Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

And yet a bigger shoe. Will loosing weight slow arch collapse?

Posted by Beverly on 4/28/01 at 14:30 (046077)

I had to get bigger athletic shoes because I am in an ankle brace for PTT. But even before that, over the last couple of weeks, I felt like my toes were starting to hit the edge of the shoe. This is incredible to me because when I bought them early this Fall, I had to wear super thick socks because they felt big. I understand going up a size for the ankle brace, but it seems I would have needed to go up at least 1/2 even without the brace.
Last Spring when I first got PF, I wore a Birk size 40. Now, the 41 is more comfortable.
To look at my arches, they look normal. I don't have flat feet.
I never go barefooted. I always either wear Birks, Danskos, or athletic shoes with Spenco arch supports. I've tried 2 custom sets but no success yet. They always end up digging into my arches, even after adjustments. The Birks feel good.
This may be irrational, but I have this fear my feet are just going to keep getting bigger! When anyone looks at my feet, they can't believe I wear such a big size. They don't look that big.
One question I have is if I loose weight will that help slow down arch collapse? I would benefit from loosing 20-30 lbs. I've lost about 7 since Christmas.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Beverly, How is your Achilles tendonitis doing?

Sherrie M. on 4/28/01 at 19:11 (046092)

Hi Beverly, I've been thinking of you alot lately. When you posted a while ago about your achilles tendon irritating you, I too started with this bothersome irritation. My pt gave me heel lifts- I put them under my orthotics in my tennis shoes, but some days if I try to walk around a bit more than usual the inflammation starts up and I ice it. When I go for physical therapy they put a heat pack under my leg for about 15 minutes before they do therapy and stretching, that helps.Well that's my story, how are you? Sherrie

bg cped on 4/29/01 at 09:01 (046141)

Yout feet can increase in size for different reasons, wt gain is one. Also in the shoe if your ankle brace is large and or thick behind the heel that can drive your foot forward slightly.

You said your orthotics dig into your arch? If you have a very pronated foot, with post tib tendon problems you may need a different orthotic, or have it modified. I see several per month with a hard plastic 3/4 length device that is trying to control foot with mostly support under the arch. Many feet like yours need a heel post with a little lift (about 1/8 inch) to control rear foot, and reduce influence of many times tight heel cord.

The forefott also needs some posting as well. If you just heat and lower arch rather than increase posting your foot will most likely continue to pronate into the device. Also has the person that made your orthotics went over proper footwear and break-in? That is also very important. Make sure you wear a good sturdy motion control shoe, try a new balance 853 or 810, go to a good store that sells running shoes and ask for a heavy motion control shoe.

Not to be a chauvanist but many times I see women that have feet that are in very bad shape and they try to get orthotics to work in everything from high heels, to flimsy easy spirits. You need a firm and stable foundation for your orthotics to work the best. It is not just a case of getting a shoe that you can fit your foot and your orthotic in.

Having those orthotics fixed and getting a havy duty shoe (if you dont have one already) will feel strange at first but wear them 1 hour first day 2 hour second day, and so on. If you are not happy with the person that made your orthotics, give them another chance or ask the board for a new person. Some cases there are what we call in the back room 'the princess and the pea syndrome' but it is a reasonable expectation to not have them digging into your arch.....good luck, and no charge for this one

Beverly on 4/29/01 at 13:36 (046169)

Thankyou, Sherrie and bgped,

Sherrie, my achilles tendon seems a little better. Still hurts achilles to do my usual PF stretches; so taking a break from them. My primary problem continues to be PTT, followed by PF. The good thing I can say is that my PF is not nearly as bad as it was many months ago. It is my ankle that lags so far behind with this PTT.

A note of humor... You should have seen me this morning going to church in a long skirt with this ankle brace! I am a clothes horse and was determined to wear good clothes this morning. Fortunately, I have several long ankle length broomstick skirts. The skirt hid most of my footgear!

Yes, bgped, I have run the gamut with 'healthy' footwear. Nothing touches these tootsies but Birks, quality athletic wear, Dansko's, and Mephesto's. Needless to say, I've spent a small fortune on shoes over the last year. (I gave away all my high heels.)

I am in a different city now, and so I don't have access to the orthodist who made my last orthodics. They were soft. I will probably give orthodics at least one more try. I prefer the full length kind whether custom or otc.

What you said about forefront support is so true. That is one reason my Birks feel better than any other shoe. Their footbed give my forefeet enough support that they rarely hurt. When I say Birks, I mean the classic footbed.
Thank you,
Beverly

Sherrie M. on 4/28/01 at 19:11 (046092)

Hi Beverly, I've been thinking of you alot lately. When you posted a while ago about your achilles tendon irritating you, I too started with this bothersome irritation. My pt gave me heel lifts- I put them under my orthotics in my tennis shoes, but some days if I try to walk around a bit more than usual the inflammation starts up and I ice it. When I go for physical therapy they put a heat pack under my leg for about 15 minutes before they do therapy and stretching, that helps.Well that's my story, how are you? Sherrie

bg cped on 4/29/01 at 09:01 (046141)

Yout feet can increase in size for different reasons, wt gain is one. Also in the shoe if your ankle brace is large and or thick behind the heel that can drive your foot forward slightly.

You said your orthotics dig into your arch? If you have a very pronated foot, with post tib tendon problems you may need a different orthotic, or have it modified. I see several per month with a hard plastic 3/4 length device that is trying to control foot with mostly support under the arch. Many feet like yours need a heel post with a little lift (about 1/8 inch) to control rear foot, and reduce influence of many times tight heel cord.

The forefott also needs some posting as well. If you just heat and lower arch rather than increase posting your foot will most likely continue to pronate into the device. Also has the person that made your orthotics went over proper footwear and break-in? That is also very important. Make sure you wear a good sturdy motion control shoe, try a new balance 853 or 810, go to a good store that sells running shoes and ask for a heavy motion control shoe.

Not to be a chauvanist but many times I see women that have feet that are in very bad shape and they try to get orthotics to work in everything from high heels, to flimsy easy spirits. You need a firm and stable foundation for your orthotics to work the best. It is not just a case of getting a shoe that you can fit your foot and your orthotic in.

Having those orthotics fixed and getting a havy duty shoe (if you dont have one already) will feel strange at first but wear them 1 hour first day 2 hour second day, and so on. If you are not happy with the person that made your orthotics, give them another chance or ask the board for a new person. Some cases there are what we call in the back room 'the princess and the pea syndrome' but it is a reasonable expectation to not have them digging into your arch.....good luck, and no charge for this one

Beverly on 4/29/01 at 13:36 (046169)

Thankyou, Sherrie and bgped,

Sherrie, my achilles tendon seems a little better. Still hurts achilles to do my usual PF stretches; so taking a break from them. My primary problem continues to be PTT, followed by PF. The good thing I can say is that my PF is not nearly as bad as it was many months ago. It is my ankle that lags so far behind with this PTT.

A note of humor... You should have seen me this morning going to church in a long skirt with this ankle brace! I am a clothes horse and was determined to wear good clothes this morning. Fortunately, I have several long ankle length broomstick skirts. The skirt hid most of my footgear!

Yes, bgped, I have run the gamut with 'healthy' footwear. Nothing touches these tootsies but Birks, quality athletic wear, Dansko's, and Mephesto's. Needless to say, I've spent a small fortune on shoes over the last year. (I gave away all my high heels.)

I am in a different city now, and so I don't have access to the orthodist who made my last orthodics. They were soft. I will probably give orthodics at least one more try. I prefer the full length kind whether custom or otc.

What you said about forefront support is so true. That is one reason my Birks feel better than any other shoe. Their footbed give my forefeet enough support that they rarely hurt. When I say Birks, I mean the classic footbed.
Thank you,
Beverly