Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and pain in joints in thigh and hip area

Posted by Jo Anne T. on 4/26/01 at hrmin (045891)

I have had PF for about 2 years. About 1 1/2 yrs ago began to have pain where the thigh bone joins the pelvic bone (I think). So I'm at the point that if I walk my feet hurt; when I sit my bottom hurts. I'm wondering if cal. deposites could be forming there just as they have in my heels. I have two small bone spurs, as both feet are affected. I go next week to try the orthodics. The coritsone shots were great! but only lasted about 10 days. Yes, there's pain first thing in the morning, but it's not long before it's really bad for the whole day; now including my behind. I go in two weeks to check that area out. If I'm this way at 52 what will I be like at 62???? I'm (was) (try to be) very athletic, but now just standing is so un!!comfortable. Can someone be specific.....how long and how often should I ice these feet?

Re: PF and pain in joints in thigh and hip area

Richard, C.Ped on 4/26/01 at 20:57 (045909)

Hi Jo Anne,
I am not sure about the calcium deposits. Dr. Z or others can answer that. My question is if you have low arches or flat feet. Many of the patients I see have flat feet which in turn has an effect on the knees as well as the hips to lower back.

Sometimes, we compensate for the pain by walking a different way. That could cause stress on those areas as well. If that is what's happening, I think the orthotics will help align everything and there is a good chance the pain will decrease or go away all together.

Good luck with the new orthotics.
Richard

Jo Anne T. on 4/27/01 at 06:30 (045933)

Thank you so much for your response. I had another person mention the compensation idea. Perhaps. What about the ice and for how long? I've not be faithful because it's just uncomfortable. Duh....but so are my feet!!!

Richard, C.Ped on 4/27/01 at 08:11 (045945)

Hi again Jo Anne,
I am not sure about the ice question. From what I have read, everyone has different ways of doing so. Hopefully, you will get a response from the posters on how they ice. You may also want to look up 'icing' using the search function.

Good luck, and you have a wonderful Friday as well!!
Richard

Re: Icing question...

Valerie S on 4/27/01 at hrmin (045989)

Hi Jo Anne.

I am no expert by any means, but can tell you what has worked out well for me. I was told to ice, and I would once in awhile but I hated it so much! Until one day, in Physical Therapy, my PT got out these HUGE cold gel packs and wrapped my feet in them and then wrapped an ace wrap around my feet, surrounding them in icy cold gel...

... it felt so good, Jo Anne! I went to the pharmacy and got 2 different gel packs. One looks like a giant Bandaid (Bandaid Brand Cold Pack) and has a pocket for the gel pack... I wrap this one around my foot when I go to bed (inside my night splint). The other one was the biggest one I could find... ACE Brand large cold compress. I like to use this one because I can get it around my foot, and use ACE wrap to compress it around my arch and the back of my ankle. Then I prop my foot up on a big fuzzy pillow for about 20 minutes, or until it starts to feel warm or numb. I have found that the gel pack itself provides just the right amount of insulation against the ice... some people use a cloth for insulation.

I guess you just need to find what is right for you. Read the PF Book for lots of pointers. I hated ice, until I tried the gel packs. There is nothing like it for me...

Good luck to you, Jo Anne...

Val.

Jo Anne T on 4/27/01 at 15:18 (046001)

Thank you Valerie. I will go this afternoon and find these gel packs. By the way, could you tell they were helping? like, how long before you noticed a difference? It has to help, cause it sure can't make them worse.

Jo Anne

Valerie S on 4/28/01 at hrmin (046045)

Hi Jo Anne.

Yes, I can definitely tell the gel packs are working. I think the relief is temporary, but any relief is relief, right?

I think it might be because of the way the gel packs mold to my foot and can be used as compression, in combination with the ACE wrap. It's the R.I.C.E. formula: Rest Ice Compression Elevation. It helps bring down the inflammation. My PT told me it's very important to stretch after icing though, because the ice tends to make everything contract. This is one reason that I have found the night splint and the ice pack to be a great combination... Ice & Stretch while I sleep! hee hee.

I get relief every time I use the gel packs. Like I said it's a temporary relief... you have to keep doing it again and again. But I notice a difference within a few minutes, as soon as the initial shock of the cold is over... I have been slowly feeling better; the ice has been a factor in my recovery. I use the ice when I overdo it, or whenever I can when I have pain. It feels so good... I hope you can find relief too.

Good luck, Jo Anne. Let me know how it works out for you. If it helps you feel better for even a few minutes, it's worth it.

Take care...Val.

Kay S on 4/28/01 at 09:39 (046058)

Hi Valerie
I'm glad you are making progress in the right direction. I had a question for you to ask your PT about icing and stretching right afterwards. A few months ago, someone wrote about NOT stretching or walking right away after icing because there could be a potential for injury under those circumstances. Would you ask your PT to explain this? I know things change from time to time, and even being a nurse isn't helping me with this one.
Thanks in advance.
Kay

Julie on 4/28/01 at 09:44 (046059)

Kay, I'm sure Val will come back to us with whatever her PT says, but as a general rule there is the potential for injury when a cold muscle is stretched.

Valerie S on 4/28/01 at hrmin (046114)

Hey...I'm not in PT anymore.
He did tell me to stretch after icing, but to do it gently... I don't have a better answer... I defer to Julie and Lori.
I'm sorry for any misinformation that I may have passed on.
Forgive me.

How about the ice combined with the night splint though? The nice splint has that... I assume it's ok to stretch and ice at the same time?? Now I am confused...

Sorry... Thanks... Val.

ellen on 4/30/01 at 15:08 (046250)

Hi Joann,

I hate icing too, but when my feet are really bad I find it helps. Some people use gel packs, I find actual ice more effective. I fill a dishpan full of ice and just enough water to cover, prop it up so that it's tilted (so it's easier to keep by toes out and my heel in) and watch tv for 10 to 15 minutes. Sometimes I have to keep dunking my foot in and out. Other people have recommended freezing water in a cup, then you can rub the ice over your heel or painful areas while the cup keeps your fingers from freezing, and you peel down the edges of cup as the ice melts. Scott's PF Book has a section on icing that you might want to read.

JudyS on 4/30/01 at 15:13 (046252)

The easiest and neatest way to ice is to go to the pharmacy and get two wrap around gel packs with velcroed straps. They're a cinch to use and well worth the purchase.

Richard, C.Ped on 4/26/01 at 20:57 (045909)

Hi Jo Anne,
I am not sure about the calcium deposits. Dr. Z or others can answer that. My question is if you have low arches or flat feet. Many of the patients I see have flat feet which in turn has an effect on the knees as well as the hips to lower back.

Sometimes, we compensate for the pain by walking a different way. That could cause stress on those areas as well. If that is what's happening, I think the orthotics will help align everything and there is a good chance the pain will decrease or go away all together.

Good luck with the new orthotics.
Richard

Jo Anne T. on 4/27/01 at 06:30 (045933)

Thank you so much for your response. I had another person mention the compensation idea. Perhaps. What about the ice and for how long? I've not be faithful because it's just uncomfortable. Duh....but so are my feet!!!

Richard, C.Ped on 4/27/01 at 08:11 (045945)

Hi again Jo Anne,
I am not sure about the ice question. From what I have read, everyone has different ways of doing so. Hopefully, you will get a response from the posters on how they ice. You may also want to look up 'icing' using the search function.

Good luck, and you have a wonderful Friday as well!!
Richard

Valerie S on 4/27/01 at hrmin (045989)

Hi Jo Anne.

I am no expert by any means, but can tell you what has worked out well for me. I was told to ice, and I would once in awhile but I hated it so much! Until one day, in Physical Therapy, my PT got out these HUGE cold gel packs and wrapped my feet in them and then wrapped an ace wrap around my feet, surrounding them in icy cold gel...

... it felt so good, Jo Anne! I went to the pharmacy and got 2 different gel packs. One looks like a giant Bandaid (Bandaid Brand Cold Pack) and has a pocket for the gel pack... I wrap this one around my foot when I go to bed (inside my night splint). The other one was the biggest one I could find... ACE Brand large cold compress. I like to use this one because I can get it around my foot, and use ACE wrap to compress it around my arch and the back of my ankle. Then I prop my foot up on a big fuzzy pillow for about 20 minutes, or until it starts to feel warm or numb. I have found that the gel pack itself provides just the right amount of insulation against the ice... some people use a cloth for insulation.

I guess you just need to find what is right for you. Read the PF Book for lots of pointers. I hated ice, until I tried the gel packs. There is nothing like it for me...

Good luck to you, Jo Anne...

Val.

Jo Anne T on 4/27/01 at 15:18 (046001)

Thank you Valerie. I will go this afternoon and find these gel packs. By the way, could you tell they were helping? like, how long before you noticed a difference? It has to help, cause it sure can't make them worse.

Jo Anne

Valerie S on 4/28/01 at hrmin (046045)

Hi Jo Anne.

Yes, I can definitely tell the gel packs are working. I think the relief is temporary, but any relief is relief, right?

I think it might be because of the way the gel packs mold to my foot and can be used as compression, in combination with the ACE wrap. It's the R.I.C.E. formula: Rest Ice Compression Elevation. It helps bring down the inflammation. My PT told me it's very important to stretch after icing though, because the ice tends to make everything contract. This is one reason that I have found the night splint and the ice pack to be a great combination... Ice & Stretch while I sleep! hee hee.

I get relief every time I use the gel packs. Like I said it's a temporary relief... you have to keep doing it again and again. But I notice a difference within a few minutes, as soon as the initial shock of the cold is over... I have been slowly feeling better; the ice has been a factor in my recovery. I use the ice when I overdo it, or whenever I can when I have pain. It feels so good... I hope you can find relief too.

Good luck, Jo Anne. Let me know how it works out for you. If it helps you feel better for even a few minutes, it's worth it.

Take care...Val.

Kay S on 4/28/01 at 09:39 (046058)

Hi Valerie
I'm glad you are making progress in the right direction. I had a question for you to ask your PT about icing and stretching right afterwards. A few months ago, someone wrote about NOT stretching or walking right away after icing because there could be a potential for injury under those circumstances. Would you ask your PT to explain this? I know things change from time to time, and even being a nurse isn't helping me with this one.
Thanks in advance.
Kay

Julie on 4/28/01 at 09:44 (046059)

Kay, I'm sure Val will come back to us with whatever her PT says, but as a general rule there is the potential for injury when a cold muscle is stretched.

Valerie S on 4/28/01 at hrmin (046114)

Hey...I'm not in PT anymore.
He did tell me to stretch after icing, but to do it gently... I don't have a better answer... I defer to Julie and Lori.
I'm sorry for any misinformation that I may have passed on.
Forgive me.

How about the ice combined with the night splint though? The nice splint has that... I assume it's ok to stretch and ice at the same time?? Now I am confused...

Sorry... Thanks... Val.

ellen on 4/30/01 at 15:08 (046250)

Hi Joann,

I hate icing too, but when my feet are really bad I find it helps. Some people use gel packs, I find actual ice more effective. I fill a dishpan full of ice and just enough water to cover, prop it up so that it's tilted (so it's easier to keep by toes out and my heel in) and watch tv for 10 to 15 minutes. Sometimes I have to keep dunking my foot in and out. Other people have recommended freezing water in a cup, then you can rub the ice over your heel or painful areas while the cup keeps your fingers from freezing, and you peel down the edges of cup as the ice melts. Scott's PF Book has a section on icing that you might want to read.

JudyS on 4/30/01 at 15:13 (046252)

The easiest and neatest way to ice is to go to the pharmacy and get two wrap around gel packs with velcroed straps. They're a cinch to use and well worth the purchase.