Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

continuing saga

Posted by rekha.s on 4/25/01 at 23:31 (045770)

today I had appt with podiatrist who says the MRI shows no lesions, tumors or masses in the tunnel area. I told the doctor that my symptoms have only gotten worse...even stretching my leg straight sends a electrical shock type sensation to my middle toes. Pressing on the tt area also elicits this shock...so I am getting referred to neurology for an emg. I don't know what to think....doctor suggested that it could be coming from my back...but my symptoms are only concentrated in ankle and foot...I have had back problems in the past, but back hasn't bothered me since....

I was also given vitamin b6...by a seperate doctor...he says it could help people with cts and tts. Also have increased my neurontin intake to 3600 mg per day.

Anyone out there with suggestions?

Re: continuing saga

wendyn on 4/25/01 at 23:36 (045772)

Rekha - have you been tested for B12? I'm sorry - I can't remember.

I have read that anything over 100 mg a day of B6 can actually cause neuropathy. How much are you going to be on?

I had a lot of the same sensations in my legs and feet last year...so I can relate to how awful it feels.

Nerve conduction testing is the next right step I think. When do you go?

rekha on 4/26/01 at 03:14 (045778)

Wendy,

Doctor gave my Vit B6 100 mg twice a day..so total of 200 mg.....is that too much? Are you sure? I will look into it, and in the meantime take only 1 tablet..

I don't know when the emg will be...probably few weeks....

I have also joined a pain management program, .This program is really helping me..to learn to cope, meditate, stretch,...etc...

In the meantime...I'll just have to wait and see..

These electric shock sensations are like torture....its unlike anything i have ever experienced...very different from plantar fasciitis.

thanks for all your support Wendy...and how is your shoulder? better I hope...take care

wendyn on 4/26/01 at 07:51 (045788)

rekha - don't go against what your doctor said based on what I've read.

Call your pharmacy - and check out the website at http://www.neuropathy.org - or something like that I can post the link later.

They have lots of folks there who haver researched the B vitamins to death.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 5/01/01 at 00:08 (046315)

I don't remember your whole history. 'Space occupying lesions' such as lesions, tumors and masses are not the only things that cause TTS. Swelling from injury or inflammation, pronation (flat feet) or engorged veins are other things that may cause it as well. Often, things do get missed on MRI as well.

rekha on 5/01/01 at 02:33 (046318)

Dr Reid, I have bi-lateral plantar fasciitis. I went for orbasone treatment in January.....in early february started noticing tingling in left foot....which progressed to ankle area...I was touching the ankle area to check for any weird feeling...maybe that aggrevated it....I don't know....have been having increased symptoms of burning, tingling, crawling feeling....and now anytime i touch below the ankle area, there is a definite tinel's sign that goes to my middle toes....also feel electric type shock when foot is dorsiflexed...the podiatrist ordered mri..and said nothing showed up..now emg is to be scheduled...also have twitching in my foot and below inner ankle..

I don't know what to think...but podiatrist is holding off on diagnosing as tts...although a different dr says it most probably is tts due to tinel's sign and electric shock...

Dr. Marlene Reid on 5/01/01 at 22:18 (046392)

It does sound like TTS. Keep us posted on the test results.

wendyn on 4/25/01 at 23:36 (045772)

Rekha - have you been tested for B12? I'm sorry - I can't remember.

I have read that anything over 100 mg a day of B6 can actually cause neuropathy. How much are you going to be on?

I had a lot of the same sensations in my legs and feet last year...so I can relate to how awful it feels.

Nerve conduction testing is the next right step I think. When do you go?

rekha on 4/26/01 at 03:14 (045778)

Wendy,

Doctor gave my Vit B6 100 mg twice a day..so total of 200 mg.....is that too much? Are you sure? I will look into it, and in the meantime take only 1 tablet..

I don't know when the emg will be...probably few weeks....

I have also joined a pain management program, .This program is really helping me..to learn to cope, meditate, stretch,...etc...

In the meantime...I'll just have to wait and see..

These electric shock sensations are like torture....its unlike anything i have ever experienced...very different from plantar fasciitis.

thanks for all your support Wendy...and how is your shoulder? better I hope...take care

wendyn on 4/26/01 at 07:51 (045788)

rekha - don't go against what your doctor said based on what I've read.

Call your pharmacy - and check out the website at http://www.neuropathy.org - or something like that I can post the link later.

They have lots of folks there who haver researched the B vitamins to death.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 5/01/01 at 00:08 (046315)

I don't remember your whole history. 'Space occupying lesions' such as lesions, tumors and masses are not the only things that cause TTS. Swelling from injury or inflammation, pronation (flat feet) or engorged veins are other things that may cause it as well. Often, things do get missed on MRI as well.

rekha on 5/01/01 at 02:33 (046318)

Dr Reid, I have bi-lateral plantar fasciitis. I went for orbasone treatment in January.....in early february started noticing tingling in left foot....which progressed to ankle area...I was touching the ankle area to check for any weird feeling...maybe that aggrevated it....I don't know....have been having increased symptoms of burning, tingling, crawling feeling....and now anytime i touch below the ankle area, there is a definite tinel's sign that goes to my middle toes....also feel electric type shock when foot is dorsiflexed...the podiatrist ordered mri..and said nothing showed up..now emg is to be scheduled...also have twitching in my foot and below inner ankle..

I don't know what to think...but podiatrist is holding off on diagnosing as tts...although a different dr says it most probably is tts due to tinel's sign and electric shock...

Dr. Marlene Reid on 5/01/01 at 22:18 (046392)

It does sound like TTS. Keep us posted on the test results.