Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Thanks for asking Brian/I dont know how it is

Posted by Tammie on 4/24/01 at hrmin (045550)

Well today is one week from my foot surgery,I am not sure how it is going as I have only the board to follow and I have found myself researching to much. I have no fever,but i do have pain. I dont know if I am overreacting to things due to stress of not knowing or stress of life in general or if there is a problem. I am not feeling confident,I can tell u I have been doing what he said bearing weight ,my foot is swollen my toes are the most swollen I had nice feet lol, now my one foot looks like a dumbo one all fat and ugly. I cannot sleep at night it seems to be worse at night , I find myself awake with like some one is shocking me, I hate even a blanket to even touch my foot I cannot make it comfortable with pillow without up is worse if I hang it down over bed gives some relief I have medicated myself I take tylonol pm with some hubbys ultram and I still wake up . It throbs and I get like I dont know how to describe but feels like electrical currants going up my leg in back and my side of foot to toes , my ankle seems very week lately I wonder if due to the surgery when I try to walk sometimes feels like it rolls out like gives,I have that pnem,atic cast on and I think u need to pump with air but noone ever told me to or how. And I AM NOT calling him to ask. I am finishing treatment with him and never going back to another dr. unless I am dieing lol drastic huh, well I feel that way. I think all dr. should give a sheet out what is some norms after surgery and what are the things to be alert to and when to call your dr. I think the incision site rubs on the cast as It feels sore but is bandaged so cannot see,I can see where it has bled thru sometimes like yesterday I seen some fresh blood not allot but I could see fresh . It feels irritated and again I think maybe rubbing I have very heavy socks that they gave me so it is padded well I also put sock under theres thinking maybe pad it better. He thinks i will be in shoes fri. lol that will be interesting as right now so swollen it will never fit in MY SHOES . Oh well I am waiting for improvement and hope this is all normal heeling for the Pf release and spur filed down. Thanks for asking I am sorry I gave u such a long answer. I am depressed over life right now as seems everything is coming down around me. So giving myself a piety party today and going to find a good book and make popcorn .Anyone want to join me I cant go shopping so guess got to settle for this. Tammie

Re: Thanks for asking Brian/I dont know how it is

JudyS on 4/24/01 at 11:17 (045563)

Tammie, when do you go for a recheck on your foot? It sure sounds like that swelling and tenderness might have to be looked at. Has your doc said that that was normal? While I can appreciate that you're very leery of Docs right now, I wonder if you should insist on a check of your foot today. The one thing that you need the most is reassurance and if you have to be pushy to be seen right away, then so be it.

BrianG on 4/24/01 at 13:30 (045578)

Hi Tammie,

I know how you feel, but now is not the time to desert your doc. Please call him. There is too much going on with with your heel right now, call him. I'll try to get in touch with you later.

Keep the faith
BCG

Re: Re/lol see a dr. who is always unavailableLOL

tammie on 4/24/01 at hrmin (045582)

Well I do see him on fri afternoon, I assume to take out stitches and put shoe on lol we will see. I am relaxing today as It is cool and depressing out so good for a snuggle and after a sleepness night feels good to lay around. Do u know I am hating soap operas lol. Well even if I wanted ot see the dr. that is almost to funny, he is never available always they have to track him down. Even when I had a reaction to the vicaden If there were not nurses to advise lol oh boy.Well thanks for the care but still wonder if this is just the healing process.I have noticed this electrical sensation occurs when I am on fet to and also comes in the heel area when up. But maybe due to swelling? I am just going to play the wait game and deal with it till fri. if he doesnt seem worried then I guess it is ok. I will definetly tell the nurse as she is the best one who actually listens. Thanks again. I hope u aare feeling ok this cool weather is such a change from yesterdays heat wave. The acheyness hits us more weather like this.our age coming thru

SuzanneK on 4/24/01 at hrmin (045612)

Hi Tammie. I am a frequent lurker and sometime poster who had a two-thirds pf release and heel spur removal on June 1, 2000. My foot was very swollen and painful after the surgery. I could not have stood the pain if I hadn't been on vicodin. I don't know how you can take it - you need some kind of prescription pain relief, especially to help you sleep. Stay off your foot if it hurts - it is telling you something! Ice it and keep it elevated. I sat in my recliner the whole summer! I went home on crutches with orders not to even toe touch. I went back for my first post-op appointment 5 days later, where the dressing was changed and a bandage cast put on. My doctor told me at that time that I could begin to put as much weight on my foot as I could tolerate. Went back about 10 days after that for stitches removal. At that point, I was still using the crutches A LOT. The only shoe I could wear then was my Birkenstock sandal. My foot stayed noticably swollen for several months. I am a 3rd grade teacher, and I took the summer off completely. I used one crutch for support when I knew I was going to be doing much walking (i.e., more than from the door to the car, lol!) When I went back to school the 4th of August, I was still having some pain when I was on my feet too much. (Not the same pf pain, just an achy, tired feeling). I had the same tingly, shocky feelings you are reporting for about 5-6 months. My doctor said it was just all the tissue healing, and that it would subside. He was right! I still know it when I overdo it - my ankle hurts. I really think it will be at least a full year before I am back to pre-pf status - if I ever am. But considering the fact that I was rolling around school in a wheelchair (WHY did I believe it so necessary to finish out the year with my kids - it's he** being conscientious!!) where I am now is not too bad. Please go slowly. Write down your questions and take them in with you when you go see the doctor. Insist on some pain relief. REST, REST, REST! And email me if you want to . . .

Re: You have mail

BrianG on 4/25/01 at 17:51 (045717)

Hi Tammie,

Have you checked your e-mail? I sent you something. Hang in there.

BCG

Re: SUZANNE, FELLOW TEACHER

MARY S. on 4/25/01 at 20:10 (045739)

SUZANNE--WAS READING YOUR MESSAGE AND NOTICED THAT YOU ARE ALSO A TEACHER. I TEACH 4TH GRADE AND WILL BE HAVING SURGERY MAY 25. DID I UNDERSTAND YOU TO SAY THAT YOU WERE IN A WHEEL CHAIR WHEN YOU WENT BACK TO SCHOOL AFTER STAYING OFF YOUR FOOT ALL SUMMER?? I JUST DON'T KNOW IF I AM PREPARED FOR ALL OF THIS!!
I GUESS THAT I WORRY TOO MUCH, BUT I AM ALREADY WORRYING ABOUT BATHING, DRESSING AND OF COURSE, BEING FULL STEAM AHEAD BY THE TIME SCHOOL STARTS.
IF YOU HAVE ANY GOOD SUGGESTIONS TO SHARE ABOUT MANUVERING AROUND, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR ADVICE.

SuzanneK on 4/25/01 at 21:29 (045752)

Nope, I used the wheelchir prior to surgery. I was crazy enough to think I had to finish out the year. Dumb, I know. . . When I went back in August, I was in pretty good shape!

Re: Thanks Brian/will check now

Tammie on 4/26/01 at 09:22 (045799)

Hi ,
Feeling better frame of mind this am and will go read my mail ! Thanks Brian for caring! Hugs to u my new friend.Hope you have a sunny day!

john h on 4/26/01 at 12:00 (045824)

i had swelling for 2 months after my surgery but it did pass.

john h on 4/26/01 at 12:02 (045825)

tammie: make sure you are keeping the foot elevated and with ice if possible/

Betsy S on 4/26/01 at hrmin (045859)

I also am a teacher. I went back to school after one week. I used a chair that had wheels and used it like a scooter. The kids thought that was fun. They helped alot. I was on crutches for 4 weeks. Good Luck, you'll be fine

JudyS on 4/24/01 at 11:17 (045563)

Tammie, when do you go for a recheck on your foot? It sure sounds like that swelling and tenderness might have to be looked at. Has your doc said that that was normal? While I can appreciate that you're very leery of Docs right now, I wonder if you should insist on a check of your foot today. The one thing that you need the most is reassurance and if you have to be pushy to be seen right away, then so be it.

BrianG on 4/24/01 at 13:30 (045578)

Hi Tammie,

I know how you feel, but now is not the time to desert your doc. Please call him. There is too much going on with with your heel right now, call him. I'll try to get in touch with you later.

Keep the faith
BCG

tammie on 4/24/01 at hrmin (045582)

Well I do see him on fri afternoon, I assume to take out stitches and put shoe on lol we will see. I am relaxing today as It is cool and depressing out so good for a snuggle and after a sleepness night feels good to lay around. Do u know I am hating soap operas lol. Well even if I wanted ot see the dr. that is almost to funny, he is never available always they have to track him down. Even when I had a reaction to the vicaden If there were not nurses to advise lol oh boy.Well thanks for the care but still wonder if this is just the healing process.I have noticed this electrical sensation occurs when I am on fet to and also comes in the heel area when up. But maybe due to swelling? I am just going to play the wait game and deal with it till fri. if he doesnt seem worried then I guess it is ok. I will definetly tell the nurse as she is the best one who actually listens. Thanks again. I hope u aare feeling ok this cool weather is such a change from yesterdays heat wave. The acheyness hits us more weather like this.our age coming thru

SuzanneK on 4/24/01 at hrmin (045612)

Hi Tammie. I am a frequent lurker and sometime poster who had a two-thirds pf release and heel spur removal on June 1, 2000. My foot was very swollen and painful after the surgery. I could not have stood the pain if I hadn't been on vicodin. I don't know how you can take it - you need some kind of prescription pain relief, especially to help you sleep. Stay off your foot if it hurts - it is telling you something! Ice it and keep it elevated. I sat in my recliner the whole summer! I went home on crutches with orders not to even toe touch. I went back for my first post-op appointment 5 days later, where the dressing was changed and a bandage cast put on. My doctor told me at that time that I could begin to put as much weight on my foot as I could tolerate. Went back about 10 days after that for stitches removal. At that point, I was still using the crutches A LOT. The only shoe I could wear then was my Birkenstock sandal. My foot stayed noticably swollen for several months. I am a 3rd grade teacher, and I took the summer off completely. I used one crutch for support when I knew I was going to be doing much walking (i.e., more than from the door to the car, lol!) When I went back to school the 4th of August, I was still having some pain when I was on my feet too much. (Not the same pf pain, just an achy, tired feeling). I had the same tingly, shocky feelings you are reporting for about 5-6 months. My doctor said it was just all the tissue healing, and that it would subside. He was right! I still know it when I overdo it - my ankle hurts. I really think it will be at least a full year before I am back to pre-pf status - if I ever am. But considering the fact that I was rolling around school in a wheelchair (WHY did I believe it so necessary to finish out the year with my kids - it's he** being conscientious!!) where I am now is not too bad. Please go slowly. Write down your questions and take them in with you when you go see the doctor. Insist on some pain relief. REST, REST, REST! And email me if you want to . . .

Re: You have mail

BrianG on 4/25/01 at 17:51 (045717)

Hi Tammie,

Have you checked your e-mail? I sent you something. Hang in there.

BCG

MARY S. on 4/25/01 at 20:10 (045739)

SUZANNE--WAS READING YOUR MESSAGE AND NOTICED THAT YOU ARE ALSO A TEACHER. I TEACH 4TH GRADE AND WILL BE HAVING SURGERY MAY 25. DID I UNDERSTAND YOU TO SAY THAT YOU WERE IN A WHEEL CHAIR WHEN YOU WENT BACK TO SCHOOL AFTER STAYING OFF YOUR FOOT ALL SUMMER?? I JUST DON'T KNOW IF I AM PREPARED FOR ALL OF THIS!!
I GUESS THAT I WORRY TOO MUCH, BUT I AM ALREADY WORRYING ABOUT BATHING, DRESSING AND OF COURSE, BEING FULL STEAM AHEAD BY THE TIME SCHOOL STARTS.
IF YOU HAVE ANY GOOD SUGGESTIONS TO SHARE ABOUT MANUVERING AROUND, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR ADVICE.

SuzanneK on 4/25/01 at 21:29 (045752)

Nope, I used the wheelchir prior to surgery. I was crazy enough to think I had to finish out the year. Dumb, I know. . . When I went back in August, I was in pretty good shape!

Re: Thanks Brian/will check now

Tammie on 4/26/01 at 09:22 (045799)

Hi ,
Feeling better frame of mind this am and will go read my mail ! Thanks Brian for caring! Hugs to u my new friend.Hope you have a sunny day!

john h on 4/26/01 at 12:00 (045824)

i had swelling for 2 months after my surgery but it did pass.

john h on 4/26/01 at 12:02 (045825)

tammie: make sure you are keeping the foot elevated and with ice if possible/

Betsy S on 4/26/01 at hrmin (045859)

I also am a teacher. I went back to school after one week. I used a chair that had wheels and used it like a scooter. The kids thought that was fun. They helped alot. I was on crutches for 4 weeks. Good Luck, you'll be fine