Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ART

Posted by carol on 4/23/01 at 02:26 (045407)

Please describe what ART is? Is it done with hands or some sort of equipment? Hot or cold etc. Carol

Re: ART

Donna SL on 4/23/01 at 08:49 (045420)

Hi Carol,

Look at the post, and view thread on 4-17-01 in the treatment/symptoms section of the board, 'Active release therapy (ART) is miraculous' There's a lot of info listed there. It's all done with the doctor's hands. No hot/cold or special equipment.

Donna

JudyS on 4/23/01 at 13:45 (045462)

Carol, ART (Active Release Therapy) is done by a Chiropractor or therapist with his/her hands - mostly thumbs. It is a very deep, slow massage in a motion that follows the length of the Plantar. I believe the theory is that the Plantar Fascia can be, in chronic cases, riddled with scar tissue and the ART is supposed to 'break up' the scar tissue giving the Plantar more flexability and more healing blood-circulation.

Re: But can ART be done applying pressure on the tarsal tunnel?

Matt L on 4/24/01 at 08:57 (045547)

I've had ART a couple years ago for PF with mixed results- certainly didn't do any harm. But can it be done on the ankle? Seems any type of aggressive massage could possibly force the scar tissue into the nerve as well as help eliminate it.

wendyn on 4/24/01 at 13:37 (045580)

I would be VERY careful about having this massage performed on the tunnel. I personally wouldn't do it. I've had it on the bottoms of my feet though - and other spots and it seemed to help some. I would have to think that deep massage right on an inflamed nerve would be bad.

Re: Opps! for Matt Re: But can ART be done applying pressure on the tarsal tunnel?

Donna SL on 4/24/01 at 15:07 (045585)

Matt,

Look at my response to a posting from Alan B on accupuncture and TTS above on 4-24-01.

Donna

Donna SL on 4/23/01 at 08:49 (045420)

Hi Carol,

Look at the post, and view thread on 4-17-01 in the treatment/symptoms section of the board, 'Active release therapy (ART) is miraculous' There's a lot of info listed there. It's all done with the doctor's hands. No hot/cold or special equipment.

Donna

JudyS on 4/23/01 at 13:45 (045462)

Carol, ART (Active Release Therapy) is done by a Chiropractor or therapist with his/her hands - mostly thumbs. It is a very deep, slow massage in a motion that follows the length of the Plantar. I believe the theory is that the Plantar Fascia can be, in chronic cases, riddled with scar tissue and the ART is supposed to 'break up' the scar tissue giving the Plantar more flexability and more healing blood-circulation.

Matt L on 4/24/01 at 08:57 (045547)

I've had ART a couple years ago for PF with mixed results- certainly didn't do any harm. But can it be done on the ankle? Seems any type of aggressive massage could possibly force the scar tissue into the nerve as well as help eliminate it.

wendyn on 4/24/01 at 13:37 (045580)

I would be VERY careful about having this massage performed on the tunnel. I personally wouldn't do it. I've had it on the bottoms of my feet though - and other spots and it seemed to help some. I would have to think that deep massage right on an inflamed nerve would be bad.

Re: Opps! for Matt Re: But can ART be done applying pressure on the tarsal tunnel?

Donna SL on 4/24/01 at 15:07 (045585)

Matt,

Look at my response to a posting from Alan B on accupuncture and TTS above on 4-24-01.

Donna