Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

2nd ART treatment today

Posted by Kay S on 5/02/01 at hrmin (046432)

Even though I don't have that much to report yet, I thought I'd better give some kind of progress note to those of you who know that I started getting ART. (thanks to Donna, who pointed me in this direction) I went once last week and again today, almost a week later. After the first tx., I can't say I noticed any significant improvement, but I know I wasn't worse, and if I had to choose between better or worse, I'd pick better. The doc told me my intrinsic muscles are ALL tight in my feet, moreso in the left (my worst foot) and he pushed and compressed and twisted here and there for almost an hour. I went away sore, but I actually do think this may help. The reason is not scientific, but somehow I am hopeful about this therapy.
It does hurt at times when he is doing it, but mostly when he hits those tender spots on my feet, and believe me, there are PLENTY of those!!! He backs off if I complain, and says it should hurt less and less every time I go (after some of the muscles are stretched/released, that is).
He wouldn't take my insurance because of the goofy way they pay, so I had to pay up front and send in my own forms. There isn't anyone else who is close who is certified in lower extremity, so if I wanted this therapy, it was either pay or not go. He is an hour's drive from my house, so this is all costing a lot in both time and money. But if it helps, it will be well worth both.
I will keep you posted on my progress.
Thanks, Donna
Kay

Re: 2nd ART treatment today

Donna SL on 5/03/01 at 01:57 (046458)

Hi Kay,

I'm so glad you started the ART. I responded to your post on the Social Board, but I think it got lost in the message crash the other day. I'm really excited about this, and I know the ART will only help you. Give it a chance, and stick with it. You should feel better each time. It helps to walk after the session. Is there anywhere you can walk around before you get back in to your car to drive home for around 10 to 15 minutes? My doc told me this is helpful in holding the manipulations he did. Otherwise, make sure to take a walk when you get home. Also, it's good to stretch the muscles, and ice sometimes latter that day. Is he doing any foot, or ankle adjustments in additon, and has he done any active release on your lower legs? He will know by touch if these areas are tight. You'll notice with increasing treatments how much more fluid your gait becomes.

Are you going to be going twice a week? That's the ideal situation. I know that must be tough traveling that distance. I should count my blessings. My chiropractor is 5 minutes from me, and his office is right across the street from the beautiful Marina in SF, with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge. I feel happy every time I go there, and see that.

Please keep me informed of your progress.

Donna

Kay S on 5/03/01 at 18:30 (046530)

Today I am so sore!!! THe doc told me that if my soreness lasts more than 48 hours, he will scale back on the ART and do some lighter compression, or whatever they call it. I have iced today a couple of times, which helps a little, but I just know that my feet are really tender.
He is just doing my feet, but you know what? My ankles are starting to feel achy and it goes up my legs, so I am going to tell him this next time and see if he thinks he should do something there too. However, I am already getting both feet done, so I don't know how he will squeeze in all the areas that hurt.
He told me he can feel 'gritty' areas on some of my foot muscles, and those should be worked out with these treatments. He is also working on my tts scar, which apparently has formed scar tissue underneath. That foot is still a tad swollen compared to the other one. He grasps my heel and twists with his other hand on my ankle, and it is one of those things that 'hurts so good'. It also hurts my toes when he manipulates them, but afterwards, it makes me feel like I have more mobility.
I am going to continue with this and will keep you informed of my progress---------I hope! (the progress, I mean)
Kay

Donna SL on 5/06/01 at 17:36 (046819)

Hi Kay,

If you're having a lot of inflammation initially especially for more than a day or two, tell the chiropractor to go a little lighter next time, until things lossen up a bit. I had some mild inflammation in the begining, but my feet felt better otherwise, and it got less after the second or third treatment. You may have a little more scar tissue than me due to surgery, and maybe that's why he was pushing harder. My chiropractor started out very gentle, yet the treatment has been just as effective. The only spots he has been working on a little harder is around my ankles, because the tissue is hard as a rock there. I think this is what helped reduce some pressure on the nerves already. Also, around 2 weeks ago he went a little deeper than he normally does on my right arch, because I had a spot that felt like a rock there too, and had always been sore. I was more sore than normal the next day, but now it feels fine, and he completely got rid of that horrible sore spot/lesion or whatever it was in my arch that has been bothering me for over a year. (It was like a micro ESWT). If you have your chiro go a little more gentle in the beginning, it will be just as effective, but may just require a few extra sessions.

Donna

Donna SL on 5/03/01 at 01:57 (046458)

Hi Kay,

I'm so glad you started the ART. I responded to your post on the Social Board, but I think it got lost in the message crash the other day. I'm really excited about this, and I know the ART will only help you. Give it a chance, and stick with it. You should feel better each time. It helps to walk after the session. Is there anywhere you can walk around before you get back in to your car to drive home for around 10 to 15 minutes? My doc told me this is helpful in holding the manipulations he did. Otherwise, make sure to take a walk when you get home. Also, it's good to stretch the muscles, and ice sometimes latter that day. Is he doing any foot, or ankle adjustments in additon, and has he done any active release on your lower legs? He will know by touch if these areas are tight. You'll notice with increasing treatments how much more fluid your gait becomes.

Are you going to be going twice a week? That's the ideal situation. I know that must be tough traveling that distance. I should count my blessings. My chiropractor is 5 minutes from me, and his office is right across the street from the beautiful Marina in SF, with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge. I feel happy every time I go there, and see that.

Please keep me informed of your progress.

Donna

Kay S on 5/03/01 at 18:30 (046530)

Today I am so sore!!! THe doc told me that if my soreness lasts more than 48 hours, he will scale back on the ART and do some lighter compression, or whatever they call it. I have iced today a couple of times, which helps a little, but I just know that my feet are really tender.
He is just doing my feet, but you know what? My ankles are starting to feel achy and it goes up my legs, so I am going to tell him this next time and see if he thinks he should do something there too. However, I am already getting both feet done, so I don't know how he will squeeze in all the areas that hurt.
He told me he can feel 'gritty' areas on some of my foot muscles, and those should be worked out with these treatments. He is also working on my tts scar, which apparently has formed scar tissue underneath. That foot is still a tad swollen compared to the other one. He grasps my heel and twists with his other hand on my ankle, and it is one of those things that 'hurts so good'. It also hurts my toes when he manipulates them, but afterwards, it makes me feel like I have more mobility.
I am going to continue with this and will keep you informed of my progress---------I hope! (the progress, I mean)
Kay

Donna SL on 5/06/01 at 17:36 (046819)

Hi Kay,

If you're having a lot of inflammation initially especially for more than a day or two, tell the chiropractor to go a little lighter next time, until things lossen up a bit. I had some mild inflammation in the begining, but my feet felt better otherwise, and it got less after the second or third treatment. You may have a little more scar tissue than me due to surgery, and maybe that's why he was pushing harder. My chiropractor started out very gentle, yet the treatment has been just as effective. The only spots he has been working on a little harder is around my ankles, because the tissue is hard as a rock there. I think this is what helped reduce some pressure on the nerves already. Also, around 2 weeks ago he went a little deeper than he normally does on my right arch, because I had a spot that felt like a rock there too, and had always been sore. I was more sore than normal the next day, but now it feels fine, and he completely got rid of that horrible sore spot/lesion or whatever it was in my arch that has been bothering me for over a year. (It was like a micro ESWT). If you have your chiro go a little more gentle in the beginning, it will be just as effective, but may just require a few extra sessions.

Donna