Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel pain with no answers

Posted by SharonL on 4/29/01 at hrmin (046165)

Dear Doctor,

I have been experiencing heel pain for over a year now. I just recently went to the foot doctor. To make a long story short here what happend without alot of detail. The foot doctor sent me for a bone scan, the bone scan report said I had a stress fracture. I was placed in a fiberglass cast. The cast was uncomfortable from the get go. After a few days, the cast became pretty tight and my toes would turn purple when I stood up. I called the doctor several times. After about 2 weeks the doctor split the cast on both sides, but did not remove. The tightness and toe discoloration were still apparent. The next day, I removed the cast to find my foot blown up like a ballon with some sores on the front of my foot and back of heel. Also had some numbness and tingling. I went to the doctor the next morning. He thought I had RSD and rushed me to the surgery center to have an emergency sympathetic lumbar block. This was not pleasant. The lumbar block did nothing but made my foot feel a little bit lighter. My heel is extremely swollen and filled with what looks like blood. I went to get a second opinion and was sent for an MRI. I am still awaiting results. The problem now is that I can not walk on my heel and am still on crutches. I am very annoyed with my foot doctor and don't know who is telling me the truth. Do you have any insight? Please email me if you do. Thank you for your time.

SharonL.

Re: Heel pain with no answers

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/29/01 at 13:21 (046167)

The quick epidural nerve block is very important if there is any doubt that you have RSD. Follow up with physical therapy is a must. Increase mobility is very important. A consultation with a neurologist and or a anesthesiolgist who specializes in RDS in a must. Not unusually to not be able to place weight on your foot if in fact you do have RDS. Multiple epidural blocks are usually done with RDS not just one. AT this point a proper diagnosis more important agressive treatment if in fact you do have RSD..

Re: Heel pain with no answers

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/29/01 at 13:21 (046167)

The quick epidural nerve block is very important if there is any doubt that you have RSD. Follow up with physical therapy is a must. Increase mobility is very important. A consultation with a neurologist and or a anesthesiolgist who specializes in RDS in a must. Not unusually to not be able to place weight on your foot if in fact you do have RDS. Multiple epidural blocks are usually done with RDS not just one. AT this point a proper diagnosis more important agressive treatment if in fact you do have RSD..