Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain begun again after 3 yrs.......help!!

Posted by Scott on 4/29/01 at hrmin (046193)

I stopped playing soccer three years ago for about nine months. I used all the inserts and even ended up having a cortisone injection. It did clear up finally, but I couldn't guarantee that it was the injection. It has come back aftre playing a match on hard ground. I am gutted. Firstly should I keep playing through the pain because it never really got any worse? Secondly why are docs so worried about giving the cortisone injections? Should I just get another one straight away as it may have been what helped my recovery?

Also are there any revolutionary new treatments?

My sympathies are with all sufferers.

Re: Pain begun again after 3 yrs.......help!!

Dr.Zuckerman on 4/29/01 at 19:07 (046194)

Hi Scott,

Local steriod injections are used for an acute plantar fasciitis. Giving additional steriod injections can in some case (8-9%) cause a rupture of the plantar fasciitis. Yes it does happen. Finding out the cause needs to be determine. Reading the heelspurs.com heel pain book will give some some terrific insight into what is pf and many method that you can use to understand and control and yes prevent this disease. Be sure that you just don't play through the pain. This has in many cases cause permanent injury to the plantar fascia tissue.

Have you read the section on ESWT. This is the latest non-invasive shockwave procedure that is very effective for the treatment of chronic pf foot pain. So you have some home work to do and it will be worth. This board is here to help you. IF there is any specific questions on ESWT feel free to just ask .

Scott J on 4/29/01 at hrmin (046199)

Thanks a lot. I have printed off as m,uch info as I could find over the last hour and will try and digest as much as possible. So definitely don't play?

Thanks again, no doubt I will have some morte questions pretty soon.

Scott

BrianG on 4/30/01 at 07:51 (046212)

Hi Scott,

If you have PF, I don't think there is any such thing as playing through the pain. It will only make it worse. Sorry, but you need to take a rest, and check out ESWT.

BCG

Dr.Zuckerman on 4/29/01 at 19:07 (046194)

Hi Scott,

Local steriod injections are used for an acute plantar fasciitis. Giving additional steriod injections can in some case (8-9%) cause a rupture of the plantar fasciitis. Yes it does happen. Finding out the cause needs to be determine. Reading the heelspurs.com heel pain book will give some some terrific insight into what is pf and many method that you can use to understand and control and yes prevent this disease. Be sure that you just don't play through the pain. This has in many cases cause permanent injury to the plantar fascia tissue.

Have you read the section on ESWT. This is the latest non-invasive shockwave procedure that is very effective for the treatment of chronic pf foot pain. So you have some home work to do and it will be worth. This board is here to help you. IF there is any specific questions on ESWT feel free to just ask .

Scott J on 4/29/01 at hrmin (046199)

Thanks a lot. I have printed off as m,uch info as I could find over the last hour and will try and digest as much as possible. So definitely don't play?

Thanks again, no doubt I will have some morte questions pretty soon.

Scott

BrianG on 4/30/01 at 07:51 (046212)

Hi Scott,

If you have PF, I don't think there is any such thing as playing through the pain. It will only make it worse. Sorry, but you need to take a rest, and check out ESWT.

BCG