Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

new to board

Posted by Janet D. on 4/28/01 at 22:07 (046107)

Hi, I've been visiting this message board now for a couple of weeks, and had mixed feelings about having surgery done, but due to the pain I was having in my left heel, I knew that I couldn't go along much longer. Anyway, I had surgery this past Tuesday, the 24th. My podiatrist did the surgery. Basically, I didn't have too much pain on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, but today is a different story. Whereas I could put some weight on my left foot yesterday, I am now back to just putting weight on my toes. I'm wondering if it's normal to be in so much pain now. I would assume that even though I have been pretty good about being off my feet except for bathroom trips, I did a little more walking yesterday. I got crutches at the hospital, but they were a pain so I switched to using a walker which is much better. I still move very slowly though. I feel like an old lady!! My doctor put me on an anti-inflamatory and percocet, but after the first 2 days I stopped taking them because they were upsetting my stomach. I'm wondering if stopping them is why I'm having so much pain now. I see the doctor on Tuesday, but I may give him a call tomorrow if my foot is still real bad. Anyway, thanks for listening. Unfortunately, judging by others comments, it's going to take quite a while to heal.
Will check in again tomorrow night sometime.

Janet

Re: new to board

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/29/01 at 00:53 (046123)

Pain is the big foot messager that is telling you to rest, maybe time to take some of the pain pills. Give the doc a call to tell him what is going on , but until then rest. What kind of foot surgery did you have EPF,open release etc. If the foot is throbbing with rest call him now

Re: Welcome

BrianG on 4/29/01 at 11:26 (046156)

Hi JanetD,

Hi, hope your a little better today. I had pain for a good month after my surgery. I don't know if your doc mentioned it, but if you take your pain meds after eating, it'll be easier on your stomach. Percoset can also be broken in half and taken every two hours, instead of four. It's a good idea to take the pain meds around the clock for the 1st week anyways. This is a very short amount of time, and you won't have any physical discomfert when you stop. It's much easier to keep your pain under control by taking your meds on a regular basis, than trying to play catchup after your already in pain. Good luck

BCG

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/29/01 at 11:51 (046163)

That is a very important point for good continious effective pain relief. So many patients wait for the pain to come instead of taking it before the pain arrives.

Janet D. on 4/29/01 at 19:19 (046197)

Thanks for your message. I've had a better day today, but the pain seems to be returning. I'm back on my anti-inflammatory, but haven't had any percocet yet. I think I'll take one soon. I see the doctor on Tuesday, so unless I have alot more pain, I'll just wait and talk to him then. I think I'm probably over doing it a bit. Today I drove for the first time. Seeing as it was my left foot that had surgery, I'm able to drive ok. I noticed my foot was sore afterwards though. The surgery I had was a cross between EPF and open release. I only had one incision made on the side of the heel. The bone spur was filed down and the plantar fascia was cut.
Thanks to all for answering my message. Will check in again tomorrow.

Janet

Janet D on 4/29/01 at 19:21 (046198)

Thanks for the advice about taking the pills after I eat. I did that today and even though my stomach wasn't quite as upset, it seemed alot milder. I think I'll try your idea of splitting the percocet pills so that I can take it every two hours instead of 4 hrs. apart. The pain is somewhat better today. I find morning and evening to be the worst pain-wise.

Tammie on 4/30/01 at hrmin (046218)

Hi, I read your posts and I think we had the same type of surgery , I had it on April 17 . I think it sounds very similar to how I was feeling and still I have some pain but no where near what it was. I quit taking pain meds as I had a reaction to the vicaden and then they prescribed darvecet which seemed not to do a whole lot. But when I started feeling better about knowing what the pain was and why the same pain was there I felt much better lol Power of information. I have seen my dr. 2 times since surgery and they seem to think all is going well, informed me that the pain and swelling is quite normal, to remind me to ice and elevate and pain means stop listen to your body quit ignoring it . That is the hardest for me as I want cured yesterday if u know what I mean.Said it did not take 10 days to get this way so guess what is not going to be 10 days till better. I was instruted to relax and listen to my body more.And assured that figure at least 6 weeks to feel much better. Which I am the type who needs some kinda time so I can relax and not worry to much. lol I finally squeezed my shoes on this morning and am happy lol but wont keep on as still a bit swollen and feels uncomfortable, and a bit of pain so will try again tomorrow. I still have more problems at night, I dont know, if u do . Sounds as if u might be trying to do to much to lol. Driving? gee my dr. just let me drive fri. and I dont even use the left foot to drive. Hubby says they decided that together as he new once I could drive I would be tempted to overdue!!! I thought it was kinda funny they would not let me drive. And is true I have been running more then I was lol. My advice to u is if in doubt and it hurts dont do it. Ask your dr. all the little things that bother u and u will feel better knowing the answers.Have u weight bear from day 1? Every post op is so different Dr. have different things they want as I have learned from the posts here. I had a pod who did my surgery, he also was not one who takes time to answer a question, in and out in a second I got info here and from nurse, till last fri. I had his wife she is a pod to and she actually sat and talked to me and seemed to hear my worry and questions.I felt so much better knowing it is supposed to hurt as it heals but there are things to take if pain is to much. You dont have to feel unbearable pain or not sleep at night. So please call dr. if you need to and if not speak with him on Tues. I am anxious to read your posts! Good luck and isnt this board great? Allot of good advice I would never been able to do this without it!!!!!!! I was not to foot smart, but learning every day. Hope all goes well to u friend and come back and tell us how it is going.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/29/01 at 00:53 (046123)

Pain is the big foot messager that is telling you to rest, maybe time to take some of the pain pills. Give the doc a call to tell him what is going on , but until then rest. What kind of foot surgery did you have EPF,open release etc. If the foot is throbbing with rest call him now

BrianG on 4/29/01 at 11:26 (046156)

Hi JanetD,

Hi, hope your a little better today. I had pain for a good month after my surgery. I don't know if your doc mentioned it, but if you take your pain meds after eating, it'll be easier on your stomach. Percoset can also be broken in half and taken every two hours, instead of four. It's a good idea to take the pain meds around the clock for the 1st week anyways. This is a very short amount of time, and you won't have any physical discomfert when you stop. It's much easier to keep your pain under control by taking your meds on a regular basis, than trying to play catchup after your already in pain. Good luck

BCG

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/29/01 at 11:51 (046163)

That is a very important point for good continious effective pain relief. So many patients wait for the pain to come instead of taking it before the pain arrives.

Janet D. on 4/29/01 at 19:19 (046197)

Thanks for your message. I've had a better day today, but the pain seems to be returning. I'm back on my anti-inflammatory, but haven't had any percocet yet. I think I'll take one soon. I see the doctor on Tuesday, so unless I have alot more pain, I'll just wait and talk to him then. I think I'm probably over doing it a bit. Today I drove for the first time. Seeing as it was my left foot that had surgery, I'm able to drive ok. I noticed my foot was sore afterwards though. The surgery I had was a cross between EPF and open release. I only had one incision made on the side of the heel. The bone spur was filed down and the plantar fascia was cut.
Thanks to all for answering my message. Will check in again tomorrow.

Janet

Janet D on 4/29/01 at 19:21 (046198)

Thanks for the advice about taking the pills after I eat. I did that today and even though my stomach wasn't quite as upset, it seemed alot milder. I think I'll try your idea of splitting the percocet pills so that I can take it every two hours instead of 4 hrs. apart. The pain is somewhat better today. I find morning and evening to be the worst pain-wise.

Tammie on 4/30/01 at hrmin (046218)

Hi, I read your posts and I think we had the same type of surgery , I had it on April 17 . I think it sounds very similar to how I was feeling and still I have some pain but no where near what it was. I quit taking pain meds as I had a reaction to the vicaden and then they prescribed darvecet which seemed not to do a whole lot. But when I started feeling better about knowing what the pain was and why the same pain was there I felt much better lol Power of information. I have seen my dr. 2 times since surgery and they seem to think all is going well, informed me that the pain and swelling is quite normal, to remind me to ice and elevate and pain means stop listen to your body quit ignoring it . That is the hardest for me as I want cured yesterday if u know what I mean.Said it did not take 10 days to get this way so guess what is not going to be 10 days till better. I was instruted to relax and listen to my body more.And assured that figure at least 6 weeks to feel much better. Which I am the type who needs some kinda time so I can relax and not worry to much. lol I finally squeezed my shoes on this morning and am happy lol but wont keep on as still a bit swollen and feels uncomfortable, and a bit of pain so will try again tomorrow. I still have more problems at night, I dont know, if u do . Sounds as if u might be trying to do to much to lol. Driving? gee my dr. just let me drive fri. and I dont even use the left foot to drive. Hubby says they decided that together as he new once I could drive I would be tempted to overdue!!! I thought it was kinda funny they would not let me drive. And is true I have been running more then I was lol. My advice to u is if in doubt and it hurts dont do it. Ask your dr. all the little things that bother u and u will feel better knowing the answers.Have u weight bear from day 1? Every post op is so different Dr. have different things they want as I have learned from the posts here. I had a pod who did my surgery, he also was not one who takes time to answer a question, in and out in a second I got info here and from nurse, till last fri. I had his wife she is a pod to and she actually sat and talked to me and seemed to hear my worry and questions.I felt so much better knowing it is supposed to hurt as it heals but there are things to take if pain is to much. You dont have to feel unbearable pain or not sleep at night. So please call dr. if you need to and if not speak with him on Tues. I am anxious to read your posts! Good luck and isnt this board great? Allot of good advice I would never been able to do this without it!!!!!!! I was not to foot smart, but learning every day. Hope all goes well to u friend and come back and tell us how it is going.