Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Pain

Posted by Sherry C. on 4/23/01 at hrmin (045406)

Hello,
I have been having heel pain in both feet. Mostly in the left. It started about 2-3 months ago. At first, it was a dull pain but gradually it started to increased. I went from mild to severe. My activities varies. I have 3 children and I coach girls softball. So I am very active. There are times I can barely walk. In the mornings, it is so intense, I have to take very, very, very small steps and I am hanging onto walls or whatever is near. After I'm awake for a little bit the pain will decrease for about an hour. Then it starts up again. My pain lasts 24 hours 7 days a week. Not a day goes by without pain. Yes, I have taken aleve, ice packs, heating pad and rest. Nothing works. Yes, I am over weight by 30 lbs. However, I have been overweight for the past 8 years. My weight goes up and down. By the way, when the pain started 2-3 months ago. I don't recall doing anything to injure my heels. And no I am not depressed about anything. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. No I haven't went to a doctor yet. I am from low income family and cannot afford it. For the record, I also have carpel tunnel syndrom in my right elbow and wrist. My children are on chips program.

Re: Heel Pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/23/01 at 06:41 (045410)

You know going to the doctor is the best action at this time. Taping in the mean time can be very helpful. Take a look at the heel pain book section on taping and there is also a video. Each and every painful step is causing injury to the plantar fasci. You could have a stress fracture. There are many people on this board in your same position and we are all here to help you. So try the taping today.

JudyS on 4/23/01 at 14:03 (045464)

Sherry - I'm not a doctor so can't advise you medically but can share a little 'been there' experience! In addition to seeing a doc ASAP, you really should stay off your feet as much as you can. Especially if you've had foot pain for several months but haven't been able to back off on your activities. The sooner you do, the better off you'll be. Staying off your feet pretty much means giving up unnescesary activites for the time being. You have to walk, but perhaps you don't have to coach? Believe me I know because I've been a softball/baseball coach for over 15 years. I failed to give up my coaching/playing activites as well as running soon enough so now I'm in year 3 of heel pain. Read the PF Book here and follow the traditional treatments - i.e., rest, ice, ibuprofen, GENTLE calf stretches, etc. If you can do that religiously for a while, you stand a good chance of healing sooner rather than later. But you have to be devoted to it! Remember, if you do have PF, it's an 'itis' - an inflammation just like Tennis Elbow or a pulled hamstring. It's just more difficult to heal becuase it's on your feet! Is there a state-sponsored medical program you could appeal to in order to see a doctor?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/23/01 at 06:41 (045410)

You know going to the doctor is the best action at this time. Taping in the mean time can be very helpful. Take a look at the heel pain book section on taping and there is also a video. Each and every painful step is causing injury to the plantar fasci. You could have a stress fracture. There are many people on this board in your same position and we are all here to help you. So try the taping today.

JudyS on 4/23/01 at 14:03 (045464)

Sherry - I'm not a doctor so can't advise you medically but can share a little 'been there' experience! In addition to seeing a doc ASAP, you really should stay off your feet as much as you can. Especially if you've had foot pain for several months but haven't been able to back off on your activities. The sooner you do, the better off you'll be. Staying off your feet pretty much means giving up unnescesary activites for the time being. You have to walk, but perhaps you don't have to coach? Believe me I know because I've been a softball/baseball coach for over 15 years. I failed to give up my coaching/playing activites as well as running soon enough so now I'm in year 3 of heel pain. Read the PF Book here and follow the traditional treatments - i.e., rest, ice, ibuprofen, GENTLE calf stretches, etc. If you can do that religiously for a while, you stand a good chance of healing sooner rather than later. But you have to be devoted to it! Remember, if you do have PF, it's an 'itis' - an inflammation just like Tennis Elbow or a pulled hamstring. It's just more difficult to heal becuase it's on your feet! Is there a state-sponsored medical program you could appeal to in order to see a doctor?