Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New doctor, same old remedies

Posted by Lori B on 4/26/01 at 15:01 (045850)

I have just started with a new Dr. (new insurance wouldn't cover the old Dr.) Actually, I was kind of glad because it seemed that while the previous Dr. had tried several things, he had pretty much run the gamut of treatments he thought we should try. Actually, I went to this new Dr. several weeks ago, but he has been sick, so other Pods have been filling in for him; I actually saw a podiatric assistant to another Dr. She went over my history and decided that the next thing to try was a night splint. I have done pretty well with it, as far as being able to sleep, but it really hasn't helped much with the chronic pain. It is also starting to cause pain on the outside of my ankle, right under the ankle bone.
The new Dr. took x-rays of my foot and discovered that I now have a spur on the back of my heel, right at the insertion spot for my Achilles tendon, which accounts for the constant pain that feels like the tendon is ripping out of the insertion point. I also have completely flat feet, which I already knew. There is no arch of any kind which of course puts me into the high risk category for PF. I told him I had custom orthotics, (which I had forgotten to bring), but that I didn't wear them much because I wear Birkies most of the time and orthotics don't work in them. He told me that the reason I was still having a problem was because I wasn't wearing them consistantly. I don't believe that because even when I wear them I don't feel like they help much and in fact contribute to the heel pain because they are so hard. He told me to wear them in my Birkies anyway, so I have them in now. He also put me on a massive dose of oral cortisone. I really don't want the shot, and thank goodness he didn't push it, so hopefully the oral cortisone will work just as well. He is trying very hard to avoid surgery, as am I because of the long recovery period. the next remedy is an air cast to rest the foot. I am so ready for that, to see if it will work. Sometimes I just feel that if I could just put my feet up for 6 weeks, they would get better, but it's not really feasible.
He did tell me that he is going to discuss with his professional group of Dr.'s about getting the Ossa-tron. I hope they decide to do it-it would be the only one in Utah.
I am starting to learn to say no to certain activities that I know will cause my feet to hurt, like excessive walking and standing. I'll give these orthotics a decent chance and see if they help. Wish me luck.

Re: New doctor, same old remedies

Beverly on 4/26/01 at 20:57 (045910)

Lori,

Are you the same Lori who was zapped by Dr. Z?
I hope the steroids help. I have not tried the oral steroids. So, I can't offer any thoughts there. I had the shots and didn't get any relief. I've been offered the pill form, but since the shots didn't help me at all, I've been relunctant to take the oral form and get stuck with weight gain. But hey, if I thought they'd work, I'd gladly accept the pills! So, I am keeping that option open for the future.
I'll be very interested to know how you feel when you finish your steroid pack.
I too am beginning the nightsplint.
Did your doctor have any idea why you've developed that spur?
Best wishes,
Beverly

Lori B on 4/27/01 at 00:00 (045925)

Beverly
I hope I don't have to take the steroids long enough to worry about weight gain. It sure wouldn't help at Weight Watchers. Isn't it ironic that one of the things we need to take for the inflammation contributes to the overall reason some of us suffer from PF--too much weight. Go figure.
My Dr. says the reason a person develops spurs is the body's reaction to irritation over a long period. I had x-rays of both feet last year that showed spurs under the heel, but this new x-ray today shows a new spur on the back of my heel. I assume it developed for the same reason--too much strain on that area. I've been feeling the pulling for awhile now, and it's due to the spur in that area. Funny that it's not what's causing the pain, and Dr.s don't usually do anything for them.
Interesting development: I wore my orthotics in my Birkies most of the day and my feet really do feel much better. Yet when I wear the orthotics in other shoes with no arch, the orthotics don't really seem to help. Maybe I need a very high arch orthotic since I have none of my own. The only thing is that the top edge of the orthotic digs into my arch right behind the ball of my foot which is not comfortable, but the heel pain is gone. Thanks for your concern.
Lori

Beverly on 4/26/01 at 20:57 (045910)

Lori,

Are you the same Lori who was zapped by Dr. Z?
I hope the steroids help. I have not tried the oral steroids. So, I can't offer any thoughts there. I had the shots and didn't get any relief. I've been offered the pill form, but since the shots didn't help me at all, I've been relunctant to take the oral form and get stuck with weight gain. But hey, if I thought they'd work, I'd gladly accept the pills! So, I am keeping that option open for the future.
I'll be very interested to know how you feel when you finish your steroid pack.
I too am beginning the nightsplint.
Did your doctor have any idea why you've developed that spur?
Best wishes,
Beverly

Lori B on 4/27/01 at 00:00 (045925)

Beverly
I hope I don't have to take the steroids long enough to worry about weight gain. It sure wouldn't help at Weight Watchers. Isn't it ironic that one of the things we need to take for the inflammation contributes to the overall reason some of us suffer from PF--too much weight. Go figure.
My Dr. says the reason a person develops spurs is the body's reaction to irritation over a long period. I had x-rays of both feet last year that showed spurs under the heel, but this new x-ray today shows a new spur on the back of my heel. I assume it developed for the same reason--too much strain on that area. I've been feeling the pulling for awhile now, and it's due to the spur in that area. Funny that it's not what's causing the pain, and Dr.s don't usually do anything for them.
Interesting development: I wore my orthotics in my Birkies most of the day and my feet really do feel much better. Yet when I wear the orthotics in other shoes with no arch, the orthotics don't really seem to help. Maybe I need a very high arch orthotic since I have none of my own. The only thing is that the top edge of the orthotic digs into my arch right behind the ball of my foot which is not comfortable, but the heel pain is gone. Thanks for your concern.
Lori