Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

how long til my orthotics start to work?

Posted by rosemary c on 4/29/01 at 19:32 (046200)

i posted a few wks ago on here. i am a runner with medial knee pain and orthotics were prescribed. i picked them up weds. and i am breaking them in. so far my knee does not feel any better. i know that it will not feel better overnight but i was just wonndering how long until i should feel a difference? how long before i know if they are going to work? i know i am impatient but this is my second pair of orthotics (the first was for a previous injury and did nothing. my current podiatrist says they were totally incorrect fot my foot)and i was running competitively in college before this injury and it has been months. i am waiting to get back to running. i am a 19 yr old female. thank you very much for your help.

Re: how long til my orthotics start to work?

Richard, C.Ped on 4/29/01 at 20:24 (046201)

Hi Rosemary,
You know, it is very hard to say. Everyone is different. Some may get instant relief, others may not. Be patient and give yourself the normal break in time. I see many athletes who just want to get back to competition. Give yourself time to recover.

Since you just got them wednesday, give them about another week to May 9th. Let us know how they are working out for you then. If you notice any new pains, let your doctor know a.s.a.p.
Richard

Re: Richard

wendyn on 4/29/01 at 21:26 (046203)

Richard - I keep meaning to tell you about the orthotics I started with in around March - remember me?

Wanted you to know that MUCH to my amazement, they continue to make a HUGE difference. I am by no means 'cured' but I am to the point now where my feet are much better of in the orthotics - and I have trouble spending a whole day in my birks.

Ordered custom birks last week that have the orthotic foot bed. I am hoping that will help through the summer.

I went from an orthotics 'believer' to an orthotics hater because of what my last pair did to my feet. This renews my faith in their ability to help those of us with significant structural problems.

Richard, C.Ped on 4/30/01 at 08:05 (046215)

Of course I remember you Wendy!! I usually have a great memory (until my wife asks me to do chores around the house:-)). That is great!! I love to hear the success stories when it comes to orthotics. I am very happy for you.

Richard

Carlw on 4/30/01 at hrmin (046235)

Hi Wendy,

Glad to hear that your orthotics are helping you. Would you mind sharing where you got them from? As a fellow Cowgarian I have not been overly impressed with the pair that I have worn (hard plastic 3/4 length) for the last year and feel that they may be contributing to some metatarsul problems that I have been experiencing in the last few months.

Thanks

wendyn on 4/30/01 at 18:34 (046270)

Sure Carl - I never get around to emailing many people any more - sorry I've never dropped you a note....one of these days.

His name is Dr. Neil Humble - he works in the Market Mall Prof Bldg. He is very good - my previous pod used to send his tough orthotics cases to Neil. He also made my son's. This is the same place I ordered the custom birks.

Where did you get the pair you have now?

Carlw on 4/30/01 at hrmin (046290)

Wendy,

Thanks for the info. I got mine at the Achiles Foot Clinic in Mayfair place. They were casted and sent to Victoria for manufacturing. My wife got a pair from Orthotics in Motion (Dual PF family and chasing a 3 year old son) and they seem a little better than mine. I just got an appointment today for a Dr. Wiley at the U of C in the sports medicine department. I hope to talk to him about the Sonocure machine and give it a go in the near future with postings to follow on the ESWT board.

Take Care

wendyn on 4/30/01 at 22:49 (046295)

Carl - WAY TOO FUNNY!

Small world.

I got my last pair (the ones I hated) at Achilles foot clinic on Centre street - same dudes different clinic. Dr. Gattenby. Nice looking guy - but I didn't like the orthotics much after a while. Also saw Dr Feldman (also a nice looking guy) who wanted to poke my foot with a needle. I have heard very good things about Orthotics in Motion.

Dr Wiley is the guy I waited to see up at the U of C. I saw him the first time hmmm I guess almost 2 years ago. I think I waited 2 months to get in but he was on vacation for part of the time. The sports med doctor I was seeing referred me to him.

He was VERY nice. He did a whole bunch of xrays of my lower back and thought I may have ankolosying spondylitis (sp?). Sent me for a full bone scan of hips, pelvis etc. Was negative. He outlined all my options with TTS - and ACTUALLY is the one who told me to give acupuncture a try (which to me means he's open to alternative treatments). He brought out a little blackboard and listed off all the conservative treatments and what my options were. Even though I was devestated at the time that he didn't have a quick fix for me, he was honest and very compassionate. Apparently he specializes in lower extremity entrapment syndromes.

Unfortunately - he couldn't help me much...he did refer me to the orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon I've seen (Dr Iain Russell). There are two Ian Russell foot doctors in the city - ones a pod one's an orthepedic surgeon.

This still has me chuckling that we had our orthotics made at the same place. I bet yours are black, hard and say paragon or something on them.

Carl - we really have to do coffee.

Richard, C.Ped on 4/29/01 at 20:24 (046201)

Hi Rosemary,
You know, it is very hard to say. Everyone is different. Some may get instant relief, others may not. Be patient and give yourself the normal break in time. I see many athletes who just want to get back to competition. Give yourself time to recover.

Since you just got them wednesday, give them about another week to May 9th. Let us know how they are working out for you then. If you notice any new pains, let your doctor know a.s.a.p.
Richard

wendyn on 4/29/01 at 21:26 (046203)

Richard - I keep meaning to tell you about the orthotics I started with in around March - remember me?

Wanted you to know that MUCH to my amazement, they continue to make a HUGE difference. I am by no means 'cured' but I am to the point now where my feet are much better of in the orthotics - and I have trouble spending a whole day in my birks.

Ordered custom birks last week that have the orthotic foot bed. I am hoping that will help through the summer.

I went from an orthotics 'believer' to an orthotics hater because of what my last pair did to my feet. This renews my faith in their ability to help those of us with significant structural problems.

Richard, C.Ped on 4/30/01 at 08:05 (046215)

Of course I remember you Wendy!! I usually have a great memory (until my wife asks me to do chores around the house:-)). That is great!! I love to hear the success stories when it comes to orthotics. I am very happy for you.

Richard

Carlw on 4/30/01 at hrmin (046235)

Hi Wendy,

Glad to hear that your orthotics are helping you. Would you mind sharing where you got them from? As a fellow Cowgarian I have not been overly impressed with the pair that I have worn (hard plastic 3/4 length) for the last year and feel that they may be contributing to some metatarsul problems that I have been experiencing in the last few months.

Thanks

wendyn on 4/30/01 at 18:34 (046270)

Sure Carl - I never get around to emailing many people any more - sorry I've never dropped you a note....one of these days.

His name is Dr. Neil Humble - he works in the Market Mall Prof Bldg. He is very good - my previous pod used to send his tough orthotics cases to Neil. He also made my son's. This is the same place I ordered the custom birks.

Where did you get the pair you have now?

Carlw on 4/30/01 at hrmin (046290)

Wendy,

Thanks for the info. I got mine at the Achiles Foot Clinic in Mayfair place. They were casted and sent to Victoria for manufacturing. My wife got a pair from Orthotics in Motion (Dual PF family and chasing a 3 year old son) and they seem a little better than mine. I just got an appointment today for a Dr. Wiley at the U of C in the sports medicine department. I hope to talk to him about the Sonocure machine and give it a go in the near future with postings to follow on the ESWT board.

Take Care

wendyn on 4/30/01 at 22:49 (046295)

Carl - WAY TOO FUNNY!

Small world.

I got my last pair (the ones I hated) at Achilles foot clinic on Centre street - same dudes different clinic. Dr. Gattenby. Nice looking guy - but I didn't like the orthotics much after a while. Also saw Dr Feldman (also a nice looking guy) who wanted to poke my foot with a needle. I have heard very good things about Orthotics in Motion.

Dr Wiley is the guy I waited to see up at the U of C. I saw him the first time hmmm I guess almost 2 years ago. I think I waited 2 months to get in but he was on vacation for part of the time. The sports med doctor I was seeing referred me to him.

He was VERY nice. He did a whole bunch of xrays of my lower back and thought I may have ankolosying spondylitis (sp?). Sent me for a full bone scan of hips, pelvis etc. Was negative. He outlined all my options with TTS - and ACTUALLY is the one who told me to give acupuncture a try (which to me means he's open to alternative treatments). He brought out a little blackboard and listed off all the conservative treatments and what my options were. Even though I was devestated at the time that he didn't have a quick fix for me, he was honest and very compassionate. Apparently he specializes in lower extremity entrapment syndromes.

Unfortunately - he couldn't help me much...he did refer me to the orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon I've seen (Dr Iain Russell). There are two Ian Russell foot doctors in the city - ones a pod one's an orthepedic surgeon.

This still has me chuckling that we had our orthotics made at the same place. I bet yours are black, hard and say paragon or something on them.

Carl - we really have to do coffee.