Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot arthritis and stress fractures

Posted by S Drager on 4/26/01 at hrmin (045902)

Hi. My current x-rays show a thickening of the diaphysis second metatarsal, flattening of the second metatarsal heads, and show osteopyhtes at the ends of the flattened heads. The only injury that I've had to my feet were stress fractures. Those have been recurrent, but the doctor I saw, orthopedist, said that the stress fractures had not caused the arthritis. I find this hard to believe, as any changes are in the second metatarsals bilaterally. (I just turned 34, and the current x-rays show no changes from the first diagnosis in 1998.)

Opinion?

This doctor also told me that my severe plantar pain and radiation/numbness/tingling on the top of both feet was 'unique to this patient.' I need some help. I'm not making this pain up. I'm getting to the point where I can barely walk at all. I live in a rural area, so I don't have a lot of access to other physicians. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!

Re: Foot arthritis and stress fractures

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/26/01 at 20:57 (045907)

This sounds like a Frieberg disease condition. This is a lack of blood supply to the joint of the second metatarsal head. This could be from the stress fracture or from the biomechanics of your foot. The first metatarsal bone is short and all of the weight is placed on the second met ray. They call this a morten foot. Is the radiation/numbness/tinging in both feet. Have you had an evaluation of your lower back. Any injury to your lower back. May need to have a nerve conduction testing . May need to have a complete arthritic panel evaluation. I would need to see you walk and evaluation the entire joints and their range of motion to continue giving my opinon. So this is about as far I can go at this point in time.

S. Drager on 4/27/01 at hrmin (045964)

Thanks so much Dr. Z. I appreciate and value your advice. I had heard of Freidberg's and thought that might be a cause as well.

I do have disc protrusions at L4/L5 and L5/S1, (DDD),this is a different type of pain than I have with sciatica, but it is a plausible explanation.

What would a full arthritis panel/exam entail?

I have severe lateral wear on my shoes of both feet. The numbness is more on the top of the left foot, but both feet are very painful on the plantar apsects. The second toes of both feet are excruciating at times.

I'll do more research into Freidberg's.

AGAIN,THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING ME AND FOR TAKING YOUR TIME FOR ALL US ON THE BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzanne

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/26/01 at 20:57 (045907)

This sounds like a Frieberg disease condition. This is a lack of blood supply to the joint of the second metatarsal head. This could be from the stress fracture or from the biomechanics of your foot. The first metatarsal bone is short and all of the weight is placed on the second met ray. They call this a morten foot. Is the radiation/numbness/tinging in both feet. Have you had an evaluation of your lower back. Any injury to your lower back. May need to have a nerve conduction testing . May need to have a complete arthritic panel evaluation. I would need to see you walk and evaluation the entire joints and their range of motion to continue giving my opinon. So this is about as far I can go at this point in time.

S. Drager on 4/27/01 at hrmin (045964)

Thanks so much Dr. Z. I appreciate and value your advice. I had heard of Freidberg's and thought that might be a cause as well.

I do have disc protrusions at L4/L5 and L5/S1, (DDD),this is a different type of pain than I have with sciatica, but it is a plausible explanation.

What would a full arthritis panel/exam entail?

I have severe lateral wear on my shoes of both feet. The numbness is more on the top of the left foot, but both feet are very painful on the plantar apsects. The second toes of both feet are excruciating at times.

I'll do more research into Freidberg's.

AGAIN,THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING ME AND FOR TAKING YOUR TIME FOR ALL US ON THE BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzanne