or if I have to I'll get a wheelchair. My joy requires very little walking. I'll try crutches first and if I can't handle it that way I'll try the wheelchair. Thanks again for posting :-)

Re: another option

GinaC on 4/23/01 at 10:02 (045432)

In addition to crutches and wheelchair, you might also want to consider a walker with wheels. Worked for me, till it flaired up my carpal tunnel, but you might find it's perfect for you.

Susan U on 4/23/01 at 11:55 (045446)

Hi. I did have open pf release on 4/11. My dr. said I could walk on it as soon and as much as I wanted to. I walked right after surgery--but I was still pretty shot up with whatever they put in there. The next day or two were hard, but then I put more and more weight on it. I stopped using my walker and started w/a quadcane and so far, so good.

Do you elevate your foot in bed at night? I found that helped alot with the nighttime pain. Also, I iced it all night long for the first 3 nights.

Good luck with your recovery, but do whatever your dr. says. Everyone is different!