Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FOoT Cramps with Night Splint! - ? Help ?

Posted by Valerie S on 4/29/01 at hrmin (046155)

Hi.

I have been wearing the night splint for the past few weeks (I think 3). I had trouble at first because my ankle doesn't bend as far back as the splint itself. I found that putting a gelpack wrap around my foot not only helped keep it place, but also allowed me to ice it while I slept.

I was very happy with this combination, until 2 nights ago. The last 2 nights, I have been awakened by TERRIBLE foot cramps - my toes extending upward and the whole top of my foot is so tense... I haven't changed anything from what I was doing before. I got the cramp last night about an hour after going to bed, tore off the night splint: boy could I tell the difference this morning! I didn't realize how much it was helping me with the morning pain until now...

My foot doesn't seem to be getting any more flexible. (my pod thinks I might have a bony block in my ankle, whic is probably preventing it from extending as far as the splint...) Do you think the cramp last night was just residual from the night before? Could the first one have been a fluke? I know I probably just need to give it more time, but just wonder if anyone has had this happen or if they have any solution? I want to keep wearing the night splint...

Thanks for your time.
Val.

Re: FOoT Cramps with Night Splint! - ? Help ?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/29/01 at 11:48 (046162)

If it continues then take a rest for one nite. I like heat for foot and leg cramping. You can also stretch right before you go to be. Is there any way to add some padding to the nite splint or adjust the level of dorsiflexion. Mayb try to wear it for only a few hours and then take it off. THere are alot of experience nite splint wearers on this board

JudyS on 4/29/01 at 12:06 (046164)

Yes, Valerie - I got those arch cramps also with the night splint....may I advise a bit here? You might want to rethink the use of the cold gel pack in that instance. I suspect it's icing effect would be for far too long a time if you're putting it in there and leaving it while you go to sleep. I believe the rule of thumb is that 10-15 minutes of icing is pretty much the maximum effective time and longer periods might just serve to stiffen things up. The purpose of icing is to reduce immediate inflammation/swelling - like after being on your feet for too long. Lots of folks, in fact, follow icing with a warm soak to keep things loose.
Like you, I found that putting something in the arch area of the night splint helped a lot....but I learned to make that something relatively small and soft....I ended up using a rolled-up ankle sock. Last, you may even try using the splint for shorter periods of time until your foot and leg really get used to it.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/29/01 at 11:48 (046162)

If it continues then take a rest for one nite. I like heat for foot and leg cramping. You can also stretch right before you go to be. Is there any way to add some padding to the nite splint or adjust the level of dorsiflexion. Mayb try to wear it for only a few hours and then take it off. THere are alot of experience nite splint wearers on this board

JudyS on 4/29/01 at 12:06 (046164)

Yes, Valerie - I got those arch cramps also with the night splint....may I advise a bit here? You might want to rethink the use of the cold gel pack in that instance. I suspect it's icing effect would be for far too long a time if you're putting it in there and leaving it while you go to sleep. I believe the rule of thumb is that 10-15 minutes of icing is pretty much the maximum effective time and longer periods might just serve to stiffen things up. The purpose of icing is to reduce immediate inflammation/swelling - like after being on your feet for too long. Lots of folks, in fact, follow icing with a warm soak to keep things loose.
Like you, I found that putting something in the arch area of the night splint helped a lot....but I learned to make that something relatively small and soft....I ended up using a rolled-up ankle sock. Last, you may even try using the splint for shorter periods of time until your foot and leg really get used to it.