Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How do you select a neurologist?

Posted by Helene M on 4/26/01 at 13:53 (045841)

I'd like to have further evaluation from a neurologist regarding my positive NCS (done by physiatrist)/TTS diagnosis to find out the cause. Since I'm not currently under the care of a pod or ortho, I can't ask for a referral. It would be easy to 'pick a name' from my HMO's Dr. listings but I'd rather not. Do I need to find a neurologist who is very familiar with the lower extremities (if there is such a thing?) or will any one do?

Re: How do you select a neurologist?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/26/01 at 13:59 (045842)

This is a very good question. If would be helpful to have a referral from one of our present or past doctor by that isn't going to help you today.

I would call and speak with the nurse from the list that your HMO has given you. Explained your foot situation and ask her or him frankly does the doctor treat alot of this type of problem.

Her respond or lack of respond mayb be a clue as to who you should go to.

Most neurologists should be able to handle peripheral nerve injury and or disease.

Re: How do you select a neurologist?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/26/01 at 13:59 (045842)

This is a very good question. If would be helpful to have a referral from one of our present or past doctor by that isn't going to help you today.

I would call and speak with the nurse from the list that your HMO has given you. Explained your foot situation and ask her or him frankly does the doctor treat alot of this type of problem.

Her respond or lack of respond mayb be a clue as to who you should go to.

Most neurologists should be able to handle peripheral nerve injury and or disease.