Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery yesterday

Posted by Kevin M on 4/27/01 at hrmin (045947)

I had surgery on both feet yesterday to remove excess bone(like a big bone spur)There was a 2 in incision on both feet. I have been trying to stay off my feet, but there is blood soaking through the bandages and through the Ace Bandage on back. Is this normal? also, should I just try to walk normal and use the crutches to help or sould I just try to push off and keep my feet off the gound? Thanks.

Re: Surgery yesterday

john h on 4/27/01 at 11:41 (045970)

kevin buddy: need to check with your doc but i would not be getting out of bed except to go to the bathroom for a while. when i had the cheilectomy on my toe i bleed through the bandages. i would keep the feet elevated and ice (check with the doc). crutches are tough enough with one foot but with two i do not know how you do it.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/27/01 at 12:32 (045980)

Call your doc. A walker maybe needed. Very typical for bleeding for the next day or two. I like my patients to give me a call if they are even the least bit concerned. Always cry wolf because this isn't little red riding hood we are talking about this is your foot (feet for you)

BrianG on 4/27/01 at 21:29 (046037)

Hey Kevin,

I hope you have family that can take care of you for these next few days. Hows the pain, are you taking anti-biotics? Just wondering whose idea it was to do both feet? Don't think I could pull it off. Good luck to you.

BCG

Kevin M on 4/29/01 at hrmin (046149)

yes, my family is here and they are taking good care of me. It is kidna painful, mostly when I try to get around. ITs basically like having two pretty bad sprianed ankles, then adding to that 2 deep 2 inch cuts on both feet with stitches. But I can still get around pretty, I can walk a little too. I'm taking pain killers, but no anti-botics. It was easier to do both feet at the same time. I had to be face down for the surgery, so it was hard to get me positioned right. There is alway a risk in surgery and to do it twice is even more of a risk. Its the 3rd time I've had surgery in a year, so that is another reason to just do it once. Thanks

Kevin M on 4/29/01 at hrmin (046150)

I went to the doc and they changed the bandages. They said it is common for it to bleed. There hasn't been too much bleeding in the past few days. I'm trying to keep them elevated as much as possible. thanks

Kevin M on 4/29/01 at hrmin (046151)

I went to the doc and they changed the bandages and everything. There really hasn;t been too much bleeding lately. I can kinda walk a little bit, but I try not too. Its going to be tough at school, but I'll manage. Thanks.

BrianG on 4/29/01 at 11:39 (046159)

Hi Kevin,

Your the high school hockey player right? Was this surgery necessary because your skates didn't fit correctly? I seem to remember something about that. I know you guys are tough bastar**, but isn't this enough? Are you going to continue to skate? Unless your a world class athlete, is it really worth it? Good luck on the healing.

BCG

Kevin M on 4/29/01 at hrmin (046206)

Yeah, I'm a senior, I will being starting college this summer. It wasn't that they didn't fit right, its just the constant rubbing causes it to happen. Yeah, We are pretty tough guys. At the beginning of the season I broke my arm, so I had surgery on that. Than I've had a bad shoulder. Not too much power in the right one and not much range of motion. So its been a tough year. I am going to continue to play contact for atleast another 4 years. It is the only sport that I really play and its a real energy release. Its a fun sport, just not fun when your hurt! Thanks

john h on 4/27/01 at 11:41 (045970)

kevin buddy: need to check with your doc but i would not be getting out of bed except to go to the bathroom for a while. when i had the cheilectomy on my toe i bleed through the bandages. i would keep the feet elevated and ice (check with the doc). crutches are tough enough with one foot but with two i do not know how you do it.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/27/01 at 12:32 (045980)

Call your doc. A walker maybe needed. Very typical for bleeding for the next day or two. I like my patients to give me a call if they are even the least bit concerned. Always cry wolf because this isn't little red riding hood we are talking about this is your foot (feet for you)

BrianG on 4/27/01 at 21:29 (046037)

Hey Kevin,

I hope you have family that can take care of you for these next few days. Hows the pain, are you taking anti-biotics? Just wondering whose idea it was to do both feet? Don't think I could pull it off. Good luck to you.

BCG

Kevin M on 4/29/01 at hrmin (046149)

yes, my family is here and they are taking good care of me. It is kidna painful, mostly when I try to get around. ITs basically like having two pretty bad sprianed ankles, then adding to that 2 deep 2 inch cuts on both feet with stitches. But I can still get around pretty, I can walk a little too. I'm taking pain killers, but no anti-botics. It was easier to do both feet at the same time. I had to be face down for the surgery, so it was hard to get me positioned right. There is alway a risk in surgery and to do it twice is even more of a risk. Its the 3rd time I've had surgery in a year, so that is another reason to just do it once. Thanks

Kevin M on 4/29/01 at hrmin (046150)

I went to the doc and they changed the bandages. They said it is common for it to bleed. There hasn't been too much bleeding in the past few days. I'm trying to keep them elevated as much as possible. thanks

Kevin M on 4/29/01 at hrmin (046151)

I went to the doc and they changed the bandages and everything. There really hasn;t been too much bleeding lately. I can kinda walk a little bit, but I try not too. Its going to be tough at school, but I'll manage. Thanks.

BrianG on 4/29/01 at 11:39 (046159)

Hi Kevin,

Your the high school hockey player right? Was this surgery necessary because your skates didn't fit correctly? I seem to remember something about that. I know you guys are tough bastar**, but isn't this enough? Are you going to continue to skate? Unless your a world class athlete, is it really worth it? Good luck on the healing.

BCG

Kevin M on 4/29/01 at hrmin (046206)

Yeah, I'm a senior, I will being starting college this summer. It wasn't that they didn't fit right, its just the constant rubbing causes it to happen. Yeah, We are pretty tough guys. At the beginning of the season I broke my arm, so I had surgery on that. Than I've had a bad shoulder. Not too much power in the right one and not much range of motion. So its been a tough year. I am going to continue to play contact for atleast another 4 years. It is the only sport that I really play and its a real energy release. Its a fun sport, just not fun when your hurt! Thanks