Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

do u think this is the norm/2 week post op?

Posted by Tammie on 5/02/01 at hrmin (046425)

Hi ,
I am feeling better in many ways,but I am troubled by some continuing pain which seems to be getting a bit more unbearable. It seems to be on the upper and outer side of my foot and ankle area.I think I may have read a post that this could be normal or typical of this area after the pf and spur surgery? Is this right?I have been alternating between a shoe with orthotic and the cast boot with the orthotic, I still have some swelling middday in the foot toe area. I have been worried as it seems like it has been a bit mopre painful then it was.I am wondering if it could be the orthodic?My ankle has the feeling of being very week and when I wear a regular shoe I feel as my ankle is going to give out and it hurts to the outside. Like a strain or sprain type hurt tho I did not strain it?The nighttime pain is still there,but really have not been worried about it cause the dr. seemed to think might be healing ,thought maybe this to is healing pain? I can put shoes on some but they really seem to hurt the surgery foot and I can put some weight on the heel but also some pain yet. Really the boot is much more comfortable for me as seems to offer more support .Although it is good to wear shoes as boot is so hot and heavey. My ankle seems to hurt with or without boot but seems like feels as if more support with the pnematic cast boot. It is 2 week post op now so this may be all normal I am not looking for trouble,Just wondered if this seems ot be the norm. I want to do what they want me to and they do seem like they want the shoes on which I really am trying as I to would rather that but seems like there is more pain . Please what do u think? I hate to think that I am so annoying but I do not have much expierance with the feet lol although when this is done I may have more then I ever wanted!!!!!! Please dont tell me to call the dr. I really hate that I would rather keep mouth shut and suffer. I dont go to see them for another 3 weeks. I know this is kinda soon and well maybe this is all within the norms, I have been searching old posts ,but I guess I am a bit worried as they had mentioned a carpal syndrom like thing in the foot before the surgery and hoped that fixing the pf would relieve it . I just wondered if maybe this is the healing? Gosh dont even tell me there might be more trouble or I will be looking for a good shrink next.Thanks. And thank u everyone who has supported me thru all this and cared.

Re: do u think this is the norm/2 week post op?

wendyn on 5/02/01 at 13:31 (046426)

Tammie - I'd love to help you...it makes it tough when you say 'please don't tell me to call the doctor'. We can try to help you, and the doctors here can too - but the bottom line remains that if you are concerned about what's happening with your foot - it is always best to call your doctor. No one here can see it, or knows exactly what's going on, or what exactly the doctor did. It would be dangerous here for someone here to say 'Oh - that's perfectly normal - don't worry about it'.

That said, 2 weeks post op is not long. Feet take forever to heal. Because you are also adjusting to new orthotics - there is no way to tell what pain may be from them and what may be from the surgery.

The carpal tunnel in the feet you refer to is called Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. It cannot be fixed by a routine PF surgery. It is difficult to fix surgically period. If they did not diagnose you with that - don't worry about it.

You know best about how you feel. If you are worried about what is happening with your foot and you chose to 'keep your mouth shut and suffer' for another 3 weeks - you run the risk of ignoring something that you shouldn't have. Ultimately it's your call - listen to your body.

Betsy S on 5/02/01 at 16:59 (046435)

I have the same pain in my foot. The opposite side of the incision, in the ankle area. My ankle is very weak, but it is coming along. It has been 6 weeks since my surgery. My doctor said to get an ankle brace, it looks like a sock, and start back on Advil. I am hopeful that it improves every day

Re: When this is over I never want to hear listen to your body again lol

tammie on 5/02/01 at 19:14 (046439)

Thank u for the advice I know what I SHOULD do I really do, but there is always a but when it comes to me I do not like bugging a dr. Who is not really thrilled to hear from me anyways lol I have had a time and a half trying to get his office to fax my medical paper for my Disability ins while I am off and I prepaid my 12.00 lol ,they have had that for 2 weeks to and just today after maybe a couple calls from me and a couple from my work,and with the resubmit because they forgot to sign it, I dont they will be to thrilled to hear from Me! Boy what a office. Well I do hate those words boy do I I have NEVER heard them so much in my life as the last few months. But if I listen to my body how will I know it is not getting lazy lol I want it to work not be lazy, they seem to tell me get the shoes on and wear orthotics and bear total weight and well everything takes time ,well ok things were going fine and well ok today I went back to using crutches and I have dropped them since about day 5 so that does say something to me something is painful god I am not sure what anymore , I hate this so much, I was so much better, now it feels like my whole foot hurts everywhere I hate this ! Thanks for the info anyways.

Andrea R. on 5/03/01 at 08:06 (046464)

Tammie,

I found out that when you feel that your doctor (or maybe his staff) aren't thrilled to hear from you, try a different approach. Have a family member call for you. My husband called my doctor's office as the worried and concerned husband. It was amazing how quickly he got answers to my questions and ever since I've gotten much better responses from his office.
I'm having surgery in just under two weeks and I'm confident that I will have my questions and concerns answered. Good luck.

BrianG on 5/03/01 at 09:19 (046472)

Hi Tammie,

You and your insurance company paid big dollars to this doctor and the squeaky wheel gets the grease. So, stay on him if he's not answering all your questions. Tell the recept. that you have to talk to him today, and that you'll wait for his call. I've had my doctor call me back as late as 8pm, and fortunatly he has never complained. Patients have rights, and I'd be willing to bet they are posted in his office. Don't let them intimadate you. Get the answers your looking for. Right now, wether you like it or not, your doc is your best friend !! It took me a month before my pain subsided, and I was on pain meds. Good luck.

BCG

Re: Bad Doctor!

Susan U on 5/03/01 at 10:57 (046483)

I sure wish you had gone to a different dr. in the first place. I can't believe the way you have been treated through all this. I hope when it is over you send off a letter to the AMA or whatever.

I am 3 weeks and 1 day post-op. I have been walking using only a quadcane for 2 weeks. I never had any cast of any kind. The only problem I am having is the incision has opened quite a bit since the stitches were removed and it oozes alot. I noticed when I walked yesterday the usual pain in the bottom of my heel was almost completely gone! I was shocked! Don't get me wrong, it did come back, but not bad at all. I know everyone is different, but I personally don't like the sound of your progress.

I have a friend who had surgery on her knee. Afterwards, she was in severe pain. She contacted her dr. everyday and was told to give it time. She went to physical therapy, did her exercises, rested, but nothing helped. She developed a fever and the pain got worse and worse. Still her dr. said not to worry. Well, finally she had enough!!! She asked me who my orthopedic dr. is. She went to see him and he found she had a severe infection and not only that, the operation had been botched. She had to be hospitalized with anti-biotics. Then he had to operate again to fix the mess the first dr. did. It was like night and day. Within days of the second surgery, her pain was virtually gone. She was able to move and do much more at physical therapy. Today, aside from the scar, you'd never think there was anything wrong with her knee. Thank God she went with her instincts and saw another dr. This might be something you may want to consider. Contact your insurance co. and let them know the problems you are having with reaching your dr. and how you feel you are not being treated right. Ask them to give you authorization to get a second opinion. Don't suffer anymore!!!!

God bless!

Re: Bad Doctor!/ or bad tammie

Tammie on 5/03/01 at 14:15 (046512)

Hi,
I know allot of things sound not to good and me myself hve questioned the facts of whether I mad a educated decision on the Dr.s treating me. I just didnt really think as they are board certified and I did check to see that. I should have known that maybe they were not a good kind of DR. for Me. But u know when u are impatient and in a hurry for closure and some progress u tend to think with pain and not your mind. I dont say that they are poor dr.s cause that i could not judge. I say they have much to much going on with more then one or 2 offices. I think that there setup is not the best. And I think that they ASSUME we should know things. I unfortuantly have not delt with this type of problem before so am very ignorant of things which is why I came here in the first place, thankfully I have recieved guidence and help here even if I didnt want to hear it,lol. It is most likely that I am not a model patient either poor Dr.s, as I suppose I could be the type to hear what I want to hear as I am a very impatient person. Then if they would be blunt and say look it is a time thing it will be this long at least dont worry before then or if u feel something that is bothereing u feel free to call office as we are here to listen to u or help u understand why or what is hurting. I have not had this option. sp therefore the problems

SuzanneK on 5/03/01 at 18:23 (046529)

Tammie - I know it is hard, but you must be patient. It will take a long time for your foot to heal. I found using one crutch as a support was extremely helpful. I do understand about the ankle pain. My doctor explained that as the muscles adjusting to a decreased tension in the foot - everything changes. That made sense to me. Listen to your foot - it will tell you when you've done too much. Be sure to keep icing and elevating - that is critical. It was a good 6 - 8 weeks after surgery before I felt anywhere close to 'normal.' Don't overdo! It only makes you worry more about the healing process.

wendyn on 5/02/01 at 13:31 (046426)

Tammie - I'd love to help you...it makes it tough when you say 'please don't tell me to call the doctor'. We can try to help you, and the doctors here can too - but the bottom line remains that if you are concerned about what's happening with your foot - it is always best to call your doctor. No one here can see it, or knows exactly what's going on, or what exactly the doctor did. It would be dangerous here for someone here to say 'Oh - that's perfectly normal - don't worry about it'.

That said, 2 weeks post op is not long. Feet take forever to heal. Because you are also adjusting to new orthotics - there is no way to tell what pain may be from them and what may be from the surgery.

The carpal tunnel in the feet you refer to is called Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. It cannot be fixed by a routine PF surgery. It is difficult to fix surgically period. If they did not diagnose you with that - don't worry about it.

You know best about how you feel. If you are worried about what is happening with your foot and you chose to 'keep your mouth shut and suffer' for another 3 weeks - you run the risk of ignoring something that you shouldn't have. Ultimately it's your call - listen to your body.

Betsy S on 5/02/01 at 16:59 (046435)

I have the same pain in my foot. The opposite side of the incision, in the ankle area. My ankle is very weak, but it is coming along. It has been 6 weeks since my surgery. My doctor said to get an ankle brace, it looks like a sock, and start back on Advil. I am hopeful that it improves every day

tammie on 5/02/01 at 19:14 (046439)

Thank u for the advice I know what I SHOULD do I really do, but there is always a but when it comes to me I do not like bugging a dr. Who is not really thrilled to hear from me anyways lol I have had a time and a half trying to get his office to fax my medical paper for my Disability ins while I am off and I prepaid my 12.00 lol ,they have had that for 2 weeks to and just today after maybe a couple calls from me and a couple from my work,and with the resubmit because they forgot to sign it, I dont they will be to thrilled to hear from Me! Boy what a office. Well I do hate those words boy do I I have NEVER heard them so much in my life as the last few months. But if I listen to my body how will I know it is not getting lazy lol I want it to work not be lazy, they seem to tell me get the shoes on and wear orthotics and bear total weight and well everything takes time ,well ok things were going fine and well ok today I went back to using crutches and I have dropped them since about day 5 so that does say something to me something is painful god I am not sure what anymore , I hate this so much, I was so much better, now it feels like my whole foot hurts everywhere I hate this ! Thanks for the info anyways.

Andrea R. on 5/03/01 at 08:06 (046464)

Tammie,

I found out that when you feel that your doctor (or maybe his staff) aren't thrilled to hear from you, try a different approach. Have a family member call for you. My husband called my doctor's office as the worried and concerned husband. It was amazing how quickly he got answers to my questions and ever since I've gotten much better responses from his office.
I'm having surgery in just under two weeks and I'm confident that I will have my questions and concerns answered. Good luck.

BrianG on 5/03/01 at 09:19 (046472)

Hi Tammie,

You and your insurance company paid big dollars to this doctor and the squeaky wheel gets the grease. So, stay on him if he's not answering all your questions. Tell the recept. that you have to talk to him today, and that you'll wait for his call. I've had my doctor call me back as late as 8pm, and fortunatly he has never complained. Patients have rights, and I'd be willing to bet they are posted in his office. Don't let them intimadate you. Get the answers your looking for. Right now, wether you like it or not, your doc is your best friend !! It took me a month before my pain subsided, and I was on pain meds. Good luck.

BCG

Re: Bad Doctor!

Susan U on 5/03/01 at 10:57 (046483)

I sure wish you had gone to a different dr. in the first place. I can't believe the way you have been treated through all this. I hope when it is over you send off a letter to the AMA or whatever.

I am 3 weeks and 1 day post-op. I have been walking using only a quadcane for 2 weeks. I never had any cast of any kind. The only problem I am having is the incision has opened quite a bit since the stitches were removed and it oozes alot. I noticed when I walked yesterday the usual pain in the bottom of my heel was almost completely gone! I was shocked! Don't get me wrong, it did come back, but not bad at all. I know everyone is different, but I personally don't like the sound of your progress.

I have a friend who had surgery on her knee. Afterwards, she was in severe pain. She contacted her dr. everyday and was told to give it time. She went to physical therapy, did her exercises, rested, but nothing helped. She developed a fever and the pain got worse and worse. Still her dr. said not to worry. Well, finally she had enough!!! She asked me who my orthopedic dr. is. She went to see him and he found she had a severe infection and not only that, the operation had been botched. She had to be hospitalized with anti-biotics. Then he had to operate again to fix the mess the first dr. did. It was like night and day. Within days of the second surgery, her pain was virtually gone. She was able to move and do much more at physical therapy. Today, aside from the scar, you'd never think there was anything wrong with her knee. Thank God she went with her instincts and saw another dr. This might be something you may want to consider. Contact your insurance co. and let them know the problems you are having with reaching your dr. and how you feel you are not being treated right. Ask them to give you authorization to get a second opinion. Don't suffer anymore!!!!

God bless!

Re: Bad Doctor!/ or bad tammie

Tammie on 5/03/01 at 14:15 (046512)

Hi,
I know allot of things sound not to good and me myself hve questioned the facts of whether I mad a educated decision on the Dr.s treating me. I just didnt really think as they are board certified and I did check to see that. I should have known that maybe they were not a good kind of DR. for Me. But u know when u are impatient and in a hurry for closure and some progress u tend to think with pain and not your mind. I dont say that they are poor dr.s cause that i could not judge. I say they have much to much going on with more then one or 2 offices. I think that there setup is not the best. And I think that they ASSUME we should know things. I unfortuantly have not delt with this type of problem before so am very ignorant of things which is why I came here in the first place, thankfully I have recieved guidence and help here even if I didnt want to hear it,lol. It is most likely that I am not a model patient either poor Dr.s, as I suppose I could be the type to hear what I want to hear as I am a very impatient person. Then if they would be blunt and say look it is a time thing it will be this long at least dont worry before then or if u feel something that is bothereing u feel free to call office as we are here to listen to u or help u understand why or what is hurting. I have not had this option. sp therefore the problems

SuzanneK on 5/03/01 at 18:23 (046529)

Tammie - I know it is hard, but you must be patient. It will take a long time for your foot to heal. I found using one crutch as a support was extremely helpful. I do understand about the ankle pain. My doctor explained that as the muscles adjusting to a decreased tension in the foot - everything changes. That made sense to me. Listen to your foot - it will tell you when you've done too much. Be sure to keep icing and elevating - that is critical. It was a good 6 - 8 weeks after surgery before I felt anywhere close to 'normal.' Don't overdo! It only makes you worry more about the healing process.