Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain on ankle bone and top of foot

Posted by Claudia on 4/28/01 at hrmin (046096)

Hello,
I hope you can help me with my question. My mother-in-law has been having problem with her right anklebone for a year now. She's had x-rays done and massages and what not but the pain is always there. She also takes medication for her atrities.
She had a ct scan done last week and is waiting on the outcome. If she walks for more than an hour the pain gets so bad she has to take tylenol. She's also done p.theraphy. Nothing seems to work. She's been told that it could be that her bone is used up from over time. She's 67. What do you think could be the problem, now the pain is starting to go to the top of her foot. Any info would be much appriciated.
Claudia

Re: Pain on ankle bone and top of foot

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/29/01 at 00:47 (046121)

The ankle bone is a joint just like the shoulder and hip etc. You have place your entire weight through this joint so that the foot will move when you are walking. That being said. if the joint surface is worn out or cracked then there would be poor motion within the joint. Any reason why the doctors decided on the CAT instead of an mri. An mri not only looks into the joint but looks at all of the tendons and ligaments that are around this joint and if damaged will cause ankle and foot pain.

Re: Pain on ankle bone and top of foot

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/29/01 at 00:47 (046121)

The ankle bone is a joint just like the shoulder and hip etc. You have place your entire weight through this joint so that the foot will move when you are walking. That being said. if the joint surface is worn out or cracked then there would be poor motion within the joint. Any reason why the doctors decided on the CAT instead of an mri. An mri not only looks into the joint but looks at all of the tendons and ligaments that are around this joint and if damaged will cause ankle and foot pain.