Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

orthotics and my knee

Posted by rosemary c on 5/01/01 at 21:11 (046390)

i just got my orthotics a wk ago. i got them b/c of pain on the inside of my left knee around where the pes anserine tendon is. the last few days the front of my knee has been achy. it aches when i go down the stairs and is worse in the morning. could this be from my orthotics. it does not hurt worse on one side it just seems to be a general ache in the front of my knee over the kneecap. thank you for your help.

Re: orthotics and my knee

Pauline on 5/02/01 at 20:18 (046444)

Rosemary,
I certainly am not expert in Orthotics but I did experience the exact same thing you are describing. In addition by hips also got involved. I have not been able to wear orthotics at all and that includes over the counter and 3 pair of custom.

You could always remove them to see if your knees get better then try them again and see what happens. This way when you go back you can relate your findings.

rosemary c on 5/03/01 at 18:44 (046532)

i just talked to someone at my podiatrists office but was unable to talk to my podiatrist today. she said she thought that the aching in my knee is due to the arches possibly being to high in my orthotics and suggestsed they may need to be lowered a little.
i am at college, next wk is final exams, and the office is an hr away. i just wanted to know what you guys thought of this. do the orthotics need to be adjusted or do i just need to get used to them. my knee feels kind of stiff and achy. it feels like it does not move smoothly or something when i am walking or like it does not want to bend when it needs to in my stride. i know this is not a very medically accurate discription but it is the best i can do. please post if you can help. i am getting impatient as i have not run in months and was really counting on these orthotics!

Donna SL on 5/04/01 at 05:57 (046564)

Rosemary,

Don't wear them if you feel something is not right. They shouldn't feel like they are restricting your movement, or be hurting you in any way. The
restrictive feeling is usually from the orthotics over correcting your gait, which can cause a lot of problems if not fixed. Don't let anyone tell you that it's something you have to get used to. I don't buy that anymore. It's one thing to have a little muscle fatigue, but that's about it. I used to believe pods when they said you have to break them in when I told them the orthotics were causing unusual discomfort, and I kept wearing them which resulted in long term injuries. I found out later that I was in the wrong prescription. Sometimes the orthotics can cause problems after just one day if they aren't right.

Listen to your body. It's telling you something, and wearing something that is not right can cause a whole host of other problems. Have them adjusted before any continued use.

Donna

Richard, C.Ped on 5/04/01 at 08:26 (046573)

Hi Rosemary,
Sorry you are having all the trouble with the orthotics. If the orthotic is built up to much such as an inverted orthotic, that will cause the problem you are describing. I think it is well worth the one hour trip to have them adjusted. You do not want to force yourself to wear them which could lead to more serious problems.

After the orthtotics are adjusted, walk around in the office for a while. This will give you some idea if they are correct. Remember, if your feet are not used to custom orthotics, they may feel tired and achy. On occasion, I do have people put them in their shoes and have no problem at all. That is very, very rare. Don't make the common mistake of expecting the miracle cure right off the bat. I did when I first started wearing mine. I was a huge skeptic until they finally started to feel comfortable...that was about two weeks later.

I am not trying to be negative, I just don't want you to get frustrated and end up throwing the orthotics away or putting them in a drawer.

Your body will let you know if the orthotics are not correct. Your knee pain is a prime example.

Here is a few tips when they are being adjusted. Make sure they use the insole that came with the shoe as a 'template'. Make sure the orthosis sits flat inside the shoe. After the orthosis in placed in the shoe, put the shoe on a hard flat surface such as a desktop. with your index finger, push down just behind the arch of the orthosis. If the orthosis sides bend or cup toward the middle, it is not flat or properly interfaced with the shoe. Keep in mind that it may cup slightly. If if cups quite a bit, have them adjust the orthosis again.

Don't be timid about asking for adjustments.
Good luck to you. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.
Richard, C.Ped

rosemary c on 5/04/01 at 13:46 (046612)

could you explain more about what you mean when you say the orthotics 'may be built up too much as in an inverted orthotic' is that the same as or related to the arch being a little too high as the woman i spoke to when i called my pod. suggested? i just want to understand more about exactly how they may need to be adjusted.
thank you so much for your replies and help. this page is wonderful! i am so impressed with all the help i have recieved.

rosemary c on 5/04/01 at 14:41 (046618)

i forgot to add this to my last post:
my knee is not really hurting so much today but it definitely still has that stiff, not-wanting-to-bend feeling when i walk. i don't know if this changes anything as far as what i should do.

Richard, C.Ped on 5/04/01 at 15:23 (046624)

sorry, inverted is a term for adding extra material to the medial side of the orthosis to push your foot toward supination.....or so.

You may only just need a little less arch in the orthosis. It is hard to say without seeing you or the orthotic.

If you are still having that feeling, you may want to decrease the time you are wearing the orthosis, or maybe just stop using it right now. Talk with the doctor that prescribed it before you do so.

Richard

Pauline on 5/02/01 at 20:18 (046444)

Rosemary,
I certainly am not expert in Orthotics but I did experience the exact same thing you are describing. In addition by hips also got involved. I have not been able to wear orthotics at all and that includes over the counter and 3 pair of custom.

You could always remove them to see if your knees get better then try them again and see what happens. This way when you go back you can relate your findings.

rosemary c on 5/03/01 at 18:44 (046532)

i just talked to someone at my podiatrists office but was unable to talk to my podiatrist today. she said she thought that the aching in my knee is due to the arches possibly being to high in my orthotics and suggestsed they may need to be lowered a little.
i am at college, next wk is final exams, and the office is an hr away. i just wanted to know what you guys thought of this. do the orthotics need to be adjusted or do i just need to get used to them. my knee feels kind of stiff and achy. it feels like it does not move smoothly or something when i am walking or like it does not want to bend when it needs to in my stride. i know this is not a very medically accurate discription but it is the best i can do. please post if you can help. i am getting impatient as i have not run in months and was really counting on these orthotics!

Donna SL on 5/04/01 at 05:57 (046564)

Rosemary,

Don't wear them if you feel something is not right. They shouldn't feel like they are restricting your movement, or be hurting you in any way. The
restrictive feeling is usually from the orthotics over correcting your gait, which can cause a lot of problems if not fixed. Don't let anyone tell you that it's something you have to get used to. I don't buy that anymore. It's one thing to have a little muscle fatigue, but that's about it. I used to believe pods when they said you have to break them in when I told them the orthotics were causing unusual discomfort, and I kept wearing them which resulted in long term injuries. I found out later that I was in the wrong prescription. Sometimes the orthotics can cause problems after just one day if they aren't right.

Listen to your body. It's telling you something, and wearing something that is not right can cause a whole host of other problems. Have them adjusted before any continued use.

Donna

Richard, C.Ped on 5/04/01 at 08:26 (046573)

Hi Rosemary,
Sorry you are having all the trouble with the orthotics. If the orthotic is built up to much such as an inverted orthotic, that will cause the problem you are describing. I think it is well worth the one hour trip to have them adjusted. You do not want to force yourself to wear them which could lead to more serious problems.

After the orthtotics are adjusted, walk around in the office for a while. This will give you some idea if they are correct. Remember, if your feet are not used to custom orthotics, they may feel tired and achy. On occasion, I do have people put them in their shoes and have no problem at all. That is very, very rare. Don't make the common mistake of expecting the miracle cure right off the bat. I did when I first started wearing mine. I was a huge skeptic until they finally started to feel comfortable...that was about two weeks later.

I am not trying to be negative, I just don't want you to get frustrated and end up throwing the orthotics away or putting them in a drawer.

Your body will let you know if the orthotics are not correct. Your knee pain is a prime example.

Here is a few tips when they are being adjusted. Make sure they use the insole that came with the shoe as a 'template'. Make sure the orthosis sits flat inside the shoe. After the orthosis in placed in the shoe, put the shoe on a hard flat surface such as a desktop. with your index finger, push down just behind the arch of the orthosis. If the orthosis sides bend or cup toward the middle, it is not flat or properly interfaced with the shoe. Keep in mind that it may cup slightly. If if cups quite a bit, have them adjust the orthosis again.

Don't be timid about asking for adjustments.
Good luck to you. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.
Richard, C.Ped

rosemary c on 5/04/01 at 13:46 (046612)

could you explain more about what you mean when you say the orthotics 'may be built up too much as in an inverted orthotic' is that the same as or related to the arch being a little too high as the woman i spoke to when i called my pod. suggested? i just want to understand more about exactly how they may need to be adjusted.
thank you so much for your replies and help. this page is wonderful! i am so impressed with all the help i have recieved.

rosemary c on 5/04/01 at 14:41 (046618)

i forgot to add this to my last post:
my knee is not really hurting so much today but it definitely still has that stiff, not-wanting-to-bend feeling when i walk. i don't know if this changes anything as far as what i should do.

Richard, C.Ped on 5/04/01 at 15:23 (046624)

sorry, inverted is a term for adding extra material to the medial side of the orthosis to push your foot toward supination.....or so.

You may only just need a little less arch in the orthosis. It is hard to say without seeing you or the orthotic.

If you are still having that feeling, you may want to decrease the time you are wearing the orthosis, or maybe just stop using it right now. Talk with the doctor that prescribed it before you do so.

Richard