Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I just got my new orthotic

Posted by Tammie on 4/27/01 at hrmin (046026)

Today I got my new orthotics, The dr. put them in my shoe I have a dmx reebok and a pnemotic cast on other foot which she put the orthotic in there to. It actually felt good in the foot with the shoe, my foot didnt roll like it normally does. But the one in the walking cast hurtsssss. I have to wear the cast till the swelling is down,she said and she wants me to start with a hour first day 2 hours the second day etc. increasing by one hour each day till can wear them whenever up and standing and then never go barefoot again. Seems extreem? It really hurts my foot that just had surgery 10 days ago is there something I can do to make it more comfortable? The other one seems ok so far. Any suggestions would be appreciated.They have like a vinyl covering on them and a like a hard plastic? I am not sure about this as I have never used any thing on my feet and am flatfooted .Thanks so much for any help.

Re: I just got my new orthotic/excuse me ? Any advice?

Tammie on 4/29/01 at 15:24 (046178)

I have had the orthodics for 3 days now, I notice I have a blister on the good foot on my toe, on top of it? Is there something I should be doing that I am forgetting. My foot in the cast with the new orthotic is not to bad but am noticing more arch discomfort,I thought they said wear all the time for that one do u think I mis understood? Paper says whenever up and on feet to insert orthodic in cast, and then goes on to say later 1 hr for orthotics first day 2 second,3 third and refers to the good foot for that? Sorry I just am kinda lacking in the foot area smarts lol. I am a slowwwwww learner here. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance if someone sees this !!!!

Valerie S on 4/29/01 at hrmin (046209)

Hi Tammie

Orthotics take time to get used to for most people. Sorry to hear you're getting a blister. Is the orthotic making your foot rub on your shoe differently? Are These are new shoes too? Different socks or maybe a bandaid on your toe will help make it bearable ... I might call the doctor and ask him, if it keeps bothering you.

As far as wearing the orthotic on your surgery foot AND on your good foot, follow the advice on the paper they gave you... you build up to wearing them all the time. I think the general rule is to wear them only as long as you can... It sounds like your doctor is suggesting you increase your time with the orthotic by an hour each day. If you are going to be on your feet for longer than the time you are 'supposed' to wear the orthotic and it starts to bother your foot, then take it out. If you are just getting up and down, then put the orthotic in whenever you get up....

Call your doctor's office. The nurse should be able to advise you with the specifics... let them know what is bothering you. They will have all the answers...

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.
Val.

Re: I called and they said to cut out of my shoe the arch pad????

Tammie on 4/30/01 at 08:34 (046220)

I called and they said I may have to cut out the arch pad in the shoe as maybe to thick? I am not sure what she meant by that. She also told me to try a old pair of shoes not a newer pair, she said as soon as I can fit my foot in a shoe to take off the boot and put foot in shoe with the orthodic and she does not want me to be in shoe without the orthodic.She felt to that I might need to try a different sock or shoe. But told me to wear heavy sock on surgery foot,to protect it. that should look cute then 2 different socks? wow a fashion statement.I have a pair of adidas shoes which are a bit larger more room but they also feel a bit stiffer I will try them. Now what does she mean by the arch pad ? she said it might be to full at first i thought she meant trim the orthodotic but I dont think so , I think she meant the shoe inside? God I feel stupid lol I have had just store ones before lol thease are different all right. I guard them like gold as they sure cost enough . The dog and cat better leave them be as they seem interested in them lol. thanks Val for the help I can always count on u!!!! Lol This heel sister will learn the ropes soon if I keep coming here! Hugs to u!

Valerie S on 4/30/01 at hrmin (046223)

Hi Tammy.

It sounds like she is telling you to remove the insole that comes in the shoe. If you stick your hand inside the shoes and pull on the bottom of the inside of the shoe, you should be able to pull the cushion out of the shoes. A lot of times they are glued in to the shoes, so you might have to pull on it a little bit. Just think of your orthotic as a replacement for the cushion in your shoe. I hope this makes sense.

If you are wearing a heavy sock on your surgery foot, you can wear one on your good foot, I would think.

Good luck.
Val.

Donna SL on 5/02/01 at 01:09 (046396)

Hi Tammie,

If you have a shoe with a glued in insole in a sneaker you can usually loosen the glue with a blow dryer. If you manage to get a little bit of the insole up with your hands just keep applying the heat from the blow dryer underneath, and the glue will loosen up, and it will be easier to remove the insole. (A little trick my pod taught me).

If your orthotics don't have a full length top cover on ask them to cover them with full length piece of spenco (preferably 1/8', or 1 /16' thickness if you need a lot more room). This won't take up very much room, and will provide you with more comfort. Otherwise you may feel the edge more when the forefoot cushion part of the shoe is removed.

Donna

Tammie on 4/29/01 at 15:24 (046178)

I have had the orthodics for 3 days now, I notice I have a blister on the good foot on my toe, on top of it? Is there something I should be doing that I am forgetting. My foot in the cast with the new orthotic is not to bad but am noticing more arch discomfort,I thought they said wear all the time for that one do u think I mis understood? Paper says whenever up and on feet to insert orthodic in cast, and then goes on to say later 1 hr for orthotics first day 2 second,3 third and refers to the good foot for that? Sorry I just am kinda lacking in the foot area smarts lol. I am a slowwwwww learner here. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance if someone sees this !!!!

Valerie S on 4/29/01 at hrmin (046209)

Hi Tammie

Orthotics take time to get used to for most people. Sorry to hear you're getting a blister. Is the orthotic making your foot rub on your shoe differently? Are These are new shoes too? Different socks or maybe a bandaid on your toe will help make it bearable ... I might call the doctor and ask him, if it keeps bothering you.

As far as wearing the orthotic on your surgery foot AND on your good foot, follow the advice on the paper they gave you... you build up to wearing them all the time. I think the general rule is to wear them only as long as you can... It sounds like your doctor is suggesting you increase your time with the orthotic by an hour each day. If you are going to be on your feet for longer than the time you are 'supposed' to wear the orthotic and it starts to bother your foot, then take it out. If you are just getting up and down, then put the orthotic in whenever you get up....

Call your doctor's office. The nurse should be able to advise you with the specifics... let them know what is bothering you. They will have all the answers...

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.
Val.

Tammie on 4/30/01 at 08:34 (046220)

I called and they said I may have to cut out the arch pad in the shoe as maybe to thick? I am not sure what she meant by that. She also told me to try a old pair of shoes not a newer pair, she said as soon as I can fit my foot in a shoe to take off the boot and put foot in shoe with the orthodic and she does not want me to be in shoe without the orthodic.She felt to that I might need to try a different sock or shoe. But told me to wear heavy sock on surgery foot,to protect it. that should look cute then 2 different socks? wow a fashion statement.I have a pair of adidas shoes which are a bit larger more room but they also feel a bit stiffer I will try them. Now what does she mean by the arch pad ? she said it might be to full at first i thought she meant trim the orthodotic but I dont think so , I think she meant the shoe inside? God I feel stupid lol I have had just store ones before lol thease are different all right. I guard them like gold as they sure cost enough . The dog and cat better leave them be as they seem interested in them lol. thanks Val for the help I can always count on u!!!! Lol This heel sister will learn the ropes soon if I keep coming here! Hugs to u!

Valerie S on 4/30/01 at hrmin (046223)

Hi Tammy.

It sounds like she is telling you to remove the insole that comes in the shoe. If you stick your hand inside the shoes and pull on the bottom of the inside of the shoe, you should be able to pull the cushion out of the shoes. A lot of times they are glued in to the shoes, so you might have to pull on it a little bit. Just think of your orthotic as a replacement for the cushion in your shoe. I hope this makes sense.

If you are wearing a heavy sock on your surgery foot, you can wear one on your good foot, I would think.

Good luck.
Val.

Donna SL on 5/02/01 at 01:09 (046396)

Hi Tammie,

If you have a shoe with a glued in insole in a sneaker you can usually loosen the glue with a blow dryer. If you manage to get a little bit of the insole up with your hands just keep applying the heat from the blow dryer underneath, and the glue will loosen up, and it will be easier to remove the insole. (A little trick my pod taught me).

If your orthotics don't have a full length top cover on ask them to cover them with full length piece of spenco (preferably 1/8', or 1 /16' thickness if you need a lot more room). This won't take up very much room, and will provide you with more comfort. Otherwise you may feel the edge more when the forefoot cushion part of the shoe is removed.

Donna