Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

rising arches

Posted by Lynn on 4/25/01 at hrmin (045656)

I have a problem that sounds a little strange and that almost no one seems to believe is possible. I doubt I'd believe it's possible had I not been watching it happen.

I've had foot pain for the last dozen years (in varying degrees, though it never goes away), most often in the arch but also in the heel, but what's unusual is that over roughly the same timeframe my arches have been slowly but steadily rising.

My arches used to be all but nonexistent -- when I was standing, my whole foot touched the floor, and there was but a slight curve in my foot. But a couple of years after I started having foot pain, I noticed that I seemed to have more of an arch, and that my arch no longer contacted the floor. I remember measuring and finding it was about 1/4' high.

A year or so after that, I saw a podiatrist, and he essentially told me I was imagining things. I was pretty sure I wasn't, but I didn't argue much. A year or so after that, I tried again and got roughly the same response.

I haven't really tried again since, but I think I'm going to have to. The pain's gotten worse, and I just measured my arches again a few days ago, and the highest point is almost 3/4' high.

I'm just looking for some clue as to what's causing this and what kinds of things could be done to give me some relief from the pain.

Thanks,
Lynn

Re: rising arches

Donna SL on 4/25/01 at 10:30 (045663)

Lynn,

There's a condition called Charcot-Marie Tooth Disease (CMT). It's a weird name. It is a neurological condition that could be causing this. Please go to a neurologist to be tested.

Donna

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/25/01 at 14:42 (045684)

Lynn,

Donna is 100% correct. There are several neurological diseases than can cause a progressive increase in the arch height. She is also correct when she mentions Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, which causes a wasting and atrophy of certain muscle groups. This is often referred to as 'stork' legs, since some of the lower leg muscles atrophy causing a 'stork' leg appearance. CMT is not life threatening and you MUST be evaluated by a neurologist. I can not make a diagnosis over the internet, and I do not want to alarm you with a diagnosis of a neurological disease, but CMT can certainly be ONE cause of an arch that is increasing in height. I would recommend a neurology consult in the very near future.

Pauline on 4/25/01 at 15:02 (045691)

Dr.Wander,
Just wanted you to know I like the way you answer questions. You do not diagnose over the net, you appear honest and straight forward. Your not selling anything and you are not an alarmist. I think you are an asset to this board.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/25/01 at 17:22 (045708)

There is also DNA testing for CMT.

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/26/01 at 08:45 (045793)

Pauline,

Thanks you for the kind words. I've expressed my views many times on this site regarding internet diagnoses, and can't believe that any doctor would attempt to make a diagnosis without evaluating the patient. And thanks for noticing that I'm not trying to sell anything or promote anything.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/26/01 at 14:04 (045844)

Just by being on this board you are promoting foot health. Now that is a great promotion.

Donna SL on 4/25/01 at 10:30 (045663)

Lynn,

There's a condition called Charcot-Marie Tooth Disease (CMT). It's a weird name. It is a neurological condition that could be causing this. Please go to a neurologist to be tested.

Donna

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/25/01 at 14:42 (045684)

Lynn,

Donna is 100% correct. There are several neurological diseases than can cause a progressive increase in the arch height. She is also correct when she mentions Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, which causes a wasting and atrophy of certain muscle groups. This is often referred to as 'stork' legs, since some of the lower leg muscles atrophy causing a 'stork' leg appearance. CMT is not life threatening and you MUST be evaluated by a neurologist. I can not make a diagnosis over the internet, and I do not want to alarm you with a diagnosis of a neurological disease, but CMT can certainly be ONE cause of an arch that is increasing in height. I would recommend a neurology consult in the very near future.

Pauline on 4/25/01 at 15:02 (045691)

Dr.Wander,
Just wanted you to know I like the way you answer questions. You do not diagnose over the net, you appear honest and straight forward. Your not selling anything and you are not an alarmist. I think you are an asset to this board.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/25/01 at 17:22 (045708)

There is also DNA testing for CMT.

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/26/01 at 08:45 (045793)

Pauline,

Thanks you for the kind words. I've expressed my views many times on this site regarding internet diagnoses, and can't believe that any doctor would attempt to make a diagnosis without evaluating the patient. And thanks for noticing that I'm not trying to sell anything or promote anything.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/26/01 at 14:04 (045844)

Just by being on this board you are promoting foot health. Now that is a great promotion.