Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Are orthotics addictive

Posted by Dondi on 4/25/01 at hrmin (045692)

I just picked up my new orthotics today, and purchased Brooks Addiction 1V running shoes to wear with them. My question is do I now have to wear orthotics for the rest of my life - or once my PF is gone can I return to wearing my normal dress shoes alternately? All of which are too narrow for the high arch orthotic I will need. I wear AAA shoes with about 1 inch square heel. I work in a executive office and the shoes that do accomodate an orthotic do not look dressy enough for a business suit. I have an entire closet with shoes I fear I will never wear again. Thank you...

Re: Are orthotics addictive

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/25/01 at 20:14 (045741)

That is a very good question. Once the pf pain is under control then what I tell patients is that yes they can wear dress shoe but if they are going to be on their feet alot them switch to the shoes that they can wear the orthosis in. There are some companies that make a dress shoe orthosis. Wait until the pf is under control before the back to the dress shoe

Richard, C.Ped on 4/25/01 at 21:02 (045747)

I agree with Dr. Z. Once you get the pf under control, you do not want it to flare up again. It is not a bad thing to have to wear an orthosis. I find them very comfortable. I guess my feet are so used to the support, it feels uncomfortable when I do not wear them.

Do make sure you get the pf under control first.

Richard

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/25/01 at 20:14 (045741)

That is a very good question. Once the pf pain is under control then what I tell patients is that yes they can wear dress shoe but if they are going to be on their feet alot them switch to the shoes that they can wear the orthosis in. There are some companies that make a dress shoe orthosis. Wait until the pf is under control before the back to the dress shoe

Richard, C.Ped on 4/25/01 at 21:02 (045747)

I agree with Dr. Z. Once you get the pf under control, you do not want it to flare up again. It is not a bad thing to have to wear an orthosis. I find them very comfortable. I guess my feet are so used to the support, it feels uncomfortable when I do not wear them.

Do make sure you get the pf under control first.

Richard