Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need advice on ankle brace

Posted by Beverly on 4/25/01 at 19:29 (045729)

Hi docs,

I finally got to see my new sports medicine doctor today. He put me in an ankle stablizer. He carries two brands in his office: ASO and Rocketsoc. They did not have the ASO in my size. Thus, I'm in the more bulky Rocketsoc.
Here is my question. I've seen ads on the net for a wide variety of ankle stablizers. They all look similar to what I'm wearing. Some lace up; some velcro. Some of the ankle stablizers advertize themselves as being less bulky; taking up less room in the shoe. Are these lightweight styles as good? Is this something that is ok to experiment with until I find the most comfortable fit?
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Need advice on ankle brace

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/25/01 at 19:40 (045732)

The entire purpose of these device is to prevent the ankle and foot from turning from side to side or what we call inversion and eversion. So if they can do this then comfort and fit into the shoe is the next feature that is important. I like the aircast due to the ability to add air to make the sides more comfortable very easy to fit into your shoes.

Re: Need advice on ankle brace

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/25/01 at 19:40 (045732)

The entire purpose of these device is to prevent the ankle and foot from turning from side to side or what we call inversion and eversion. So if they can do this then comfort and fit into the shoe is the next feature that is important. I like the aircast due to the ability to add air to make the sides more comfortable very easy to fit into your shoes.