Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pain

Posted by CarolynT on 4/30/01 at hrmin (046227)

I have been having pain in my heels for about 2 years.
2 years ago I went to a foot surgern because he advertised lazer surgery and said that he could have you back on your feet in 6 weeks.
I went and he xrayed my feet and told me that I would have to have surgery and they could not do lazer because the spurs are wrapped around my tendon.
I am in so much pain now that I have set up an appointment to go to another doctor and get another opinion.
How dangerous can this surgery be? Could I possibly be crippled if someone makes a mistake. That is what I was imformed , by the first Doctor that I went to.
Thanks, Worried about surgery

Re: pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/30/01 at 11:05 (046234)

Hi,

With any cutting of the plantar fascia whether it is with a laser, or any other instrument you do have the risk of permanent nerve and or foot functioning problem. We have been using ESWT in over 200 cases that does resolve heel pain either pf or heel spur without any of the common complications that you can have with tradional surgery treatment. ESWT is very effective for chronic heel pain relief. If you would like additional information about the orbasone, you can either call my office at 1-856-848-3338 or e-mail my ESWT coordinator Denise at heelhelp@bee.net . She can arrange for an informational packet with video. I hope that is helpfu. Feel free to ask any question that you may have.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/30/01 at 23:53 (046310)

Heel spur surgery is only about 70% sucessful, statistically. There are a lot of complications as well. I would highly consider ESW prior to agreeing to surgery. I don't like the way your doctor explained things to you. I would definitely get a second opinion. I do not believe LASER can be used at all for PF or heel spurs. It is not the standard of care.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/30/01 at 11:05 (046234)

Hi,

With any cutting of the plantar fascia whether it is with a laser, or any other instrument you do have the risk of permanent nerve and or foot functioning problem. We have been using ESWT in over 200 cases that does resolve heel pain either pf or heel spur without any of the common complications that you can have with tradional surgery treatment. ESWT is very effective for chronic heel pain relief. If you would like additional information about the orbasone, you can either call my office at 1-856-848-3338 or e-mail my ESWT coordinator Denise at heelhelp@bee.net . She can arrange for an informational packet with video. I hope that is helpfu. Feel free to ask any question that you may have.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/30/01 at 23:53 (046310)

Heel spur surgery is only about 70% sucessful, statistically. There are a lot of complications as well. I would highly consider ESW prior to agreeing to surgery. I don't like the way your doctor explained things to you. I would definitely get a second opinion. I do not believe LASER can be used at all for PF or heel spurs. It is not the standard of care.