Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Walking shoes

Posted by Barb G on 4/24/01 at 13:07 (045572)

I was wondering if someone could recommend the best type of walking shoes to help cushion the heel and possibly alleviate some of the pain associated with PF.

Thank you...

Barb ~:)

Re: Walking shoes

JudyS on 4/24/01 at 13:13 (045573)

Barb, lots of folks here are very happy with the New Balance 800 series, walking or running shoes. I'm sure someone will tell you more in more posts.....

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/24/01 at 13:13 (045574)

Hi,
The most important aspect of a good walking shoe is that the shank(arch) of the shoe is stiff. Test this by bending the shoe like a bow. If it doesn't bend then ok. Some of the brands are the New Balance sneaker SAS shoe. Search the engine for shoes , will find alot of good information about shoes and what pf suffers really like for comfort.

Mary J on 4/25/01 at hrmin (045660)

Barb G. AVIA sports shoes have an unusual heel in that the bottom of the heel has a ring around it and the middle of the heel is inverted to keep pressure off the middle of the heel. They also have the stiff shank and only bend near the toe. I just purchased some, and I like them. Good luck to you. Mary J.

Denise on 5/12/01 at 01:45 (047555)

I would like to get some feedback on walking shoes. What are the best type, etc. I can't seem to find any that really feel good on my feet!
Someone said New Balance has different types and you need to really know what to look for, any suggestions? I bought a pair of them and hope I got the right type.
Deniseee

Pauline on 5/12/01 at 22:04 (047621)

Hi Denise,
I use running shoes because they usually provide more support, however,
it is possible that the newer designed walking shoes may also provide you with what you need. They usually say flex the shoe off your foot and if it bends in the middle you do not have enough support. This is what I have been told. Most of us have spent hours trying on different shoes, buying
a pair only to take them back. It takes time to find a comfortable shoe
so what ever one you decide on, wear them at home for a while and always
purchase them at stores that have a return policy. Best of luck and don't give up----you will find a pair.

Andrea R. on 5/14/01 at 07:39 (047698)

Denise,

Check out the New Balance web site. You have to get the right model for your foot. You can enter what you need in a shoe and get a list of which ones fit the bill. At least it gives you a place to start. Remember to go shoe shopping at the end of the day.

good luck, Andrea

Denise on 5/14/01 at 07:42 (047699)

Hi Pauline,
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that we shouldn't wear shoes that flexed in the middle. Like you stated, I will probably have to buy several pair before I find the ones right for me.
I appreciate the feedback, and good luck to you as well.
Denise

Denise on 5/14/01 at 07:48 (047702)

Hi Andrea,
Good Info! I have a feeling that I will be returning this pair of New Balance walking shoes that I got, they just don't feel right.
I never thought to check out their web site. And trying on shoes at the end of the day really is a great idea. If the shoes feel good on tired feet then they must be really good.
Thanks again,
Denise

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/14/01 at 14:19 (047723)

Take the sneaker and try to bend it at the shoe If the middle of the shoe bends then its not the right shoe for your pf

JudyS on 4/24/01 at 13:13 (045573)

Barb, lots of folks here are very happy with the New Balance 800 series, walking or running shoes. I'm sure someone will tell you more in more posts.....

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/24/01 at 13:13 (045574)

Hi,
The most important aspect of a good walking shoe is that the shank(arch) of the shoe is stiff. Test this by bending the shoe like a bow. If it doesn't bend then ok. Some of the brands are the New Balance sneaker SAS shoe. Search the engine for shoes , will find alot of good information about shoes and what pf suffers really like for comfort.

Mary J on 4/25/01 at hrmin (045660)

Barb G. AVIA sports shoes have an unusual heel in that the bottom of the heel has a ring around it and the middle of the heel is inverted to keep pressure off the middle of the heel. They also have the stiff shank and only bend near the toe. I just purchased some, and I like them. Good luck to you. Mary J.

Denise on 5/12/01 at 01:45 (047555)

I would like to get some feedback on walking shoes. What are the best type, etc. I can't seem to find any that really feel good on my feet!
Someone said New Balance has different types and you need to really know what to look for, any suggestions? I bought a pair of them and hope I got the right type.
Deniseee

Pauline on 5/12/01 at 22:04 (047621)

Hi Denise,
I use running shoes because they usually provide more support, however,
it is possible that the newer designed walking shoes may also provide you with what you need. They usually say flex the shoe off your foot and if it bends in the middle you do not have enough support. This is what I have been told. Most of us have spent hours trying on different shoes, buying
a pair only to take them back. It takes time to find a comfortable shoe
so what ever one you decide on, wear them at home for a while and always
purchase them at stores that have a return policy. Best of luck and don't give up----you will find a pair.

Andrea R. on 5/14/01 at 07:39 (047698)

Denise,

Check out the New Balance web site. You have to get the right model for your foot. You can enter what you need in a shoe and get a list of which ones fit the bill. At least it gives you a place to start. Remember to go shoe shopping at the end of the day.

good luck, Andrea

Denise on 5/14/01 at 07:42 (047699)

Hi Pauline,
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that we shouldn't wear shoes that flexed in the middle. Like you stated, I will probably have to buy several pair before I find the ones right for me.
I appreciate the feedback, and good luck to you as well.
Denise

Denise on 5/14/01 at 07:48 (047702)

Hi Andrea,
Good Info! I have a feeling that I will be returning this pair of New Balance walking shoes that I got, they just don't feel right.
I never thought to check out their web site. And trying on shoes at the end of the day really is a great idea. If the shoes feel good on tired feet then they must be really good.
Thanks again,
Denise

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/14/01 at 14:19 (047723)

Take the sneaker and try to bend it at the shoe If the middle of the shoe bends then its not the right shoe for your pf