Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shattered heel surgery

Posted by Lynne D. on 4/27/01 at 11:44 (045971)

My husband had surgery for a shattered heel 5 wks. ago. We're wondering what is the average recovery time for this surgery, so far the foot is recovering well. He can not apply weight for 3 mos., after that how long is the average time he will have to use crutches after weight on foot is allowed. Also what is the success rate on this surgery. He is 54 yrs. old and in good physical health and active.

Re: Shattered heel surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/27/01 at 11:58 (045973)

So the heel was broken. I would need to know more about the joint damage if any and exactly how this happened. Sorry but this is so injury specific that tough answer to give you. Sorry about that

Lynne D. on 4/27/01 at 12:07 (045975)

His surgery was as follows, they reinforced the existing heel (what was left) with artificial bone and reinforced the ankle. He fell from a ladder. The heel was in fragments and was screwed to the artificial bone.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/27/01 at 14:12 (045994)

I wish that I could you the sucess rate but when you are dealing with a injury this severe you just have to watch his progress and see how he is doing. I am not trying to avoid the question. He can still beable to walk again . His age is on his side. Just how back the ankle joint and the subtalar joint were damage is going to determine his ability to bent the foot and ankle. In my training years ago we didn't have the technology that your husband has available . The treatment was pin the heel to distract the joints and get them walking and hope and pray . So I hope that this helpful.

Lynne D. on 4/27/01 at 19:25 (046019)

Dr. Z., Thankyou, your answers have been most helpful and I will pass the information on to my husband. Lynne D.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/27/01 at 11:58 (045973)

So the heel was broken. I would need to know more about the joint damage if any and exactly how this happened. Sorry but this is so injury specific that tough answer to give you. Sorry about that

Lynne D. on 4/27/01 at 12:07 (045975)

His surgery was as follows, they reinforced the existing heel (what was left) with artificial bone and reinforced the ankle. He fell from a ladder. The heel was in fragments and was screwed to the artificial bone.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/27/01 at 14:12 (045994)

I wish that I could you the sucess rate but when you are dealing with a injury this severe you just have to watch his progress and see how he is doing. I am not trying to avoid the question. He can still beable to walk again . His age is on his side. Just how back the ankle joint and the subtalar joint were damage is going to determine his ability to bent the foot and ankle. In my training years ago we didn't have the technology that your husband has available . The treatment was pin the heel to distract the joints and get them walking and hope and pray . So I hope that this helpful.

Lynne D. on 4/27/01 at 19:25 (046019)

Dr. Z., Thankyou, your answers have been most helpful and I will pass the information on to my husband. Lynne D.