Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hello - from London this time

Posted by Julie on 4/26/01 at 07:18 (045784)

Hi Everyone

It was so nice to get back and find you were thinking of me - thanks! I had a lovely two weeks in Loutro: it is my favourite place in the world, and I always return refreshed and that's why I go there often. Very unadventurous, and people ask me if I don't get bored doing the same walks again and again, but I don't. It's a beautiful, remote part of Crete, far down in the southwest, and it's always different. I spend my time walking in the bare hills with goats for company, swimming in the absolutely clear, fresh Libyan Sea (Africa is just 200 miles away) and doing lots of unhurried yoga practice on the hill above the village, again in the company of goats. (I love the goats - the little ones scamper about on quiet little feet, making no more noise than kittens).

Dr Z, no chance of losing me - though I've resolved not to spend quite so much time on line in general - but your suspicion that I might want to stay there was well-founded. I'm already looking forward to next time (late September).

I knew this would be the real test of my heel. Most of you know that in India in January it got spectacularly better, and it stayed better, but this time I really pushed it. The hills are steep and stony, you're walking on stones the whole time and almost never on the level, and I did as much walking as I've ever done - at least 2-3 hours, sometimes 4-5, every day. My foot weathered all that, and it's ok now, just the occasional twinge. I'll post on the Treatments board about my terrific tape, which kept its tension and support through all that walking and also all the swimming. It's wonderful not to be restricted and hampered - the mental and emotional strain of having to think about every step, every activity, was always worse than the physical pain. I don't consider myself 'cured'; I decided ages ago that there is no such thing as 'going back to normal', and I know I will always have to be mindful of my feet. But I'm happy with things as they are now.

There's no way I can catch up with everything - I've read through the whole of the ESWT saga (about which I can only say - controversy is fine, but animosity is awful and I'm sorry there has been so much of it). I'm glad I wasn't here for it: I wouldn't havebeen able to resist getting involved. Anyway, I hope it's finished now, and I hope that my suspicion that there are undeclared interests is unfounded.

Apart from that, it's good to be back, and I hope you are all flourishing.

All the best, Julie

Re: Julie's here!! :)

Valerie S on 4/26/01 at 10:22 (045805)

Welcome back, Julie!

We sure missed you... I am so glad to hear that you had a nice, relaxing vacation... Dancing with the goats... never herd of that... hee hee. Crete sounds absolutely like paradise, and the way you describe it... oh I can dream... hee hee. I think the swimming and the mountaintop yoga sound the best. I can see you, walking over the hills...

So glad you came back, even after reading what you did... things almost got out of hand, without you here to keep people in line! (wink)

The best news is that you made it home safely, and that your feet are not giving you any trouble. That is so great to hear! You give me hope! Thanks for sharing your vacation story with us, and thanks for just being you! I missed you...

Your friend, Val.

Re: Julie's here!! :)

Valerie S on 4/26/01 at 10:22 (045805)

Welcome back, Julie!

We sure missed you... I am so glad to hear that you had a nice, relaxing vacation... Dancing with the goats... never herd of that... hee hee. Crete sounds absolutely like paradise, and the way you describe it... oh I can dream... hee hee. I think the swimming and the mountaintop yoga sound the best. I can see you, walking over the hills...

So glad you came back, even after reading what you did... things almost got out of hand, without you here to keep people in line! (wink)

The best news is that you made it home safely, and that your feet are not giving you any trouble. That is so great to hear! You give me hope! Thanks for sharing your vacation story with us, and thanks for just being you! I missed you...

Your friend, Val.