Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is this a bad idea? Hesitant about an exercise PT wants me to do.

Posted by Beverly on 4/30/01 at 17:32 (046259)

Hi! Dr. Z,

I just started PT in my new city with new PT. I tried to stress how debilitating my PF/PTT and now AT have been and reviewed past PT experience. I told him that the number #1 thing I hope to accomplish in PT is to get the AT pain under control so that I can resume my nonweightbearing stretches that helped my PF. (Still hurts to do them since developing the AT last month and weightbearing stretches have always been too much.)

He wants me to ride the stationary bike at my apartment's gym and walk in the pool for 10-15 minutes. (There is no deep end in our pool) I told him my gut feeling was that walking with my feet touching the bottom of the pool would be too much and I need to work up to the bike. I don't think he understood, but we finally compremised with a few gentle range of motion stretches sitting in the pool or hot tub. (Much like the ankle pumps you suggested, plus, inversion/exversion, ankle circles, alphabet tracing).

Was I correct in being hesitant about walking in waist high water?

Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Is this a bad idea? Hesitant about an exercise PT wants me to do.

Sherrie M. on 4/30/01 at 17:43 (046263)

Hi Beverly, I was wondering where you live? Is Dr. Z's in N.J. to far for you to come. I told Dr.z today that I would love for you to be evaluated by him,he is sooo good! Sherrie

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/30/01 at 17:48 (046264)

I do have the advantage of knowing your past experience with physical therapy and your bodies response. You can always move up the level of Physical therapy. We already know the effects of too aggressive physical
therapy in your specific foot case. I do like the deep end aerobic therapy. This is no resistance but if you are uncomfortable in water you can move your feet too much. So yes you did right . Good luck and keep up your particaption in your health

Beverly on 4/30/01 at 23:09 (046299)

Thank you, Dr. Z. Glad my instincts were right. Like I said, the pool has no deep end; so my feet would be touching the ground.

Sherrie, I'm in Texas. Unfortunately, way far away from Dr. Z.
My diagnosis has so far been pretty consistant. What continues to surprise the doctors I've seen is why I'm not getting over this. But if I put it in perspective, the PF was getting better but all these ankle problems have taken me off course and set back the PF.
Thanks,
Beverly

Sherrie M. on 4/30/01 at 17:43 (046263)

Hi Beverly, I was wondering where you live? Is Dr. Z's in N.J. to far for you to come. I told Dr.z today that I would love for you to be evaluated by him,he is sooo good! Sherrie

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/30/01 at 17:48 (046264)

I do have the advantage of knowing your past experience with physical therapy and your bodies response. You can always move up the level of Physical therapy. We already know the effects of too aggressive physical
therapy in your specific foot case. I do like the deep end aerobic therapy. This is no resistance but if you are uncomfortable in water you can move your feet too much. So yes you did right . Good luck and keep up your particaption in your health

Beverly on 4/30/01 at 23:09 (046299)

Thank you, Dr. Z. Glad my instincts were right. Like I said, the pool has no deep end; so my feet would be touching the ground.

Sherrie, I'm in Texas. Unfortunately, way far away from Dr. Z.
My diagnosis has so far been pretty consistant. What continues to surprise the doctors I've seen is why I'm not getting over this. But if I put it in perspective, the PF was getting better but all these ankle problems have taken me off course and set back the PF.
Thanks,
Beverly