Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

can you offer your opinion?

Posted by claudia on 4/23/01 at 22:29 (045522)

i saw my podiatrist today and all he had to say was this: yes indeed, the soft tissue isn't healing properly. if it doesn't start to heal soon...it has been almost four months since my bunionectomy and plantar fasciotomy...there will be a big problem with scar tissue and then i will need surgery to remove the scar tissue. he said to stop physical therapy because it is most likely making things worse. first i MUST go to physical therapy, now i MUST stop.....and he STILL did not outline any kind of PLAN for the next three weeks before i see him again. i ask 'should i not walk on it?' and he says 'actually walking is good for it, but not standing in one place...avoid that.' 'avoid it all the time or can i do it for short periods of time, like grocery sh opping?' and he says 'do what you can tolerate but stay off it as much as you can'...i am very dangerously close to losing my mind at this point. does it sound like he knows what he is doing? or does he just see so many feet that he just can't grasp the struggle i am having???? AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!
i told him that the only thing physical therapy had to offer that gave me any relief was when my heel was taped; so he taped me and said to keep it taped....but his taping is very lame (no pun intended) compared to that of the physical therapist so it isn't making much difference in how i feel.
would seeking the opinion of an orthodpedic doctor be helpful at all at this point? i mean there's nothing on my x-rays that indicates an orthopedic problem...it's all soft tissue stuff....but i don't know who else to turn to....besides you that is.....don't you feel like you should be payed for being a psychotherapist too????? i was kind of hoping he would say let's put you/me in a cast for a while to rest everything and give it a break.....but he didn't even mention the possibility. do you have any thoughts that might be helpful????? i remain so very grateful.
thank you.

Re: can you offer your opinion?

wendyn on 4/23/01 at 23:02 (045528)

Claudia, a second opinion is never a bad idea.

Claudia to dr. zuckerman again on 4/24/01 at 06:43 (045535)

i almost forgot to mention that my doctor said the soft tissue is 'having difficulty realigning' after the straightening of the toe from the bunionectomy. does this make you see any red flags? thanks again.

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/24/01 at hrmin (045540)

A second opinion is never a bad idea. I certainly would not suggest 'jumping ship' early during the post operative phase, but it appears that you've been patient and have been receiving conflicting answers. If you email me and let me know where you live, I will recommend a doctor that I believe will give you a thorough assessment and evaluation and honest second opinion.

claudia to dr. wander on 4/24/01 at 14:39 (045583)

THANK YOU! I have e-mailed you to tell you where I live. THANK YOU!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/24/01 at 18:04 (045606)

Hi,

There are times that the soft tissue won't hold the big toe in perfect
alignment. The question is what kind of pain are you having with the big toe joint. It is my understanding that you plantar fascia release is what is causing you your real pain.

I have a patient that I am going to perform a bunionectomy and a heel spur operation on in the next few weeks. The patient has severe pain in the big toe join and server heel spur pain. He had bunionectomy and TTS, and heel spur operation in the past.

The only way I told the patient I would do this is if he is off his feet for about three months and will go to physical therapy after the operations . He must do range of motion excercise for the new implant we are going to use for him. This very rare but ther are some very few patients that can will be candidates for these two procedures at the same time.

TERESA CHILDERS on 4/27/01 at hrmin (045961)

I have a calicfied achilles. The mass is getting larger and more painful.
I play soccer, I took the Dr. advice and took 6 weeks off playin,took antiinflamatories, ice and heat, no real relief. Even hurt to walk the treadmill. What are my options?

wendyn on 4/23/01 at 23:02 (045528)

Claudia, a second opinion is never a bad idea.

Claudia to dr. zuckerman again on 4/24/01 at 06:43 (045535)

i almost forgot to mention that my doctor said the soft tissue is 'having difficulty realigning' after the straightening of the toe from the bunionectomy. does this make you see any red flags? thanks again.

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/24/01 at hrmin (045540)

A second opinion is never a bad idea. I certainly would not suggest 'jumping ship' early during the post operative phase, but it appears that you've been patient and have been receiving conflicting answers. If you email me and let me know where you live, I will recommend a doctor that I believe will give you a thorough assessment and evaluation and honest second opinion.

claudia to dr. wander on 4/24/01 at 14:39 (045583)

THANK YOU! I have e-mailed you to tell you where I live. THANK YOU!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/24/01 at 18:04 (045606)

Hi,

There are times that the soft tissue won't hold the big toe in perfect
alignment. The question is what kind of pain are you having with the big toe joint. It is my understanding that you plantar fascia release is what is causing you your real pain.

I have a patient that I am going to perform a bunionectomy and a heel spur operation on in the next few weeks. The patient has severe pain in the big toe join and server heel spur pain. He had bunionectomy and TTS, and heel spur operation in the past.

The only way I told the patient I would do this is if he is off his feet for about three months and will go to physical therapy after the operations . He must do range of motion excercise for the new implant we are going to use for him. This very rare but ther are some very few patients that can will be candidates for these two procedures at the same time.

TERESA CHILDERS on 4/27/01 at hrmin (045961)

I have a calicfied achilles. The mass is getting larger and more painful.
I play soccer, I took the Dr. advice and took 6 weeks off playin,took antiinflamatories, ice and heat, no real relief. Even hurt to walk the treadmill. What are my options?