Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

10 day post op pains

Posted by linda on 4/29/01 at 14:35 (046172)

Just wondering about having pains in my foot that are like the ones I had before surgery. Is this normal? (I had PF release and nerve release) I was hoping I was finished with all that. Overall I have been pleased with how things are going but the last 2 days this post op pain started. I have my check-up on Tuesday and hope to return to work Wednesday if the Dr. says ok. Please let me know if this pain is normal or if any of you had the same experience.
Thanks, linda

Re: 10 day post op pains /

Tammie on 4/29/01 at hrmin (046176)

Hi Linda ,
I dont know if we have the same operation or not , I had the pf release and a spur taken care of also. I had the surgery about 11 days ago. I have seen the dr. twice for checks since the surgery, the last time she sat with me and explained some of what i am feeling. I have trouble mainly at night or after resting ,during elevation, I have like shocking pains that go right up my legs to my toes and the outside of foot. My heel is still very tender as I try to bare weight testing it lol and there is still pain there. She has stated to me that as long as it is still swollen and healing it is hard to tell if there is any nerve damage she said she was hoping it was the healing and the swelling, and reminded me to rest and elevate and to also ice if necassary.I hang my foot out the end of my bed it is quite humerous if u could see as I scrunch down in the bed so I can dangle my foot over the end of it as it feels better down then up . I also do not like anything touching it. I dont know if any of this sounds familiar or not to u? I am waiting for swelling to go so I can try shoes that will be a test for me. I have new orthodics which I am trying I have to wear them in the boot ,till I can fit my shoes. They seem to help some what with the walking but also give pain to my arches. My good foot seems to be rubbing on top as I have a new blister. I hope that u are well and I hope that your Dr. listens to u and gives u the right anwers to your questions as I found it was a huge weight lifted when she said to give it time it takes TIME lol not in a week it takes time. I was relieved that there is time to know it worked lol. I hope u get some relief. Have u been weight bearing? I see so many different post op differences it is so hard to relate sometimes as all seem different. Take care!!!

Diana on 4/29/01 at 21:45 (046205)

It has been 30 days since I had the same surgery you did. when I stand for long periods I still have the same pain I did before but my doctor says don't worry. I had gone back to work 2 weeks ago and now my doctor says that may have been ? o soon so I am cutting back some for the next 3 weeks. I have a standing up job.

linda on 4/30/01 at 08:22 (046219)

Thanks Diana, I am returning to work 2 weeks post op also, but I have a sitting job. I work at the high school and I will be changing class rooms but can put my foot up while in class. Also my principal is wonderful and said when I come back we can look at my schedule and modify it anyway needed. I have done very little since my surgery. I sure don't want to mess this up!! Last night was the worst pain I've had so far. Sharp shooting pains where the incision is. I'll ask the Dr. about that tomorrow. I'm nervous about the appointment. I'm actually scared to see the incision. Strange I know. I hate having stitches removed too. Anyway, hope everyone else is doing well! I continute to pray for us all! Linda

Susan U on 4/30/01 at 11:02 (046232)

Hi Linda. I had my stitches removed last Wed. and it was a breeze! You haven't seen the incision yet? I had mine uncovered since about 3 days after surgery so I could change the bandage. One thing I'll let you know, though. After the stitches were removed, the incision opened quite a bit. It was oozing and yucky looking. I had a check-up with my primary dr. this morning and I showed it to her. She said to keep it dry and she put steri strips on it to keep it closed. Just thought I'd give you a possible heads-up. Good luck with your checkup!

Tammie on 4/29/01 at hrmin (046176)

Hi Linda ,
I dont know if we have the same operation or not , I had the pf release and a spur taken care of also. I had the surgery about 11 days ago. I have seen the dr. twice for checks since the surgery, the last time she sat with me and explained some of what i am feeling. I have trouble mainly at night or after resting ,during elevation, I have like shocking pains that go right up my legs to my toes and the outside of foot. My heel is still very tender as I try to bare weight testing it lol and there is still pain there. She has stated to me that as long as it is still swollen and healing it is hard to tell if there is any nerve damage she said she was hoping it was the healing and the swelling, and reminded me to rest and elevate and to also ice if necassary.I hang my foot out the end of my bed it is quite humerous if u could see as I scrunch down in the bed so I can dangle my foot over the end of it as it feels better down then up . I also do not like anything touching it. I dont know if any of this sounds familiar or not to u? I am waiting for swelling to go so I can try shoes that will be a test for me. I have new orthodics which I am trying I have to wear them in the boot ,till I can fit my shoes. They seem to help some what with the walking but also give pain to my arches. My good foot seems to be rubbing on top as I have a new blister. I hope that u are well and I hope that your Dr. listens to u and gives u the right anwers to your questions as I found it was a huge weight lifted when she said to give it time it takes TIME lol not in a week it takes time. I was relieved that there is time to know it worked lol. I hope u get some relief. Have u been weight bearing? I see so many different post op differences it is so hard to relate sometimes as all seem different. Take care!!!

Diana on 4/29/01 at 21:45 (046205)

It has been 30 days since I had the same surgery you did. when I stand for long periods I still have the same pain I did before but my doctor says don't worry. I had gone back to work 2 weeks ago and now my doctor says that may have been ? o soon so I am cutting back some for the next 3 weeks. I have a standing up job.

linda on 4/30/01 at 08:22 (046219)

Thanks Diana, I am returning to work 2 weeks post op also, but I have a sitting job. I work at the high school and I will be changing class rooms but can put my foot up while in class. Also my principal is wonderful and said when I come back we can look at my schedule and modify it anyway needed. I have done very little since my surgery. I sure don't want to mess this up!! Last night was the worst pain I've had so far. Sharp shooting pains where the incision is. I'll ask the Dr. about that tomorrow. I'm nervous about the appointment. I'm actually scared to see the incision. Strange I know. I hate having stitches removed too. Anyway, hope everyone else is doing well! I continute to pray for us all! Linda

Susan U on 4/30/01 at 11:02 (046232)

Hi Linda. I had my stitches removed last Wed. and it was a breeze! You haven't seen the incision yet? I had mine uncovered since about 3 days after surgery so I could change the bandage. One thing I'll let you know, though. After the stitches were removed, the incision opened quite a bit. It was oozing and yucky looking. I had a check-up with my primary dr. this morning and I showed it to her. She said to keep it dry and she put steri strips on it to keep it closed. Just thought I'd give you a possible heads-up. Good luck with your checkup!