Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

hammertoe surgery

Posted by kristyg on 4/30/01 at hrmin (046292)

I had hammertoe surgery one month ago today in which a piece of bone was removed from my fifth toe. I still have 'floppy' toe and cannot wear anything but the surgical shoe or a flip flop. The Doctor told me healing time would be one month. Is this normal to not have full feeling and pain when wearing a shoe after one month? How do I know if the doctor removed too much bone and the floppy toe is permanent? How much more time should I expect to not be able to wear a shoe?

Re: hammertoe surgery

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/30/01 at 23:48 (046306)

Have you asked your doc these questions yet? Once a toe is truely a floppy toe, it doesn't really go back, although it shouldn't be painful. The little toes do tend to swell quite a bit and can be wrapped in a certain way to help.

Joyce Butler on 5/01/01 at hrmin (046328)

Had Hammer toe surgeryDec 1999 two following surgeries to same foot to remove scare tissue to increase flexibility. MRI shows swelling in muscle what does that means?

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/01/01 at 08:23 (046336)

Here is why I do hammer toe surgery for that painful chronic corn on the top of the toe that won't let you wear most of your shoes. Hammer toe surgery is done to get rid of the corn and to allow the patient to ge into more shoes without pain.

Flexibility may be lost, most hammer toes have lost flexibility before the foot surgery. The toe maybe fatter, the toe may not bend.

I am not sure what type of scar tissue you are talking about. Please explain alittle more

Thanks

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/01/01 at 08:33 (046337)

Hi

The average time for hammer toe surgery is about two months. During this time it is important to keep any shoe pressure off the toe. There ca be pain and swelling in the toe. Some patients will get electricl shock feelings in the toe. Now some toe especially the 2nd and 5th even take longer. If you have a floppy toe at this point and time in the healing cycle you need to wrap the toe, have you doctor show you the proper toe wrap. You can have a loose toe at this time in the healing. The tendon and soft tissues are still healing and some shorting needs to take place.

kristyg on 5/01/01 at hrmin (046341)

Thank you for your quick response. Do you have any tips on what can be done to reduce the swelling besides icing? I'm hoping this is the reason for not being able to wear a shoe...

Dr. Marlene Reid on 4/30/01 at 23:48 (046306)

Have you asked your doc these questions yet? Once a toe is truely a floppy toe, it doesn't really go back, although it shouldn't be painful. The little toes do tend to swell quite a bit and can be wrapped in a certain way to help.

Joyce Butler on 5/01/01 at hrmin (046328)

Had Hammer toe surgeryDec 1999 two following surgeries to same foot to remove scare tissue to increase flexibility. MRI shows swelling in muscle what does that means?

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/01/01 at 08:23 (046336)

Here is why I do hammer toe surgery for that painful chronic corn on the top of the toe that won't let you wear most of your shoes. Hammer toe surgery is done to get rid of the corn and to allow the patient to ge into more shoes without pain.

Flexibility may be lost, most hammer toes have lost flexibility before the foot surgery. The toe maybe fatter, the toe may not bend.

I am not sure what type of scar tissue you are talking about. Please explain alittle more

Thanks

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/01/01 at 08:33 (046337)

Hi

The average time for hammer toe surgery is about two months. During this time it is important to keep any shoe pressure off the toe. There ca be pain and swelling in the toe. Some patients will get electricl shock feelings in the toe. Now some toe especially the 2nd and 5th even take longer. If you have a floppy toe at this point and time in the healing cycle you need to wrap the toe, have you doctor show you the proper toe wrap. You can have a loose toe at this time in the healing. The tendon and soft tissues are still healing and some shorting needs to take place.

kristyg on 5/01/01 at hrmin (046341)

Thank you for your quick response. Do you have any tips on what can be done to reduce the swelling besides icing? I'm hoping this is the reason for not being able to wear a shoe...